Sort file:- Canterbury, October, 2023.

Page Updated:- Monday, 30 October, 2023.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1803-

Royal Oak

Latest 1945-

22 Longport Street (Longport Row, St Pauls 1851Census)


Royal Oak 1880s

Above photo, 1880 kindly sent by Rory Kehoe. Possibly showing licensee Robert Butcher.

Royal Oak

Above photo circa 1880 kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

After a war torn Canterbury all that's left is the sign, destroyed in the blitz of 1942.. Kindly sent by Tim Timpson.

Above photo and overlay by Rory Kehoe 2017.

Royal Oak 1920

Above photo 1920, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe, of an outing for the "Royal Oak" regulars. The photo being taken two doors down outside Holden's Mineral Water Works. I am informed that the person back row, second from left is named R. Greenstreet.


The above pictures indicates that the pub once formed part of a short early post-medieval timber-framed range fronting directly on to the street.

The pub premises clearly had an extra floor added. There was also an extensive brick-built extension at the rear of the inn, of probable late Victorian or Edwardian date. Also note the distinctive diamond-shaped pub sign.

The Baedeker raid of June l, 1942, caused the destruction of a good half of Longport (which was then known as Longport Street).

Sadly, the Royal Oak became a significant victim. Also lost to the incendiary flames and high-explosive bombs was Holden’s mineral water factory, whose tall chimney still stood proud amidst a scene of devastation. Holden’s had set up in part of a former brewery complex.

Another part, the Malthouse (off Ivy Lane), had been taken over by Amey’s blinds.

Following war damage the licence was held in suspense. Going by the numbers on the buildings today I would assume it was in the vicinity of the Longport car-park as shown above.


r>es" width="100%">

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 2 June 1900. Price 1d.



The Canterbury Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest on Saturday morning at the "Royal Oak," Long port, on the body of Robert Tilley, aged 78, a retired lay clerk of the Cathedral, who on the 15th May was severely burned at his house in St. Peter's Lane, while smoking in bed. He was removed to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, where he expired on Thursday last.

Jane Tilley, the widow, deposed that she was standing at her door on the day that the deceased was burned when she heard her husband shouting out "Jane, Jane." She went upstairs immediately and on entering the bedroom found the bed clothes well alight. Witness called out "Fire," and one of the Corporation men went to her assistance and put out the flames. He then got the deceased downstairs. The deceased was removed to the hospital on the ambulance.

John Andrews deposed that he was a Corporation employee and working at St. Peter's Lane. He had been talking to Mrs. Tilley at her door and he then shifted higher up the lane as his work was there. Soon afterwards Mrs. Tilley came to the door and shouted "Fire." He went to her assistance. On going upstairs in the bedroom he found the flames about a foot high on the bed. With the assistance of another corporation man he got the deceased downstairs after putting out the flames. He sent for a doctor and to the police station.
Edith Bowles, day nurse at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, stated that she had attended on the deceased every day since the previous Sunday. He could not do anything for himself. On Wednesday he was worse, and at 6.30 on Thursday he died. He was suffering from rather extensive burns. Undoubtedly shock contributed to death.

The Coroner said in this case the doctor gave a certificate that death was due (1) to cerebral haemorrhage and (2) burns. The doctor was called in to attend the deceased for burns, and he did not know what the deceased had suffered from, and he (the Coroner) could not understand why the doctor put the secondary cause of death first and the primary cause (burns) second. The Registrar very rightly did not allow the certificate to pass and and reported the matter to him (the Coroner). It was the duty of medical men in cases like this to inform the Coroner or the Coroner's officer, and had this case been allowed to pass it would have been a ease for exhumation. Death from burns and shock was certainly an unnatural death, and had an inquest not been held the insurance company, in which the deceased was insured, would have thought it very lax of the Coroner—in fact a Coroner would be liable to a fine of 50 if he did not hold an inquest in a case like this.

The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.



Kentish Gazette 25 February 1803.

On Sunday evening last, as Mr. Gifford's maid-servant, at the "Royal Oak," Longport, was returning from Ickham, (where she had been to see her friends) she was stopped about eight o’clock by two ruffians, near Stone House, who demanded her money, and on being told she had none, one of the ruffians then swore that if she did not instantly strip herself of her clothes quietly, that he would take her to a tree, tie her up, and then blow her brains out, and at the same time he struck at her, as is supposed, with his pistol, which dropped, and it being dark, it was some time before he could find it; at this the poor girl had the spirit and presence of mind to start from the ruffians, and being very active, ran with all her might towards Canterbury. She arrived safe at a neighbour’s house, sat herself down in a chair, and immediately went into fits, which continued on her nearly the whole of the night.


Kentish Chronicle, 19 May, 1829.

A few evenings ago a young man undertook for a wager to walk, blindfold, from the "Royal Oak," Longport, round the post situated at the corner of the street, and thence return.

Emerging from the starting point, he proceeded very accurately a few yards, when halting, to ruminate his murky situation, the bolted across the road, and in the confident expectation that he had gained the path, walked at a brisk pace, until running his nasal promontory somewhat smartly against the rough wall which encloses the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, he'd desisted from the attempt, with a sad ugly abrasion.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, 20 July, 1844.


On the 9th inst., in Longport, Canterbury, Eliza, eldest daughter of Mr. J. Ottaway, landlord of the "Royal Oak," aged 19 years.


Kentish Gazette, 23 July 1844.


July 9, at Longport, Canterbury, Eliza, eldest daughter of Mr. John Ottaway, landlord of the "Royal Oak," aged 19.


From the Kentish Gazette, 20 May 1845.


On Saturday evening and inquest was held at the "Royal Oak" public House, Longport, Canterbury, by T. T. Delasaux, Esq., on view of the body of Isaac Peirce, pork butcher, who had committed self-destruction that morning by suspending himself from a beam in one of the upper rooms of his house. The jury after being sworn, proceeded to view the body. The first witness called was Mrs. Suzannah Peirce, and stated in an almost inaudible voice, that at 20 minutes past five, on Saturday morning she left the deceased in shortly after 6 return to the chamber and found him absent, and on going into the store loft found the body hanging by a very thick rope attached to a nail on a beam that supported the roof. She immediately cut it down and called assistants. A medical gentleman attempted to bleed the deceased, but life was quite extinct. George Peirce, labourer, nephew to the deceased was next examined, who stated he last saw his uncle alive on Thursday. He appeared low and melancholy, and in course of conversation, stated on Monday that he had something on his mind but could not state the nature of it. He seemed much more dejected lately than he had ever been. Witness had resided with his uncle nearly 8 years. Several other witnesses were examined, before testimony to deceased desponding state of mind. The coroner in addressing the jury said, from the evidence that has been elicited, from the witnesses, there existed not a hazard of doubt that the deceased committed self-destruction or labouring under the great mental depression. The jury after a brief consultation return their verdict, that deceased, Isaac Peirce, destroyed himself in a a state of temporary insanity.


Kentish Gazette, 29 May 1849.


Ottaway:— Mar 22, in Longport, Canterbury, after a long affliction, Mr. John Ottaway, aged 64, many years landlord of the "Royal Oak Inn," Canterbury, and much respected by all who knew him.


Kentish Gazette, 9 October 1849.

An inquest was held on Friday last, at the "Royal Oak" public-house, Longport, Canterbury, before Mr. DeLasaux, on the body of a new-born child, belonging to Margaret Hart, a laundress in the establishment, which had been found under a bed at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. After a careful investigation the jury returned a verdict of "Still born."


Kentish Gazette, 19 April 1853.

On Saturday an inquest was held at the "Royal Oak," parish of St. Paul, in this city, before T. T. Delasaux. Esq., coroner, on the body of June Hawker, who it will he remembered in March last (the 24th) unfortunately fell from an upper window of the residence of Samuel Wright. Esq., Saint George's-place, in this city, by which she sustained such injury as ultimately terminated in her death. Charles Fotern, cabinet maker, stated that on the above named day, the deceased was cleaning a window in a back bed room, at the top of the house, when he was suddenly called, and in consequence went into the back yard, and there found deceased lying on the ground, in a pool of blood, and apparently dead. He then took her up and carried her into the kitchen. She was shortly afterwards removed to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Witness believed deceased was alone when she fell from the window, and that there was not any snow near where she lay. He observed the next morning that the three lower panes of a window had been cleaned, directly over the spot from which deceased had fallen.

Ann Woollen, night nurse, deposed that the deceased was brought into the Hospital between three and four o'clock on the 24th of March, last, with two broken thighs; there was also a severe blow on the temple; she was immediately intended by the medical officer of the establishment, but she lingered until the 15th inst., when she died at about ten o'clock at night. On the night of the 24th March last, the deceased said to witness "I shall die through this injury;" and then went on to explain how the accident occurred. She said they were going to have company, and that the windows were cleaned in consequence; she saw a smear on the window of the top attic, when she got a cloth and sat on the cell of the outside of the window, and as she was wiping it, some snow fell off the building just above her, on her face, and frightened her, which caused her to leave her hold, and she fell to the ground.

Verdict, "Accidental Death."


From the Kentish Chronicle, 21 January, 1860.


James Bragg, aged 32 years, who was admitted into the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on Wednesday, in consequence of injuries received by a railway accident, died on Saturday morning. It appears that the deceased was employed at Barfrestone, on the Chatham and Dover Railway now in course of construction. His duty was to drive two horses drawing wagons filled with earth along a temporary tramway. By some means or other he got thrown upon the metals, and the wagons passed over his left thigh. On re-examination at the Hospital, the injury was found to be so severe a nature that amputation had to be resorted to. The poor fellow gradually sank, and died on Saturday morning, as above stated. An inquest was held on Monday evening, before Mr. Delasaux and a respectable jury at the "Royal Oak" public-house, Longport. The circumstances of the accident, as above detailed having been described in evidence, the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 28 January,1860. Price 1d.


In our last we reported the death of James Bragg, a labourer, who had died in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, from the effects of injuries received while engaged on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway works, in the parish of Nonington, near this place. An inquest has since been held on the body by one of the county coroners, T. T. Delasaux, Esq., at the “Royal Oak,” in Longport, Canterbury. A verdict of “Accidentally killed” was recorded.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 29 September, 1860.


All inquest was held by C. J. Fox, Esq., deputy coroner, at the "Royal Oak," Longport, on Tuesday evening, upon the body of Thomas Wyles, a prisoner in St. Augustine's gaol.

Edward Fill Bing, turnkey at the gaol, said: This morning, at a quarter before seven, I was in the deceased's cell. I assisted in moving the deceased to another cell by order of the governor. I laid him on his bed and in about two minutes afterwards he died. He had been very low for the last few days with dysentery. He was 50 years of age.

Mr. D. B. Major, surgeon of the gaol, said: The deceased was admitted into the gaol on the 30th of August, 1859. He appeared well with the exception of being weak, and such being the case, I did not order him to be put to work. Up to about three weeks ago he had continued in the same weak state, when he then became the subject of diarrhoea—producing dysentery. He was kept to his bed during the time. His diet latterly was beef tea, port wine, and arrowroot. He had medical attendance daily, and for the last few days twice a day. I last saw him alive yesterday evening, he was then dying. I am of opinion that the cause of death was dysentery. The deceased had every possible attention paid him by the official at the gaol.

The jury returned a verdict of "Death from Dysentery."


From the Kentish Chronicle, 24 November, 1860.


We gave last week an account of an accident from the use of hoops in servants' dresses, by which a young girl was severely burnt. For several days she appeared to progress favourably; but the shock to the system was so great, and the injuries sustained of such a character, that she died on Sunday morning. An inquest was held on the body on Monday evening, the evidence adduced being substantially as we published in our last, and the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death." The deceased was the daughter of Mr. Guest, formerly landlord of the "Royal Oak" public-house, Longport.


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 6 July, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


On Sunday evening last, T. T. Delasaux, Esq., city coroner, held an inquest at the “Royal Oak” public house, Longport, touching the death of a young man named Richard Uden, who came by his death through an accident while employed on the works of the above railway, in the parish of Beakesbourne.

John Hope, an engine driver on the railway, deposed that the deceased was in the same employ as brakesman. On the 8th June he was unhooking the horses attached to two wagons laden with ballast, when he slipped down, and the fore near wheel of the first wagon passed over the upper part of his thighs, inflicting a severe injury. He was shortly afterwards removed to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital.

Susan Burry deposed that she nursed the deceased in hospital. He had received some severe injuries from the thigh quite up to the body. The flesh was cut almost away from the bone. He was admitted on the 8th of June and died on Friday morning from the injuries sustained.

Verdict, “Accidental Death.”


From the Kentish Chronicle, 3 January, 1863.



An inquest was held on Friday evening, at the “Oak” public house, Longport, on the body of William Pattenden, who fell from the rigging of the barque Endeavour at Whitstable.

Charles Twist, mate of the aforesaid barque, deposed— I am a mariner. On Wednesday, the 10th of December (The witness must have made a mistake in the date, us the deceased was admitted to the Hospital on the 9th inst.) I was on board the Endeavour, on the rock near Whitstable. The deceased was also on board as a seaman he was sent aloft to loose the top-sail and he slipped from some cause and fell from the mast into the water. I believe when he slipped he turned a somersault, and his leg caught in the rigging. He was picked up and brought into Canterbury. He had received severe injury, but was sensible and denied that he was hurt.

By the jury:— I believe the height from which he fell to be about thirty feet.

Mr. Henry Hichins, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury hospital, said:— The deceased was brought to the Hospital on the 9th inst., In the afternoon, suffering from a compound comminuted fracture, that is, that the bone was not only broken, and a wound from it wound connected with the bone, but pieces of the bone were detached. He told me that he caught and twisted his leg in the rigging. The injury might be caused by such a full. A consultation was held, mid it was deemed advisable if possible, to save the man without amputation. There was a great amount of supperstion, and the leg was therefore amputated on the 18th. He was better for some days, but on the 24th he exhibited slight signs of lock-jaw. He died last night from exhaustion of the vital powers. The injury was not likely to have been inflicted by any one.

The Coroner immediately summed up, and the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 16 July 1870.


On Thursday in inquest was heard before Mr. Delasaux at the "Oak," Longport, on the body of a girl, 9 years of age, named Catharine Clarke, who met with her death under the following circumstances:—

Mr. George Deverson, bookbinder, was near the Cathedral crate that morning between twelve and one, and saw a brewer's dray, driven by two horses who were trotting, go up Mercery-lane from the Cathedral yard. Nearly opposite the shop recently occupied by Mr. Skinner, he observed a perambulator partly on and partly off the pavement, and the child in charge appeared to be endeavouring to get it entirely on the pavement. Shortly afterwards he heard a crash and saw two children being picked up, having been knocked down either by the horses or the dray.

Mr. Davis, draper, stated that he saw a perambulator in Mercery-lane with two children in it, aged about 8 and 3 years. A dray came along at rather a sharp pace and afterwards he saw the two children lying on the tramway between the road and the pavement in a portion of the perambulator. Both the children were at once removed. The man in charge of the dray stopped as soon as the accident happened.

Mr. Cornes, butcher, said he heard the driver of the dray call out three or four times and he believed be did all be could to stop his horses.

Mr. Francis Bateman, house surgeon at the Hospital, deposed that the deceased was brought to that institution at one o’clock that day, and was then quite dead, and from the bruises he discovered on making an examination he should say there was no doubt that the cause of death was as described in the preceding evidence, vis., that the child was knocked down.

The jury accordingly returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


From the Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, 12 July 1884.


The Canterbury Coroner (Dr. Johnson) held an inquest at the "Royal Oak Inn," Longport, Canterbury, on Saturday, on the body of Henry Knott, a man in the employ of Messrs. Chittenden, Knight, and Co., engine owners, of Sittingbourne.

John Wilson, a thrashing machine feeder, said: I live at Wingham, and on Thursday last at about 6 p.m. I was engaged in thrashing at Mr. Cooper’s, at Brambling Court. We had finished the sheaf corn and had to clear up from underneath. We had a stage put up. We were in the set of taking a bag on a hurdle. I heard a noise, and on turning round saw that deceased was in the drum of the machine. There are always a few loose beans on the top of the table and I think his right leg slipped into the drum. I cried out to the driver, telling him to stop the engine, and he stopped it immediately. We had to take the bed bolts of the machine out before we could extricate deceased’s leg. His foot and leg were covered with blood. Mr. Cooper went to Mr. Hilton's to get a conveyance. He went to Ickham which is about a mile from the place where the accident happened. The conveyance (a light spring waggon) arrived at about 7-30 p.m., and deceased was placed in it and conveyed to the Kent and Canterbury hospital. Deceased was sober, and was used to the works Dr. Lewis, of Wingham, was sent for and came before deceased was removed.

By Mr. Collard: I have been 25 years at the same place, and this is the first accident I have had. The accident was not caused by any defect in the machine. No one cautions the men more than I do. The accident could not have been prevented by any care on the part of any of the employees of Mesrss. Chittenden, Knight, and Co.

In answer to the foreman witness said:- The engine was not stopped because we had some short stuff to put in the machine.

Alfred Partridge, engine driver in the employ of Messrs. Chittenden, Knight and Co., deposed:- On Thursday last I was employed not as a driver, but in carrying away corn from the machine. After the accident deceased said he was palling a cloth up when he slipped and fell in the drum. He did not blame anyone. His leg appeared completely smashed, and blood was flowing from the calf of the leg.

Mr. Anton Hugh Syree, assistant house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, said:- Deceased was admitted to the Hospital on Thursday evening between 8.30 and 9. He was much collapsed, and his right leg was broken in three or four places. The ankle joint was dislocated, and the soft parts of the leg were very much torn and bruised. There was very little bleeding then. I immediately summoned the hon. surgeon for the week (Mr. C. Holttum), who after consulting with the other surgeons, determined to amputate the limb immediately. The operation was performed successfully about 10, but the man never rallied from the collapse, and died at 1.30 a.m., from shock to the system. The man was conscious at the time of the operation.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 26 October, 1889.


Before D. Amos, Esq., and W. R. Young, Esq.

John Martin, drover, was charged with being drunk and disorderly.

P C. Seath said about 6.45 the previous evening he was on duty in Longport Street. He saw the prisoner very drunk, using disgusting language, and threatening to break the windows of the "Royal Oak." He refused to go away when requested, became very violent, and threatened to knock witness's brains out. He had to get assistance to take prisoner to the station. All the way down he was very violent.

Prisoner had already been five times before the magistrates. As he had not been before the Court since 1887 he was now only fined 2s. 6d. and 6s. 6d. costs.

He was allowed a fortnight to pay.

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 9 June 1900. Price 1d.


On Tuesday evening the Coroner held an inquest at the "Royal Oak," Longport, on the body of Stephen Epps, aged 63, an inmate of Eastbridge Hospital, who died in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on Sunday.

William Epps, son of deceased, stated that his father had been an inmate of Westbridge Hospital for the past 18 months. Formerly he was a fly driver. Witness last saw him on Saturday afternoon. He was partly unconscious, but expressed a wish to be taken to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. He told witness that he was out walking on the 22nd May, when the sticks he used to walk with slipped and he fell. He complained of pains in the leg and chest. About four years ago some hoarding in Sun Street fell on deceased and knocked him down.

By the foreman:— Deceased was quite capable of walking about without assistance.

Albert Arthur Tomlin, in the employ of Mr. Ashenden, butcher, High Street, deposed that on the 22nd May he saw deceased going by the Beaney Institute. His right stick slipped and he fell, striking his head against Mr. Hart's premise. Witness went to his assistance and with the help of Mr. Ashenden picked him up and gave him a seat outside the shop. Later he was taken home to Eastbridge Hospital.]

Mr. William Ewart, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, deposed that deceased was admitted at ten minutes to eleven on Saturday. It was thought that deceased had sustained an injury to his right leg, but on examination witness could not find any evidence of fracture or bruising of the limb. His lungs were much congested and his heart was very weak. The congestion gradually got worse and the heart weaker, and deceased died at a quarter past eight on Sunday morning. On making a post-mortem witness found that the lungs were much congested and that there was a clot on the heart. The probable cause of death was congestion of the lungs and cardiac failure. Death was probably accelerated by the fall. The congestion was of recent origin.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 13 October 1900. Price 1d.


