Sort file:- Sandwich, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.


Earliest 1821-

Red Lion

Latest 1990-

Salt Pans



Above photo, 1900, kindly sent by Michael Mirams.

Red Lion 1965

Above photo showing the pub in August, 1965. Kindly sent by Dieter Ott.

Red Lion licensee

Above photo showing Mr. Doyle, left, the licensee in 1965 and Dieter Ott, who was over from Baden Baden, Germany to learn English. Kindly supplied by Dieter Ott.

Red Lion licensees family 1965

Above photo August 1965, showing Mr. Doyle and his sister's husband, left, and sister, front right.  Kindly supplied by Dieter Ott.

Red Lion 1989

Above photo, 1989, kindly sent by Michael Mirams.

Red Lion map

Above image showing a map of the area, date unknown. The "Red Lion" is in the centre/left.

Stonal map 1896

Above map 1896.

Red Lion aerial 1957

Above aerial view 1957 showing the "Red Lion" bottom right.

Stonar map

Above map, date unknown.


The industrial site of Stonar is situated along the Ramsgate to Sandwich Road, and there are few private dwellings near the "Red Lion" pub. But in the 1700s, a Salt Pan Works was begun here. The idea was to extract salt by evaporating the sea water left by beach receding tide, which passed from the River Stour through the man-made Stonar Cut, and thence to the sea. The "Red Lion" was open before 1829, and served the labourers who worked on the salt pans and had their humble cottages near the inn. The house was also a useful stopover for travellers between Sandwich and Ramsgate.


Evening Mail, Friday 30 November 1821.

Mysterious death.

On Saturday last (25th inst.), a female servant, named Eleanor Tritton, who lived as cook with Mr. J. Curling, at Oxengell, near St. Lawrence, in the Isle of Thanet, left her masters house, on a visit to her sister, at Sandwich, and was expected to return in the evening of that day; but the hour of nine having arrived, and not making her appearance, two of the men servants of the house went out to meet her, and in a quarter of an hour afterwards, when near the direction post, where the road from Sandwich diverges in different directions, they observed a gig or one horse chaise approaching, in which were a man and a female, and having made themselves known, the woman called to one by name, earnestly entreating they would stop the horse, and adding, "For God's sake take me out;" but the man who drove instantly whipped the horse, which set off at full speed, so as to prevent any attempt to stop it. One of the person's, however, pursued the chaise on foot into the direction leading to Ramsgate, and followed her it in that direction till he perceived that the driver, having passed Nether-court, had turned out of the turnpike road into a lane on the right, leading to Pegwell, and accordingly cross the fields, the more readily to intercept it; but being unsuccessful, he still continued the pursuit into Ramsgate, where, by the light of the lamps, he first observed that the female was missing, and the man who drove directing his course through Ramsgate into the road leading to Margate, all further trace of the chaise was lost; and it now being ten o'clock, he gave up the pursuit, and returned to his master's house. An immediate search was in consequence made in every direction, during the night, for the female who was missing, but without success, till about five yesterday morning (Monday last), as a man, named Wood, was proceeding from the vicinity of this city, with a car load of bavins, to Ramsgate, he discovered a female lying lifeless in the road, within a few rods of the grounds of Nether-court, which upon further examination was found to be the body of the unfortunate woman, with several bruises in her face, as if from the effects of blows. Assistance being procured, the body was carried to the workhouse at St. Lawrence, where it now awaits the coroner's inquest, which will be held on it this day.

It did not appear - from a purse, containing a sovereign and some silver, which was found in her pockets - that she had been robbed; and it is to be lamented that the person who pursued the chaise should, in crossing the fields with the good intention above described; having left the main road before he reached the spot where the body was found. The deceased was about 30 years of age, and had lived with Mr. Curling, at Oxengell upwards of five years, by whom, as well as by his family, she was much respected for her good conduct. Since writing the above, we learn, that the man who drove the chaise has been discovered, and committed to St. Augustines gaol, till the results of the inquest shall be known.

Kentish Gazette.


Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, Saturday 01 December 1821.

We yesterday mentioned the mysterious and melancholy death of Eleanor Tritton, cook to Mr. J. Curling, at Oxengell, in the Isle of Thanet, after being carried off by a man in a chaise. The man who drove the chaise has been discovered; his name is ____ Paine. An inquest has been held on the body, when a surgeon deposed, that there were no marks of external violence, sufficient to have caused the death of the deceased; but that he verily believes that she came by her death through rupturing a blood vessel in the head. The jury, after a careful consideration, brought in a verdict of manslaughter against _____ Paine, who was immediately committed for trial to Maidstone gaol.


