Sort file:- Birchington, May, 2021.

Page Updated:- Monday, 10 May, 2021.


Earliest 1874

(Name from)

Sea View Inn

Open 2020+

96 Station Road


01834 841660

Sea View Inn 1952

Above photo 1952. Creative Commons Licence.

Sea View 2011

Above photo taken from the Shepherd Neame website, 2011.

Sea View Inn

Above photo date unknown.

Sea View Sign 2011

Above sign 2011.

Sea View 1994

Photos taken 1994 from by John Law.

Sea View

Above photo taken with permission from Saunders family web.

Seaview 2009

Above photo 2011 by Oast House Archives Creative Commons Licence.

Sea View Hotel 2019

Above photo 2019.

Sea View Hotel 2019

Above photo 2019.


Located in the centre of this old-fashioned seaside village, The "Seaview Hotel" is a warm, family-friendly pub with a down-to-earth atmosphere and an excellent selection of cask ales and great food.

Built at the turn of the 19th century, The "Seaview" is as traditional as English pubs get, with a large horseshoe-shaped bar, a warming solid-fuel burner during the colder months and comfortable seating.

The menu is created from locally produced, freshly cooked food and popular choices are filled baguettes and panini to substantial jacket potatoes and a range of pies such as steak and ale.

Entertainment centres round the well-used darts board with pool, cribbage and shove ha'penny as well as live music, quiz and gourmet nights. Family quiz nights in the Ask the Family format are soon to be introduced.

What our customers say:-

"This is a hostelry with every single thing going for it, and you are assured a lovely time there. A five star pub with two star prices." David.


From an email received 23 November 2019.

Hi Paul.

I have some interesting information re the above hotel, discovered in a family bible, following the recent death of my father.

It appears that the hotel had become known as the "Sea View" as early as 1874. At the front of the bible is a dedication to "Mr and Mrs Moss of the "Sea View Hotel," Birchington, Kent, by two of the survivors of the lamentable boat accident which took place off Epple Bay on Thursday afternoon July 16th 1874. In remembrance of the great kindness, sympathy and assistance afforded them in that terrible calamity." (Signed) Mr William Augustus Morley, John Ackery.

The print date of the bible is 1873. Mr and Mrs Moss were William Moss, born 1840, and Rhoda Moss, born 1839. They are my Great-Great Grandparents. William died in Birchington in 1876 (aged just 36). Rhoda then moved to Canterbury, where she ran the "Sun Inn," Sun Street until her death in 1898. Her daughter Kate Louisa Moss ran it for some time thereafter. She later married Walter Robson (Snr). Their son, also Walter, ran the "Prince of Wales" at Herne Bay from 1930 until just before the outbreak of WW2.

It seems that every ancestor I can trace on my father's side ran a pub or hotel in Kent!

Kind regards, Robbie Robson, (not a publican!).


Barry J White suggests this was originally the "Railway Tavern," and would have changed name between 1874 and 1882. The following reference to the above mentioned boat accident shows the premises had definitely changed name by 1874.


Thanet Advertiser, Saturday 25 July 1874.



On Saturday morning the inquest on the bodies of three of the unfortunate persons who lost their lives by the sad boat accident on the previous Thursday was commenced, at the Town Hall, before T. H. Boys, Esq, borough coroner, when the following evidence was adduced:—

The bodies of the deceased Mr. Joseph Jeffery, Mrs. Selina Jeffery, and Mr. William Houghton Flintan, having been viewed in the dead house Mr. Foster Jeffery, colonial agent, of 4, Crown-Terrace, Lavender-hill, London, identified the bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Jeffery as his brother and his wife. Witness added: The former it 41 years of age, and the latter I should think about 38. My brother was an auctioneer, and lived at 11, Bessborough Gardens. Pimlico. I last saw them alive about three weeks ago, in their usual health. I only heard of the accident yesterday afternoon.

Mr. William Flintan deposed:- I live at Maida Villa, Upper Richmond-road. I identify the body of William Houghton Flintan as that of my son, who would be 21 in August next. I last saw him about six weeks or two months ago in good health. He was a cripple in the hip joint, but he could swim or walk a mile well.