An inquest was held at the "Royal Oak," Longport, Canterbury, on Saturday evening by the City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) respecting the death of William Butler Stiles, a plumber, of Lyminge, who died in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on the previous day from the effects of an accident to his hand caused by the explosion of a rifle.

Georgina Stiles, widow of deceased, stated that the deceased was a plumber and carried on business at High Street, Lyminge. On Thursday, 20th September he brought a gun home to clean for someone whom he was working for. He took it away on the following (Friday) morning at about 9.30 and witness did not see the deceased again until the Saturday when she saw him in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. She heard of the accident to deceased at a quarter to eight o'clock on Friday evening. It happened at 4.45 in the afternoon. Deceased and his apprentice drove to Dr. Bishop's and he ordered him to come to Canterbury. Witness had visited deceased several times and on one occasion he said he was firing at a target to how far the rifle wouId carry when he had the accident.

Albert Henry Bagnall stated that he was an apprentice to deceased and lived with him. On the 20th September the deceased brought the gun (produced) home to clean in the evening. He cleaned it and the next morning he went to work as usual. He said he intended trying the gun at dinner time by shooting at some birds if he saw any. At a quarter to five he tried it. Deceased and witness measured off thirty-five yards and at that distance put up a piece of tin. Deceased then fired at it. He fired from the right barrel and then from the left barrel. Neither report was very loud. He than fired the left barrel off again. Directly he had fired the third shot he dropped the rifle and came running towards witness. The deceased said “Oh God my chaps, I have nearly blown my hand off." Deceased and witness subsequently drove to the residence of Dr. Bishop. They saw the doctor's assistant, who advised the deceased to go to Canterbury. He then went to Canterbury by train. Witness saw the deceased on the previous Sunday. He was in a very sinking condition and looked very ill indeed. Deceased had cleaned guns before. The one which caused the accident was a muzzle-loader.

Mr. Ewart, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, stated that the deceased was admitted to the Hospital on September 21 at about 8.15 p.m. The deceased said a gun had burst. On examining deceased witness found his left hand very much damaged and his left hand thumb blown off. It was advisable that an operation should take place and that was performed an hoar later. In a few days symptoms of congestion of the lungs set in and he died on the 4th October at 3.15 a.m. The operation was confined to the deceased hand and wrist. The accident was such as would be caused by an explosion. The deceased's heart was slightly enlarged, while his liver was very much enlarged, in fact it was half as large again as it should have been. Death was due to shock.

The Coroner having summed up the Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."


From the Whitstable Times, 22 December, 1900.


An inquest was held at the "Royal Oak," Longport, Canterbury, on Thursday morning by Dr. T. S. Johnson, City Coroner, touching the death of Mrs. Blanche Hitchcock, lately residing in York Road, which took place in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on the previous Monday evening.

Miss Constance Hitchcock said deceased was her mother. She was the widow of Mr. William Henry Hitchcook, J.P. and was 72 years of age. On the preceding Friday deceased complained of sore throat, and witness went to Messrs. Walker and Harris and purchased a bottle of a "cough specific," which deceased had taken with benefit on former occasions. After taking a dose she was very sick, and complained of pain in the stomach. On Sunday witness went again to Walker and Harris’s, and told them the medicine appeared not to have suited her mother, and at her request they made up a draught. Deceased seemed to get better, but on Monday was in great pain, and witness went to Mr. Preston, who came, and on examination said deceased was suffering from a rupture, and advised her immediate removal to the hospital, which was done. When she was sick after taking the medicine witness thought she had been poisoned, as deceased was never sick.

Mr. William Ewart, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, said that deceased was admitted on Monday about 4 p.m. She wanted to walk upstairs, but witness would not let her do so. On getting her into bed she was found to be ruptured, and an operation was performed, which was quite successful. Deceased recovered consciousness and spoke to witness, but later in the day the heart became weak and she died at 9 p.m.

The Coroner said the operation might have been considered successful for the removal of the rapture, but it would have been more successful if the deceased had lived.

Witness, continuing, said he made a post-mortem examination and found the lungs badly congested and other organs affected. In his opinion death was caused by failure of the heart’s action, accelerated by the shock from the operation, and senile decay. He found no traces of poison.

The Coroner said the medical evidence showed that there was not the slightest foundation for the first witness’s idea that deceased might have been poisoned.

Having asked Mr. Walker, of Messrs. Walker and Harris, who was present at the inquest, several questions, the Coroner fully exonerated the chemists from all blame in the matter, but expressed his opinion that chemists generally should not prescribe for persons whom they had not seen.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 23 February 1901. Price 1d.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Royal Oak,” Longport, Canterbury, on Thursday, touching the death of Mary Anne Chapman Lincoln.