Evening Mail, Monday 3 December 1821.

Mysterious death. Coroner's inquest.

An inquest was taken on Tuesday last, 27th ult., and continued till the following day, before Thomas Delasaux, Esq., one of the Coroner's for Kent, at St. Lawrence, in the Isle of Thanet, on the body of Eleanor Tritton, the unfortunate woman found dead under some mysterious circumstances, as stated in our last.

[See the Evening Mail on Friday last.]

The first witness called was Thomas Wood, who deposed that he lived at St. Stephen's, near Canterbury, and that on Monday morning last, about 6, he found the body of the deceased in the highway leading from Canterbury to Ramsgate.

Mr. John Curling, of Oxengell, was next examined, and deposed to the permission given to the deceased, who had lived with him for upwards of five years as cook, to go out for a holiday on the Saturday; and that on being informed on the following morning that she was lying dead in the road near the turnip field of Mr. Garrett, he went there and saw the body, and directed it to be removed to St. Lawrence workhouse; that he then proceeded towards Sandwich, where, on the road at Ebb's Fleet-gate, he learnt that a gig had passed through there about nine on the preceding evening from Sandwich, and that a person of the name of Pain was in it; and on further inquiry, that Eleanor Tritton, the deceased, and the said gig with Pain in it, had also passed the "Red Lion" public house at Stonar, on the same evening.

John Tipper, the landlord of the "Red Lion" public house above-mentioned, deposed that the prisoner Pain stopped at his house on Sunday evening, about nine o'clock, in a single horse chaise, and had a glass of English gin, observing that he had overtaken a young woman and requested her to ride, which he refused; and he (Tipper) thinking it late for a young woman to be walking alone, went out and heard some person approaching, who, having nearly reached his house, a woman dressed in black, and in every respect resembling the deceased, said, "Is there any reason here waiting for me from Oxengell?" to which he replied "No." She then said she should walk on, and proceeded accordingly; soon after which the said John Pain left his house in the chaise, and was apparently very sober.

William Gibbons, the innkeeper of Ebb's Fleet-gate, deposed that the prisoner passed through the gate on Sunday afternoon, in a single horse chaise, in which, besides himself, who was driving it, there was a gentleman; and that about nine in the evening of the same day the said chaise, also driven by Pain, returned through the gate, the only being in it; at the same time a young woman dressed in dark clothes was walking by the side of the chaise, and appeared to be in conversation with the person who drove it.

John Castle, of the parish of St. Lawrence, servants in husbandry, deposed, that on Sunday afternoon, November 23rd, the deceased left the house of Mr. John curling, of Ozengell; that the said Elena Tritton not returning at her usual hour (nine o'clock), he went out to meet her to accompany her home; that he had preceded about three quarters of a mile, when he met a chaise, and the person who accompanied him (John Mummery) called out "Ozengell," the name of the farm where the deceased servant lived; that thereupon the said Eleanor Tritton, whom he knew by her voice, replied, "Castle, for heaven's sake take me out," meaning out of the chaise in which she was riding; that then the person who was driving whipped the horse, which immediately sprang forward at an increased rate; that he then turned round, and followed the chaise as fast as he could; that on turning the corner from the Sandwich into the Canterbury Road, the deceased said, "For God's sake take me out," and she appeared attempting to throw herself into his arms, but she was prevented from doing so by the man who was in the chaise pulling her back. She then said, "Lord have mercy upon us; come on, Castle." Witness continued following the chaise on the road leading towards Ramsgate, but was not able to overtake it; and on it's turning out of the present turnpike-road into the old Sandwich road, and from thence toward Chilton, he lost sight of it. Witness then proceeded towards Ramsgate, and having arrived there, he perceived the chaise coming from the barracks, and followed it into the town; the nearer witness got to it the more the driver whipped. The chaise then turned up Broad Street, and came down by the new chapel, and turned up the High Street, through Chatham Street into the Margate Road, where witness lost sight of it. Witness then went home to Ozengell, and told his fellow-servant what had passed; and witness said that John Mummery took a lantern and searched in the field for the deceased, but could not find her; they then went home to bed, at about two o'clock in the morning; he got up again about five, and then his master was called by the said J. Mummery who, in his presence, informed him that the cook was missing. That's thereupon his master took him home, and proceeded towards Margate, having directed Mummery and himself to take the Ramsgate Road, which they did, having previously appointed to meet at the "Spread Eagle," Ramsgate, after they have made the necessary search. That they met there, and witness communicated to his master, as did also Mummery, that the cook was dead, and stated where she was. Witness had examined the body of the deceased, and found it was the said Eleanor Tritton. That when he saw the chaise in Ramsgate, there was only one person in it; the deceased was not in it.