Wm. Hawse, a mariner, belonging to Colchester, said:- About eleven o'clock yesterday morning I picked up the body of the deceased Mr. Jeffery off Deal. It was floating, and was dressed in a blue serge suit. I brought it into the roads, and came into Margate and reported it. A Margate boat then came out and fetched it in.

George Morris said:- I am a boatman, and live in Margate. On Tuesday last I was on the Pier, and seeing the Prince of Wales stop a short distance out I and others manned a boat and went to her. We were then informed that a boat had capsized. We went to it — about three miles from Margate — and found the boat bottom upwards. We turned it over and were towing the boat in, and in clearing the sail rope round his neck. Besides the "painter" rope he was held fast with the sheet. We cut the rope, and the other boat being a lighter boat we put the body in that and sent it ashore. I thought if there was any life he should be put ashore as quickly as possible. The knot tied was a "timber hitch," and I believe he was trying to put it over his arms and it got round his neck. The sheet was dragging in the water.
Mr. William Augustus Morley deposed:- I am staying at ths "Sea View Hotel," Birchington, and my London address is 1, Stockwell crescent, Clapham-road, and I am a partner in the firm of George Stower and Co., Jury Street. I made the acquaintance of Mr. Jeffery down here, and we agreed to go out for a sale from Epple Bay on Thursday afternoon last. When we started it was about twenty minutes to three o'clock, according to Mr. Jeffery's watch. The party consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Jeffery, Miss Moore, Mr. Flintan, Mr. Ackery, myself, and three coastguardsmen, named Hedge, Miller, and Elliott. The boat was the galley, a long boat. The weather was very fine, but with a heavy swell on the sea. They thought it was a good wind for a sail. Within two minutes after starting we put the sail up, and went we think, about two miles. We went out comfortably without shipping any water. About three o'clock Mrs. Jeffery felt ill, and said she should like to return, and we turned round for the purpose of returning home.

In reply to a question the witness said he thought the deceased wished to return, first because she was ill, and secondly because she was alarmed.

Examination continued:- We think it was about six or seven minutes after we were on our return, when a sea suddenly came into one side of the boat and we were all in the sea in a moment. It came in the contrary side to the swell, and not where I should have expected. The sail was up, and Hedge, the chief boatman, was steering. The sheet was held by one of the boatmen and not tied. When the sea came in, as far as I can recollect, we were all thrown out. For some few minutes I was unconscious of what took place, but when I rose to the surface the boat was bottom upwards. The first thing I recollect was Mr. Flintan laid hold of me and dragged me down, but I am unconscious of how be got loose from me. The next thing I recollect was swimming to the boat and catching hold. The boat then turned over, and I cannot say for certain whether I took hold of the keel or the top. When I got to the boat I only saw three persons — one boatman (Miller), Mr. Ackery, and myself. I remember seeing Hedge, and hearing him say "Let me try and right the boat," but when it was I do not know; I think it must have been before this. I think it must have been before Mr. Flintan took hold of me, before I came up then. I saw Mr. Jeffery about fifty yards off, as if he was floating and expected to be picked up. He appeared to me to be conscious, and not at all like a dead man. I saw one lady by the side of my friend Mr. Ackery, and that turned out to be Miss Moore. I said "Is she gone?" and Mr. Ackery replied "Yes." Afterwards I saw poor Flintan some distance off, as it seemed to me in the rigging. He apparently looked dead. We can only say from conjecture how long we were in the water; but I looked to the Jetty, hoping to see the steamer, and she had not then left. We thought we were in the water about forty-five minutes, supposing the steamer left the Jetty at half-last three. It must have been from seven to ten minutes past three when the accident happened, and I suppose the steamboat would take about a quarter of an hour to get from the Jetty to us. We had great difficulty in clinging on to the boat, as she constantly turned over. As soon as we got on to the keel she turned round, and we had to swim for her again. The next thing I recollect was the steamer coming up. I saw the smoke, and we hallooed as soon as she got near us, but I fancy the captain saw us before. It was wonderful the way they got a boat out to assist us. The steamer stopped about a hundred yards beyond us, and the boat was lowered instantly and sent back to us. We were all very much exhausted when we were picked up. I heard a boatman on the Prince of Wales say "Here is a woman." I was almost unconscious at the time, but I recollect seeing a woman put up into the steamer, and we were all brought back to Margate Jetty. I cannot say that I know much about boats. There were nine of us started, and I said to Hedge, the chief boatman, "Don't you think we are rather heavily set; shall one of us go forward?" and be replied "No, you cannot be better than you are." I should not say we were overladen for another boat, but I never liked that boat. It is, I think, 24 feet long. We had been twice before in the same boat, and with two of the same boatmen. Hedge, and another. The first time four of us went, and the second time seven, Mr. Flintan being away in London. The boat behaved very well on these occasions. When we had seven we sailed as far as Reculvers, and had to row back. There was then very little wind and no sea. I could not say whether we asked them to take us for a sail or they asked us. I did not know it was contrary to the rules of the coastguard service. On the contrary, Hedge said it was not against the regulations to take us out in a friendly way. Mr. Jeffery said he was going out, and I said I should like to go.

The Foreman:- Who engaged the boat?

Witness:- It was a joint affair. We have upon previous occasions given the men something.

Mr. Wright:- Had there been any other boatmen, would you have employed them?

Witness:- We should have employed other boats in preference. The boat before this occasion, had not more than seven in to my knowledge.

By Mr. Cobb:- We went straight out to sea, and came back nearer to Epple Bay than Birchington.

By another Juryman:- I have not the slightest idea how the sail slipped. There was no crash. The water came from the opposite side of the boat, and contrary to the swell.

By the Coroner:- A coastguard handled the boat all the time, and they were quite sober.

The witness here stated that he should like to bear his testimony to the faithfulness of the three coastguardsmen. They behaved well, and he thought that ought to come forward. They behaved remarkably well. It was purely an accident and there was nothing on board in the shape of refreshments. They were first-rate men, and no blame was attributable to anyone.

The witness Morris was here re-called, and in reply to the Coroner as to whether the mast was broken when they found the boat he said "No; I heard Knight, who was with me, say that the iron off the thwart was gone, but I did not notice the boat myself. It looked as though it had slipped out and was shoved under the thwart to prevent it falling out.

The Coroner:- has the mast remained in the boat would it have assisted in righting her?

Witness:- Oh, no, sir. The sail was all down and so were the halyards.

Joseph Knight, boatman, gave corroborative evidence. He added that there was a little hole in the boat, which might have been caused either by the mast coming out, or that it might have been occasioned by the anchor, which they threw out to turn the boat over. Witness saw nothing to lead him to believe that the boat had been badly handled. Where the boat went out there was more sea than in all the roads.

In reply to the Coroner, the witness said that he thought that nine people in the boat on such a day were too many. He thought it unsafe; so unsafe that they would not think of taking out such a number in their own boats, which were wider in the beam than the one in question.

Mr. John Ackory deposed:- I am staying at Birchington, am studying as a dentist, and reside at 86, Kennington Park-road, London. Last Thursday evening I went out for a sail from Epple Bay and formed one of the party. I was sitting in the boat on the same seat with the boatman Miller and we had been out about half an hour when the accident occurred. One of the boatmen said we were out about a couple of miles. I was sitting talking to Miller when the boat filled. We all went out and I was thrown into the middle of the sail. The wave came on from one side slightly and the boat filled from the other. We went out the side the boat filled. When we first capsized I was thrown into the middle of the sail and I struck out to clear myself and then swam back to the boat. When I got back the boat was in its proper position, but filled with water. I think Hedge had turned it over. Hedge was at the other side of the boat, Millar was at the stern, I got about the centre, and Mr. Morley was at the bows. Those were all I saw. Hedge seemed to be totally overcome in a few minutes, dropped his head and shortly after disappeared. Before that I heard him say "Let me right her." We judge we were in the water about 45 minutes before the Prince of Wales came along. I sprang up the side of the steamer I hardly know how, and was taken down to the cabin, so I saw no one landed I had been out in the same boat before, and I did not feel at all nervous when I started out on Thursday. Hedge said it was safe, remarking at the lime that he was too careful of himself to go out if there was any danger.

Mr. Morley here stated that both Mr. Jeffrey and he had asked Hedge that morning about the safety, and he replied that he had a wife and six children, intimating that there was reason why he should be careful of himself. Hedge also said "If I thought that there was the slightest danger I would take the corks, but there is no necessity of taking them and lumber the boat."

Mr. Wright:- Then a long conversation must have taken place between you and the boatman in reference to the matter. Something must have occurred to you.

Mr. Morley:- It was a choppy sea and I thought it necessary to put the question to him. If he had said it was not safe I should not have gone.

Mr. Wright:- What was your motive for asking? Did you think the sea was dangerous?

Mr. Morley:- I could not say what sort of a sea it was except that it was choppy and I did not like it, and I thought if there was any danger that would have ended the matter, and we should not have gone.

Mr. W. H. Thornton, surgeon, practising at Margate, deposed:- Last Thursday evening, about twenty minutes past four o'clock, I was fetched by a flyman to the Jetty, and on going down the Jetty I met the deceased Mrs. Jeffery being carried towards the warm baths. It struck me when I first saw her that she was dead. There were two gentlemen working her arms about with the idea of producing artificial respiration, and considering the difficulties of the position I think they were doing right. She was taken to the warm baths at Phillpott's and artificial respiration carried on for some considerable time, although it appeared from the first a perfectly hopeless case. I saw no external marks, as far as I could examine, and there was but little doubt she was drowned. Mr. Flintan went through the same process half an hour afterwards, but he was hopelessly gone. In both cases the eyes were placid. I saw no mark of a rope round Mr. Flintan's neck. I should think he had been drowned; there was a most peaceful expression of contentance and no marks of strangulation.

By the Foreman:- I do not know what means were adapted on board the steamer, but artificial respiration is the chief thing and that could have been done on board. I suppose something was done there, but I think Mrs. Jeffrey was past all hope. There was some gentleman moat indefatigable.

Superintendent Compton at this stage said that was all the evidence he should be able to produce to-day. The boatman Miller was very ill and could not attend the inquiry.

Before adjourning it was thought desirable to examine Mr. Edward Latto, chief officer at the Epple Bay Station, who gave evidence as follows:- On Monday afternoon last I went on leave, leaving the station a little after one o'clock. I returned at nine, and did not hear of the accident till then. While I was absent the chief boatman, John Hedge, bad charge of the boat and was responsible during my absence. The general order is never to run any risk with the boat. It was contrary to all roles to run my risk. Taking personal friends out for a sail or row is done, but not for payment. Where there is no boat and a gentleman asks for a sail, as long as there is no charge made, I don't think it is against the regulations of the service. I gave orders that no payment was to be received. I know Mr. Jeffery, as he lodged within 50 yards of my house.

Mr. Morley here informed the court that Mr. Jeffery had said that Mr. Latto had particularly told him not to give the men anything, but be said "What I purpose doing is to get them a book each when I get back to town."
Mr. Latto:- I have seen Miller, and although it is not right to disturb him now I think he will get better.

The Foreman:- I understand then that it is not contrary to the rules to take persons out in your boats. A guard for instance could not givo a ride in his break for nothing.

Mr. Latto: There is no order to say I can do it, but it would be hard if a friend asked me and I could not do it.

The Foreman:- Do you think the boat is fit to carry nine people?

Mr. Latto: Yes, if it is fine weather.

The Foreman:- It is a narrow boat, is it not?

Mr. Latto:- It is five feet.

The Coroner:- Did you notice the sea when yon left?

Mr. Latto: It was not as bad as afterwards, and there was not much wind then. If I had been at the station at the time they went out I should never have let the boat out at all under the circumstances.

Mr. Foreman:- Was she seaworthy?

Mr. Latto: Oh, yes, in fair condition.

Mr. Wright:- For nine persons?

Mr. Latto: Yes.

The Coroner:- Then you would not have objected to the boat going out because there were nine people in her, but simply on account of the weather?

Mr. Latto:- Yes, simply on account of the weather.

The Foreman:- Would you have let the boat go out with six people that afternoon?

Mr. Latto:- No, not at all if I had been at the station.

Mr. Kennard:- Is the boat as large as the row boats on the beach here?

Mr. Latto:- As long, but of less depth. It is a galley — a usual coastguard galley.

The Coroner then intimated that he should adjourn the cause until Wednesday next for the attendance of the boatman Millar. If in the meantime he found Millar got worse and could not attend he should most likely go and take his disposition. The disadvantage however of that would be that the Jury would not have an opportunity of asking him any questions, and he therefore suggested that the Foreman might go over to Epple Bay with him (the Coroner).

This suggestion was concurred in by the Jury, and the enquiry was then formally adjourned till ten o'clock on Wednesday morning next.


The inquiry was re-opened at the Town Hall on Wednesday, when Henry Miller said:- I am a coastguardsman at Epple Bay. On the day of the accident John Hedges, the chief boatman, came to me at one o'clock, and said he was going out in a boat with a party. Witness said he did not feel well, but did not mind going. They left at half-past two o'clock. The boat was perfectly seaworthy, and did not leak at all. We had lug-sails with two reefs. The last time I was out in the boat was a few days before the accident. I think Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey were in the boat, and that the master was taken with seasickness. On the day of the accident John Hedges was steering the boat. Persons were sitting aft and forward. In my opinion the boat was properly trimmed. I don't consider there were too many persons in the boat. A heavy sea, or sort of whirl of the sea, caught us. The water came just over the starboard quarter. I let go the sheet. I never saw a party sit so quiet as this party did. The boat was partly filled with water before she capsized. When I was thrown into the water I twice tried to get up, but could not. I lost sight of Elliott, but saw Mr. Jeffrey with his arms extended floating. I lost Miss Moore all at once; I gave her my handkerchief to hold on, and told her to do so tightly. I saw Hedges once or twice after the boat capsized. The waves turned the boat over and over several times. To the best of my belief we were in the water more than half an hour before the "Prince of Wales" came up. I have always been a good swimmer, and have heard that Hedges was good at swimming. The other poor fellow (Elliott), I believe, could not swim. I did not see any persona picked up by the "Prince of Wales."

By the Jury:- I have had great experience in seamanship. The boat has not been long at the station. We only use the boat occasionally for pleasure trips; it has not been used more than two or three times. I have never been refused the use of the boat. The party that were in the boat on the day of the accident were. I may say, friends; they were living close to the station. I have never had payment. When the slight breeze came the boat refused to rise with the waves. I did not see any rush. Hedges said something, but I could not make out what it was. I hardly know what I was doing myself. Had I thought there was any danger I should not have gone. I should not have got into any trouble had I refused to have gone out with the party.

Mr. Wright, one of the jury, said he had heard it remarked that the sea on the day of the accident was not fit for the boat to go out.

The witness said the wind changed after they had left, and, in reply to further questions, said that had the boat been started in an opposite direction the accident might not have happened. The boat was steered to a dangerous part.

By the jury:- It was a sort of cross sea, and the tide was just turning, which caused the sea to bubble.

Mr. Wright:- Is not the tide always more dangerous at this part?

Witness:- The tide is always different there to what it is elsewhere. One cannot sail there as in other parts, the crossing of the wind and tide together caused the accident.

Mr. Wright:- To your knowledge, have orders been issued by the Custom House authorities prohibiting coastguardsmen from taking passengers out?

The witness replied in the negative, and said that friends were only occasionally taken out in the boat, and no charge was made. He was off duty at the time. He believed that had there been a man at each end of the boat that it would not have capsized.

Mr. Wright said Mr. Edward Lotto had said that the boat was not safe.

Mr. Latto said he was away from Epple Bay at the time when the boat started, and therefore could not speak about the matter except from what he had been told.