Before beginning the business of the Court, the Coroner referred to the fact that that was the first inquest that he had had to hold in the reign of King Edward VII, and also to Queen Victoria's illness and death, which was such a grief to the whole world. Thomas Lincoln, residing at 40, West Street, Deal stated that he was a cab driver, but of late had been doing night work on the sewage works at Deal. Deceased, who was 49 years of age, was his wife. About twelve months ago she fell down stairs, and about three months ago she got strange in her ways. Dr. Roberts attended her, and witness had to give up his work to look after her. When he got the night work he got a nurse to be with deceased, and as she wanted to get out in the street and wander about, he used to “pin” up the door of her room when he was out, leaving the nurse with her. On the morning of January 31st he got home from his work about six o'clock; and as he had been at work all night the nurse went down stairs and witness went to sleep in the bed where his wife was. He did not notice anything specially wrong with her. He fastened the door. Soon afterwards he was awakened and heard that his wife had been found on the pavement. She must have jumped out of the window, which was twelve or fourteen feet above the pavement.

Ellen Fitzgerald stated that she had been nursing deceased for about three months. Deceased was in a bad state of mind, and used to wander about. On the morning of January 31st, when deceased's husband came home, witness got up, and he went to bed with his wife. While witness was getting breakfast ready she heard a scream, and when she went out of the house she saw deceased being held up by two men, who said she had jumped out of the window. In reply to the Coroner, the witness said she thought deceased ought to have been sent away, but the doctor never said that it was necessary, and did not suggest anything being done. Deceased was not in the habit of going near the window, but she used to try to get out of the door, and that was why her husband “pinned” it up.

The witness Lincoln said the doctor had never told him his wife ought to be taken away. He fastened the door to prevent her getting out and falling into the sewage work, which was going on in the street, where there was a deep hole.

William Ewart, house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, stated that the deceased was admitted on the 25th January. She was suffering from a compound fracture of the right leg, and was very strange in her manner. They endeavoured to save the leg, but after some days it was found-necessary to amputate it, and she lived five or six days after the operation. Witness made a post-mortem examination, and found the liver a little enlarged and fatty, and the membranes of the brain slightly affected. He considered that death was the sequel to the injuries by the fall.

The Coroner said it was a sad case. The husband and the nurse had done all they could, but as deceased had to be kept shut in (although he did not know if that was legal), he did not think that she was fit to be left at home. He thought it was quite an accident and not a case of suicide.

The jury returned a verdict that deceased died from injures received by jumping out of the window, and expressed their opinion that there had been great neglect on the doctor's part.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 16 March 1901. Price 1d.


The Canterbury Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Royal Oak,” Longport, Canterbury, on Thursday afternoon, relating to the death of a boy named Alfred John Redman, aged eight years, son of Stephen Redman, a labourer at Ickham Court, who died in the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on the previous Tuesday night. It appeared from the evidence of the boy's mother that last October he fell down on the stones and hurt his elbow. His mother bandaged it, but as it did not get well she took him to Dr. Morris at Littlebourne, who said it was a bad case of a broken elbow, and put it in splints. About three weeks after the doctor took off the splints and bandages, and said the arm was doing well. The boy was then able to move his hand. Subsequently it began to swell and Dr. Morris told the mother she had better take the boy to the hospital, which she did. Mr. William Ewart, house-surgeon at the Canterbury Hospital, said the deceased was admitted on January 29th. His left elbow was swollen and the Joint out of place. The boy was also suffering from inflammation of the kidneys. On February 16th it was necessary to make an incision in the elbow to get the matter out and from that time the inflammation of the kidneys got worse, and the lad died on Tuesday night. Witness examined the elbow joint after death, and found the bone very much diseased, but there was no evidence of fracture. The kidneys were also badly diseased. Witness considered that death was caused by tuberculosis, following on the injury.

The jury returned a verdict of “Death from natural causes,” the Coroner remarking that it was evident the lad was in a very bad state of health when the fall happened.


From the Whitstable Times, 25 May, 1901.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the "Royal Oak," Longport, Canterbury, on Monday, touching the death of Frances Mary Mabel Godsmark, the daughter of a sergeant in the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, stationed at the Canterbury Depot.

Captain Mackensie and Mr. C. O’Shera were present from the Cavalry Depot.

Mabel Godsmark identified the body of the deceased as that of her daughter, who was aged eight years and six months. The child was insured in the Prudential Assurance Company. She had been a healthy child from birth and had never had a serious illness. The deceased attended the Garrison School. She had lately passed from the Infants’ School to the Master's School. On Thursday, the 18th ult., the child went to school in the afternoon. In the evening, about 7.30 or 8 o’clock, the deceased complained of feeling tired. She did not complain about going to school. At about 11 or 11.50 at night the deceased started vomiting and she was ill throughout the night. Witness went for a doctor on the Friday morning, who saw the child and attended her until her removal to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. The doctor recommended her removal to the Hospital on the 22nd. Previous to the 18th witness had not seen anything wrong with the deceased. The following day the deceased complained of the school teacher hitting her on the head. She did not say in what way he hit her. Witness did not take much notice of this, but she had never heard the deceased complain before. Witness did not look on the child’s head either. She told the doctor of the deceased’s complaint. She was informed of the child’s death the same day she died. The child went to the Hospital on the 22nd April and died on the 16th May. Witness had lost one child before—it was burned some two years ago.

In answer to the Coroner, witness said the deceased had only suffered from colds previous to the present occasion. The infants' department of the Garrison School was under the charge of a mistress. The school the child passed into was under the charge of masters.