John Mummery disposed, that in company with Castle he followed the chaise till he lost sight of it on the turnpike-road leading from Canterbury to Ramsgate, near Mr. Garratt's fir-trees; Castle be in about four rode before him. In other particulars his evidence was corroborated by that of Castle.

Mr. Algernon Sidney Peake, surgeon, of Ramsgate, deposed, that he had every reason to believe that the deceased came to her death by the rupture of a blood vessel in head; and he was led to that conclusion by the swollen appearance of her features, and her mouth being full of blood.

The coroner summed up the evidence in a most able manner, and the Jury, after a careful consideration, brought in a verdict of manslaughter against John Pain, who was immediately committed, under the Coroner's warrant, for trial to Maidstone Gaol; whither he was escorted by two peace officers, and passed through this city on Wednesday in one of the night coaches.

Kentish Gazette.


Yorkshire Gazette, Saturday 19 January 1822.

Mysterious death.

Under this head, in a paper of the 1st ult., we gave the proceedings of an inquest held at St. Lawrence, in the Isle of Thanet on the body of Eleanor Tritton, in relation whose death some very extraordinary and suspicious circumstances were disposed to. The deceased will be recollected, lived servants with Mr. J. Curling, of Ozengell, who, on Sunday, November 25th, gave her permission to go and see her sister at Sandwich. A servitude of upwards of five years had established her character for propriety and punctuality, and very much alarm was felt by the family when the hour of nine arrived, and she had not returned. Two of the male domestics were sent in quest of her. Before the inquest, these men deposed that, about half a mile from the house they met a chaise which they hailed; a voice, which lane you to be that of Eleanor Tritton, exclaimed "for God's sake take me out;" the driver (John Paine) whipped the horse and proceeded onwards. Next morning the corpse of the young woman was found in a field by the roadside. A Surgeon of Ramsgate gave in his opinion, that she came to a death by the rupture of a blood-vessel. The jury returned a verdict of Manslaughter against Paine, the driver, who was apprehended, and now lies for trial in Maidstone Gaol. The Kentish Gazette of yesterday says. The body of Eleanor Tritton, the poor girl who was found dead near Ramsgate, has lately been, by the desire of her father, taken up, opened, and carefully examined by Messrs. Girard and Chambers, Surgeons, in the presence of the distress father, and her master; the result is, of course, kept private.


Belfast Commercial Chronicle, Saturday 30 March 1822.

John Paine, was indicted for the murder of Eleanor Tritton, at Ramsgate, on the 25th of November last, I throwing her out of a gig, whereby she was suffocated.

The Prisoner was a post-chaise boy of the "Bull and George Inn," at Ramsgate; the deceased, a young female servants, in the employment of a farmer, named Carling, residing at Oxengell, in the Isle of Thanet. Mr. Carling gave her leave to go and see her friends at Sandwich. It was agreed that two of her fellow servants should meet her on the road in the evening. The prisoner have been sent in a one-horse chaise to drive a Gentleman from Ramsgate to Sandwich. In the evening, when driving home, he overtook the deceased, and took her up. About nine o'clock her fellow servants, named Castle and Mummery, met the gig on the road. It was very dark. The latter called out the name of their master's farm, and the deceased, recognising the voice, said, "For heaven's sake, Castle, take me out!" The prisoner, upon this, whipped his horse and drove on faster. The deceased stood up in the gig, as if the jump out; when prisoner pulled her down again. She said, "Lord have mercy upon us come on Castle." Castle and his companion ran after the chaise as fast as they could, but could not overtake it. The prisoner drove on as fast as he could. The gig was pursued to Ramsgate, and there lost sight of. Next morning the deceased was found dead by the roadside, within six rods of the spot where are the witnesses met with the gig. The prisoner had made a circuitous road home. Distinct evidence was given to connect the prisoner with the transaction, but as to the precise manner in which the deceased came by her death, the evidence was a blank. Three medical men gave it as their opinion that the deceased died from suffocation, by falling on her face on the
greenswood by the roadside, and remaining there without respiration. There was a slight bruise on her nose, and her mouth was full of coagulated blood. After she had been buried three weeks, she was taken up, and two surgeons opened the body. The lungs were found to exhibit decided appearance of suffocation. The first surgeons who had seen the body gave it as his opinion that she died of apoplexy, from the concussions she received in the full producing the sudden stoppage of respiration.