The witness said ha had not the slightest apprehension of danger when the boat left Epple Bay.

The Rev. Mr. Benham said he should like the opinion of a practical boatman to the accident, as it would be satisfactory to the public, as there were rumours of indiscretion on the part of the boatmen, it having been alleged that the weather was unfit for boating.

The Coroner did not think it necessary to have the opinion of boatmen, as two of them might give quite different opinions.

Mr. Lee, a gentleman, well acquainted with boating, and who happened to be in court at the time, then expressed his opinion on the subject, at the request of the jury, and said that on the day of the accident the wind went down. He did not agree with Miller that the boat was heavy. The accident was caused in consequence of the sea following the wind as it lulled. He did not think that it was exactly prudent for so many to have gone out in the boat.

Miller, the witness who gave evidence, said the wind freshened about twelve o'clock.

Mr. Morley said, as regards the evidence given by him on the first day of the inquire, he wished it to be known that he had only engaged the boat once on a previous occasion, in conjunction with Mr. Jeffrey.

Miller, in reply to a question from the Rev. Mr. Bonham, said it was the duty of the coastguardsmen to watch the sea and look out for vessels. There were stations at both Westgate and Epple Bay. He could not say whether any of the men at these stations saw anything of the perilous position of the party.

Mr. Lee said had be been in charge of the boat he should have given more sail.

Lieutenant Lyon said in his opinion an opposite sea came, and the boat had not time to prepare for it. He did not think there was any indiscretion in going out in the boat on that day.

The jury then viewed the boat and a general opinion prevailed that the boat was sufficiently large for the number that were in it on the day of the accident, and several of the jurymen thought it was safe enough for a dozen.

The Coroner summed up the evidence, and in the course of his remarks said the jury would not have to consider whether or not the coastguardsmen were right or were wrong in taking the party out, as this was a matter for the consideration of the Government authorities. If anyone was to blame it was the chief boatman, who had been drowned. The boat appeared to be in good condition, and complete in every respect; it was not a boat that had been laid up on shore. The question of the extension of sail was a matter of opinion. There seemed to be an impression that had the two sails been shaken out the accident would not have occurred; but the evidence proved that every care had been taken, and that there was no sign of negligence whatsoever. The jury would have to consider whether the boat was over laden, but in his opinion it was fully competent for the party. He thought the seats were rather too high, and perhaps this caused the boat to be top-heavy. Of course, this was merely an opinion of his own. Taking all the circumstances of the case into consideration, he thought the jury would do well to adopt the advice of Dr. Thornton, and return a verdict of death from drowning.

The jury deliberated for about an hour, when the following verdict was returned:- "We are of opinion that the three persons, Joseph Jeffrey, Selina Jeffrey, and William Houghton Hinton, were accidentally drowned by the capsizing of a coastguard boat, and that the accident was caused by the boat not having enough sufficient was on her to cause her to rise quickly enough over the sea. We are also of opinion that during the trip all care was taken by the boatmen in the management of her, and that after the catastrophe they did everything that lay in their power to save the lives of their companions. We desire further to express our high sense of the admirable conduct of the captain and crew of the Prince of Wales steamboat for their energetic exertions on behalf of the survivors; and we would also add that high thanks are due to Mr. Philpott in giving the gratuitous use of his baths, &c. in the efforts that were made to restore life."

The Coroner thanked the jury for the attention they had given to the case, and the proceedings terminated.


The following letter appeared in the daily papers of Monday:—

Sir,— Will you kindly allow me the use of your columns for an appeal to the benevolent on behalf of the widows and families of the two coastguardsmen whose lives were lost in the sad boat accident at Birchington on Thursday, July 16th? One of them leaves a wife and six children, and the other a wife and three children. Both were sober and well-behaved men, possessed of three good-conduct badges, one of them having been lately promoted, on account of his having been just recommended for promotion by the Inspecting-commander. It is hoped that a sufficient amount may be raised in answer to this appeal to place the unhappy sufferers out of reach of poverty, as beyond paying into the Compassionate Fund (from which but a very small sum will be received) no provision could be made. The third coastguard in the boat was picked up in a very exhausted state — after endeavouring to save the life of one of the ladies, and is now obliged to keep his bed. He has seven children, and his wife is expecting her confinement very shortly, so that it is desirable that something also should be done for him. The facts of the case can be testified to by the survivors, or by the Inspecting-Commander, Captain Leicester C. Keppel R.N., Ramsgate; and any donation will be thankfully received and acknowledged by Lieutenant C. Lyon, R.N., Birchington; Mr. W. Larchin, Birchington; or by myself; or can be paid into Messrs. Cobb's Bank. Margate.

I am. Sir, yours, faithfully,

J. P. ALCOCK, Jun., Vicar of Birchington, Thanet.


Thanet Times, Tuesday 9 March, 1965.

Not so much a business more a way of life.

Walter Scott Welton 1965

Mr. Walter Scott Welton, licensee of the "Seaview Hotel," Station Road, Birchington, has the trade in his blood, for his father and grandfather before him were licensees. But it might so easily have been otherwise so far as Mr. Welton is concerned, for on leaving school he went to London University to study for his B.Sc.

Born in London ("I'm a Cockney,") he decided to leave the university in 1921 and help his father who had the "Ship Inn," Weybridge.

"My father was in the trade for over 50 years and I must say I have never regretted making that decision all those years ago," he said.

From Weybridge, Mr. Welton went with his father to Deal and then took over his own pub, the "Station Hotel," Canterbury.

He has been at the "Seaview Hotel," Birchington, since 1930, and is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, serving licensee in Thanet.

Ably helped by his wife ("It has to be a partnership to succeed"). Mr. Welton has moulded the "Seaview Hotel" along the lines of a club rather than just a public house.

With the development of the village Mr. Welton's trade has grown likewise. "The ladies play an important part in our life today and I feel they are almost as important as the men," he said. "When you start in this trade it is just a business, but gradually it becomes a way of life," said Mr. Welton.

Hobbies? Well, Mr. Welton loves his game of golf and is a member of Westgate Golf Club. He is also no mean player of billiards and snooker.


From the By Kathy Bailes, 11 December, 2017.

The Seaview pub in Birchington has sold at auction.

The Seaview pub in Birchington has sold at auction for 350,000 – the lower end of its guide price.

The property in Station Road was owned by Kent brewery Shepherd Neame.

The auctioneer for Clive Emson said: “The property may be suitable for a variety of commercial uses, perhaps bed and breakfast, restaurant or even conversion/re-development entirely to residential, subject to all necessary consents being obtainable.”

The building contains three-bed accommodation plus four rooms which are let to guests. The freehold was being offered with vacant possession.

The Seaview, previously called the Railway Hotel, was opened in 1865.

It was built very shortly after the opening of the final section of the London to Ramsgate railway in 1863.

By 1882 the Hotel had been renamed The Sea View Hotel.

During March 2002, the Shepherd Neame Brewery awarded the Hotel The Most Improved Pub of the Year, in one of their annual awards. In the garden there stands a huge pair of ribs forming an arch. They were taken from a whale that beached itself at Minnis Bay in 1919.

The landlord of the time, Walter James Baker, was down at the Bay when the carcass was being dismembered for disposal and asked for the ribs, to act as a feature in his garden at the pub.

The auction took place at The Clive Emson Conference Centre in Maidstone this morning (December 11).

Shepherd Neame recently sold the "Sportsman" in Cliffsend and the "Orb" in Margate for development.




MOSS William 1874-76 dec'd (age 36 in 1876)

EDWARDS/FRIGHT James 1882+ Post Office Directory 1882

LISTED/HISTED Harry 1890-91+ (age 31 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891

WOOD Harold M 1901+

HAYWARD John 1903+

LYONS James 1913+ Post Office Directory 1913

DUNCAN James 1922+ Post Office Directory 1922

NASH Edward Charles 1938+ Post Office Directory 1938

Last pub licensee had BAKER Walter J during WW2

Last pub licensee had WELTON Walter Scott 1930-65+

MORGAN Mr S 2011+


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-