Beatrice Ann Godsmark, sister of the deceased, was the next witness. She was only 11 years of age and the jury did not seem to attach very great importance to her evidence. She said the deceased was younger than herself. They both went to the Garrison School on the day in question. The deceased was in the second standard. She used to cry over her lessons. A teacher hit the deceased on her head with his fist.

In answer to the Coroner, witness said she saw the master do it, but she did not say anything. The deceased told witness she did not know her lessons.

Continuing, witness said Corporal Harrison was the school teacher. She told her mother that she had seen other children hit like that.

Sergeant George Frederick Godsmark, of the 5th Royal Irish Lances, stationed at the Cavalry Depot, Canterbury, stated that on April 18th he left his quarters at about six o'clock when his child appeared to be in good health. At about 8 o’clock he was informed that she did not feel well. He was up with the deceased the whole night. Dr. Craig was sent for on the following morning. Subsequently witness saw Corporal Harrison, who admitted that he had tapped children on the head in school. He had never heard of that before.

In answer to the Coroner, witness said his wife and family returned to England last November twelve months, and his children had attended the garrison School on and off since that date. He did not believe there were any complains about any of the teachers till the present occurrence. Dr. Craig did not tell witness what was the matter with the child.

The Coroner, at this stags, said he required more evidence before taking the evidence of Mr. Ewart, the house surgeon at the Hospital. He should want the evidence of the medical man at the Barracks.

The inquest was then adjourned until Wednesday next (May 29th).


From the Whitstable Times, 25 January, 1902.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Royal Oak,” Longport, Canterbury, on Tuesday evening, touching the death of James Andrews, aged 62.

The jury was composed of Messrs. J. 0. Elvy (foreman), W. Iddenden, T. House, Joseph J. Jackman, Alfred Taylor, A. Gambell, P. J. Small, George Savage, T. Latto, W. T. Opton, C. J. Court, D. Chapman, Alfred Taylor (Broad Street), and W. H. Baggs.

Mrs. Francis Andrews, of 35, Dover Street, stated that deceased, James Andrews, was her husband, aged 62, and was a carter and worked for Mr. Harry Fagg, of Puckle Lane, Canterbury. He had worked for him for the past four years. He was a steady man, and his health had always been very good until Saturday, January 4th. He had been to work that day, and returned home at 5.30. He said he felt poorly and asked for a cup of tea, which witness poured out for him, and he drank it. He then asked for a candle to go to bed with. He went to bed and at 7.30. when witness’ son came home, he went up to see him. Her son came down shortly afterwards, and asked her to make his father a bran poultice, and she did so. When witness' son came down again he said that his father told him that he had been kicked by Fagg’s son. That was all witness knew of the occurrence. During the time the deceased had been in the Hospital witness had frequently visited him, and was with him when he died the previous day (Monday) at about 9.45 in the morning.

The Coroner said that was a proper case for adjournment. Evidence of identification had been given, and farther evidence would be adduced at the adjourned hearing, when he hoped to be able to provide better accommodation for the jury, but they must attend there first on the day the jury fixed for the adjourned enquiry.

The jury agreed to the adjourned inquest being held on Tuesday next, at 12 o'clock, and the enquiry was then formally adjourned.


From the Whitstable Times, 22 February, 1902.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Royal Oak,” Canterbury, on Tuesday afternoon, respecting the death of Ellen Harlow, who, it will so remembered, slipped down in Wincheap Street on February 1st and broke her leg.

Archley Harlow, general labourer, stated that ha lived at 10, Hollow Lane, Wincheap. The deceased was his wife and aged 65 years. She was under treatment when she met with the accident. On February 1st witness left home after tea to go end do a little business. Before he went the deceased said she was going out and witness told her that as she was poorly anything she wanted he would fetch for her. However, she said she wanted to go out. About three quarters of an hour afterwards his son told him deceased had had a fall and had been taken to the Hospital. In Wincheap witness mat Mr. Greaslsey in a fly with the deceased Mr. Greasley had seen the deceased earlier on the day of the accident. The deceased died at 11.30 on Sunday night at the Hospital.

George Edgar Tourney, builder, of Hawthorn Villas, Wincheap, and Alexander Tourney, builder, of 6, Wincheap, gave evidence of assisting the deceased alter the accident, which happened near Nightingale’s yard.

Police-Sergeant Swain stated that at 7.15 on the evening of February 1st he was in Wincheap with P.C. Jury when he saw the deceased sitting on a chair opposite Nightingale's yard. He asked her what was the matter and the said she had hurt her leg. Witness and P.C. Jury examined the deceased’s left leg and found it broken just above the ankle. They bandaged the leg up and put it in splints. Witness sent for the ambulance, and on its arrival placed the deceased upon it. They were on the way to the Hospital with the deceased when witness was asked by the deceased's son not to take his mother to the Hospital but to take her to her home. Witness took deceased to her home after strongly advising the son that he should let him (witness) take her to the Hospital as there would he better accommodation for her there. Mr. Greasley saw the deceased and found that her leg was badly broken. The doctor subsequently took deceased to the hospital himself.

Mr. Norman Ralph Philips, assistant house surgeon at the Hospital, stated that deceased was admitted at about 10 o’clock on the night of February 1st. The deceased was found to be suffering from a broken leg.

In reply to the Coroner witness said it was the right leg which was broken.

Some argument ensued as to whether it was the right or the left leg which was broken, but Sergeant Swain said he thought he had made a mistake and it was the right leg which was broken and not the left as he had stated.

Witness, continuing, said the deceased was attended to at the Hospital for the broken leg, but afterwards the deceased was found to be suffering from bronchitis. That gradually got worse and spread to the lungs. It was practically pneumonia and the deceased died on February 18th at 11.15 p.m. The cause of death was failure of the heart’s action accelerated by bronchitis and by shock from the accident.

The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.


From the Whitstable Times, 5 April, 1902.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an inquest at the “Royal Oak,” Longport, Canterbury, on Tuesday afternoon, touching the death of John Frederick Cock, the labour master of Eastry Union Workhouse, who met with a bicycle accident on Tuesday, the 25th March, and died la the Kent and Canterbury Hospital last Sunday, as a result of the injuries received.

Edith Cock, the widow, stated they lived at Sickenhurst, and her husband, who was aged 41, used to cycle to and from the Workhouse on a solid safety machine. He left home in his usual health about 7 o’clock on Tuesday morning, March 25th, for the Workhouse between two and three o’clock in the afternoon he was brought home in a cab by Mr. Harding, the engineer of the Workhouse, and he said he met with an accident. His head was bound up, and the next day she sent for a doctor. On the Friday following the doctor said he must go at once into the hospital, and he was brought into Canterbury in a landau. From the day of the accident he seemed dazed, and she heard the previous day of his death from the Hospital authorities.

George Harding, engineer at Eastry Workhouse, said he was living at Church Street, Eastry. He had known deceased about twelve months, and had always found him very steady, honest, and industrious. On the morning of March 25 he did not see him about the grounds doing his usual work, and he began to make enquiries as to whether he was about. Not finding him witness went to likely places where he thought deceased might be, and eventually discovered him in a cellar beneath the old people's quarters, lying on some straw and sacks, and bleeding from the forehead. He questioned him and deceased told him he had had a fall from his machine on his way to work. Witness also learnt from enquiries that deceased had been doing work that morning, he Immediately acquainted the Master of the Workhouse with what had happened, and the doctor and chief nurse were sent for and attended to deceased’s injuries. Witness then went out and got a fly and removed deceased home. In questioning deceased he noticed that his speech was very hazy, and that he could only say two or three words coherently. The doctor of the Workhouse advised that he should be immediately taken home to bed. Deceased’s home was about a mile from the Workhouse.

The Coroner said a grant mistake had been made. In such a case anybody and most of all a doctor should have known that his brain was affected that to send him anywhere but to the Hospital was a mistake. It was most necessary in such cases that what was to be done should be done at once.

Mr. Harding said that deceased after the accident walked to the Workhouse and even did some work. The doctor of the Workhouse advised deceased to go home and see his own medical adviser.

The Coroner:— But he should have done what was necessary there and then.

Mr. Harding, in answer to questions, said the deceased told him he had had a fall from his bicycle. The road over which the deceased had cycled was very rough and in going downhill on the old-fashioned machine he would he very liable to a fall.

The Coroner again alluded to the treacherousness of brain troubles, and the great necessity for prompt action.

Mr. Norman Ralph Philips, house surgeon of the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, said deceased was admitted to the hospital on Friday afternoon, the 28th of March, about 5.30. He had a severe wound over the left eye, which was very deep and inflamed, there were also signs of brain mischief. These became more defined, and the patient got very much worse, and on Sunday, the 30th of March it was deemed necessary to perform an operation to relieve the tension. They felt that was the only hope for the man. This was done, but notwithstanding, he died at about 5.30 of the same afternoon. The cause of death was due 10 the injuries received to the brain from the accident. There was a great deal of softening of the brain and some pus.

In reply to the Coroner, witness said delay in treatment would cause the softening to become worse and pus would take a day or two to form. He certainly thought that in each cases the sooner a person was brought into hospital the better.

The Coroner having summed up the jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.



GIFFORD Mr 1803+

BRIDGES Esias 1824+ Pigot's Directory 1824

OTTAWAY John 1828-22/Mar/49 dec'd (age 55 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34Stapletons GuidePigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

OTTAWAY Elizabeth 1851 Census

GUEST Joseph 1858-Mar/60 Melville's 1858Kentish Gazette

FILMER John Mar/1860-62+ Kentish GazettePost Office Directory 1862

May J 1867

ATTWOOD Henry 1871-74+ (age 43 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1874

BUTCHER Robert 1881+ (age 45 in 1881Census)

MASTERS Osbourne John 1882-89+ Post Office Directory 1882Historic Canterbury web site

NEWPORT William John 1891-1903+ Post Office Directory 1891Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

OSENTON George 1906-09

BELSEY Stephen 1913-22+ Post Office Directory 1913Historic Canterbury web sitePost Office Directory 1922

MANN Ebenezer William 1930+ Post Office Directory 1930


ALLDER Albert 1938+ Post Office Directory 1938


Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Historic Canterbury web siteHistoric Canterbury web site

Kentish GazetteKentish Gazette


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-