DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 17 August, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1729

Blacksmith's Arms

Open 2019+

Cudham Lane South

Cudham

01959 572678

https://whatpub.com/blacksmiths-arms

Blacksmith's Arms

Above photo, date unknown.

Blacksmiths Arms

Above postcard, date unknown.

Blacksmith's Arms sign 1993Blacksmith's Arms sign 2013

Above sign left, June 1993, sign right 2013.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

Blacksmith's Arms matchbox

Above matchbox, date unknown, kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

Blacksmith's Arms

Above photo circa 2014.

Blacksmith's Arms bar

Above photo, date unknown.

Blacksmith's Arms bar

Above photo, date unknown.

Blacksmith's Arms

Above photo, date unknown.

 

The “Blacksmith’s Arms” was built during the reign of Charles I (1625–1649) in the year 1628. The property at this stage is described as a farm dwelling with stables. The earliest recorded occupant is one Nathaniel Myndecote, a farmer and blacksmith of the parish of Apuldrefield, a title by which that area of Cudham was then known. Myndecote purchased the property in 1638.

A sale inventory of 1669 describes the property thus:- One messuage, four acres of arable land, one wooded parcel of land, one forge anvil and tack, two mares one in foal and at this date was purchased by one Henry Springett Lockyer, a blacksmith of the parish of Knockholt, who on his deathbed in 1703 bequeathed the property, then described solely as a blacksmith’s forge and dwelling, to his wife Naomi, also recorded as a blacksmith.

Naomi Lockyer’s maiden name was Ward, and in 1729 the property was purchased by one Marcus Ward, a beer retailer and blacksmith of the parish. The Ward family had for many years owned a registered ale house situated near the forge, known as the Anvil and later the Blacksmith’s Arms, which was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 1721. On October the 10th 1729, an ale and cider licence was granted to a Marcus Ward, and in 1730, the sign of the “Blacksmith’s Arms” was hung on the present site.

For many years, Marcus Ward continued his trade as a blacksmith, while his wife Eleanor ran the Inn. After his death in 1781, Eleanor Ward sold the property to one Henry George Wilson, an Innkeeper of Bromley for 100 guineas. In 1829, the Inn once again was in the hands of the Ward family when it was purchased by one Jonathan Ward, grandson of Marcus Ward.

This was a tied "Fleet Brewery" pub in 1865 when the brewery was put up for auction.

In 1865, the “Blacksmith’s Arms” was purchased by one Richard Relph. Relph’s wife bore him fifteen children, one of whom, born at the Inn in 1868, named Harry went on to become famous as the legendary music stall star “Little Titch” (1868-1928).

In 1878, Richard Relph sold the Inn to one Charles Watson, town crier of Bromley. Watson was for many years a crier and post-master of the village and parish of Cudham, and the “Blacksmith’s Arms” a posting house where the mail was left for Watson to distribute.

The “Blacksmith’s Arms” has seen and undergone many changes since it was first built, but its historic atmosphere and character remains unchanged. So come and enjoy the fayre and reflect on those bygone days.

 

South Eastern Gazette 30 August 1859.

TO INNKEEPERS AND OTHERS. TO LET.

With immediate Possession, if required.

An excellent Country Inn, doing a first-rate business, and very desirably situated in a flourishing agricultural district; together with an acre of valuable Fruit Plantation. The above has been in the possession of the advertiser for 15 years.

Apply to Mr. G. Crane, Cudham, Bromley, Kent.

 

Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser 23 April 1937.

BIGGIN HILL. WEDDING.

Mr. Charles Wood, for many years licensee of the "Blacksmith's Arms," Cudham, and formerly of the "Black Horse," Biggin Hill, was married on Tuesday to Miss Annie Elizabeth Belsham, of Knockholt. Mr. Wood was a member of the old Cudham Parish Council and is very well known throughout the district.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WARD John 1828-40+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34

CRANE George 1847-59+ (also carpenter age 33 in 1851Census)

WATSON Charles 1882+

HOWARD Charles Henry Albert 1891-1903+ (age 40 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

WOOD Charles Thomas 1913+

Last pub licensee had WOOD Charles 1937+

COLE George & Joyce 2003-18

CHIPPS Anthony Lloys 2019-20+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/BlacksmithsArms.shtml

https://www.bblhs.org.uk/blacksmiths-arms-cudham

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML