DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Saturday, 05 June, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1861-

White Horse

1929+

(To new)

The Street

Finglesham

Original White Horse at Finglesham

Above picture shows (almost) the original White Horse at Finglesham. The pub would have been to the left of the picture, the sign just showing. The original public house has long been replaced with houses as shown in the photograph below, and is almost opposite the Crown.

Site of original White Horse at Finglesham

Above photograph by Paul Skelton, 16 May 2009.

Crown and original White Horse at Finglesham

The above aerial photograph shows the Crown, top centre and the houses bottom left, where the original White Horse used to stand.

 

From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 8 February, 1929.

ANNUAL LICENSING MEETING

The application of Edwin George Wildin for the removal of the licence to new premises, to be constructed at Broad lane, Finglesham; was approved.

 

 

The census of 1861 showed both Mr and Mrs Pritchard at the premises, the husband being a shoemaker whilst his wife was identified as a Beer Retailer.

 

LICENSEE LIST

PRITCHARD Henry 1861+ (listed only as cordwainer age 59 in 1871Census)

PRITCHARD Elizabeth 1861-1901+ (widow age 70 in 1901Census)

HARRISON William to Apr/1927 Dover Express

WOOD John Arthur Apr/1927+ Dover Express (A miner at Tilmanstone)

WILDEN/WILDIN George 1929+ Dover Express

 

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML