Sort file:- Greenwich, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1823-

(Name from)

Golden Anchor

Closed 1902

Crowleys Wharf (Crane StreetPigot's Directory 1832-34)


Golden Anchor painting 1822

The scene depicts the embarkation of King George IV on August 10th 1822 for the first visit to Scotland by a reigning monarch since 1650.

The Crowley warehouse forms the background to the point of departure with other buildings visible on Highbridge and the Greenwich Hospital beyond.

The "Golden Anchor" public house is illuminated by a shaft of sunlight on the extreme left of the scene.

Golden Anchor watercolour 1824

A view of Crowley's Wharf and warehouse 1824, looking west towards Greenwich Hospital from the projecting western corner of what is now Anchor Iron Wharf. Vessels are moored off Crane Wharf, beyond the riverfront "Crown and Sceptre" tavern (centre of picture) which was the easternmost building on Crane Street before it opens on Trinity Hospital Wharf. A house with dentelled eves and a central arch or door stands immediately to the left, also facing the river. Its style suggests a date of about 1700 and by the 19th century it had become the 'Golden Anchor' inn, (extreme left). The warehouse was demolished in 1853 and Crowley House was cleared away in May 1855 after failing to find a new buyer. The site then remained generally open, with later use as a horse-drawn tram depot and stables, until Greenwich Power Station was built there from 1906. The picture must pre-date 1837 since the prominent "Trafalgar Tavern," built in that year, is not shown.

Site of Golden Anchor

Above photo showing the site of the Golden Anchor.


It is suggested that this may have originally operated under the name of either the "Anchor and Crown" or "Crown and Anchor."

Also addressed at 7 Anchor wharf, in the 1852 directory. Listed at Millingtons Wharf in the 1871 census and at Bennett Street by 1891.

This pub was compulsorily purchased by the London County Council in 1902 and demolished to make way for Greenwich Power Station. The name is still remembered in the name of Golden Anchor Stairs which lead down to the Thames at the site.

A total of 38 separate sets of premises were acquired by the Council in 1902. Of these, the house and the "Golden Anchor" by the river belonged to Colonel Alfred Margery and were leased to the City of London Brewery. The remainder were in Hoskins Street, Alfred Place and the Old Woolwich Road. They were owned by Merton College, but leased to just four individuals: Charles Robinson, Charles Smith, Frederick Fountain and Edgar Banks. 34 of the premises were recorded as being houses and in 1902 were occupied by 169 ‘persons of the Labouring Class’.

Further information regarding the building of the power station can be seen here:-


As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation.



JAMES William 1823-41+ (age 55 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1832-34

TRENCH William 1852+

TRENCH Ann 1855-62+

CARTER George Thomas 1866-Jan/72 (also lighterman age 50 in 1871Census)

BEACH Alfred Jan/1872+

HURLEY A A 1874+

MARTIN William 1881-82+ (age 33 in 1881Census)

MOSELEY Charles H 1891+ (age 37 in 1891Census)

Closed 1902


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-