The case went to the Jury, and they found the prisoner Guilty of Manslaughter, and he was sentenced to pay a fine of 21s. and to be imprisoned for 12 months in the County Gaol.


From the Kentish Gazette, 17 October 1837.


Oct 5, at Sandwich, Mr. John Tipper, many years landlord of the "Red Lion," Stonar, aged 77.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 31 March 1883.

One of the enquiries he held lead to an important change in the law. A young woman named Eleanor Tritton was riding in a post chaise, and on the post boy attempting to take a liberty with her, she jumped out, and was killed. By direction of the coroner the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter, and offence at that time only punishable by a year's imprisonment and a fine of one guinea. The law was subsequently ordered, and now sentences for the crime of manslaughter vary from a short term of imprisonment to penal servitude for life.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 3 November, 1860.


An inquest was held by C. J. Fox, Esq., deputy-coroner, at the "Red Lion Inn," Stonar, on Friday, on the body of Thomas Kingsland, a farm servant, found dead in the adjoining parish of Minster. The following evidence was taken:—

Charles Rogers, of Stonar, fisherman, said:— Yesterday afternoon, the 25th October, I was out in the Sandwich Haven, near Stonar, fishing. I saw something floating on the water. It was about twelve or fourteen feet from me. After it had passed the boat, my little boy, who was with me, said, "Oh! father, it's a man." I sculled up to it, and picked it up, and found it was the body of a man. I made it fast to the boat, and went and told Mr. Cook, who lives at the "Red Lion," close by. We afterwards returned to the boat, and I assisted in removing the body from the water to the lodge, where it is now lying, I identify the body as that of the deceased. I was present when the body was searched. There was found in money 6 17s. 11 1/2d., and two bills receipted, for 1 11s. 4d., which appeared to have been paid on the 11th Oct. These, with other articles found in deceased's pockets, were taken possession of by Superintendent Stokes.

By the Foreman:—I never observed any marks of violence on the body of the deceased. It was very much decomposed when I found it.

Eliza Pilcher, wife of Thomas Pilcher, of St. Peter's-street, Sandwich, carpenter, said:— The deceased was my cousin. On the evening of the 11th Oct., about twenty minutes past eight, I saw him at the corner of the Cattle Market, in Sandwich. I wished him "Good night" as he passed. I noticed that he had a bundle under his arm, containing us I believe, some of his clothes. The direction he was going led to his father’s house, who lived on the Deal road, near Sandwich, close to the Haven. The deceased, on the 11th of Oct. had a brother, who was a cabin-boy on board a schooner lying in the Haven, close to his father's house; and I believe that he was going to the vessel, to see his brother, and not knowing the way accidentally fell into the water, and was drowned. When I saw the deceased at the Cattle Market, he did not appear to be under the influence of liquor. He was a very steady young man. He was 26 years of age, and lived as farm servant at Mr. Sladden's, at Adisham Court. When I saw him in the evening of the 11th of Oct., he was, I believe, on his way home to his father's to spend his Michaelmas holidays.

A letter from the deceased's master (Mr. Sladden) was produced, wherein he stated that on the 11th Oct. the deceased took his year’s wages, amounting to 9, and left with the intention of going home for a few days' holiday.

The jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned in the Sandwich Haven, but from what cause there is not sufficient evidence to show."


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 5 October, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


On Sunday afternoon Captain Durant was suffocated in a dike, in the marshes adjoining the Sandwich road. It appears that he arrived at Ramsgate from Herne Bay on Saturday, and put up at the “Royal Hotel.” On Sunday morning he was seen on the Ramsgate sands, apparently very much the worse for liquor. He was walking up to his knees in the water with his boots on. He then returned to the hotel, changed his boots, and proceeded to the Roman Catholic chapel, where his conduct was such as to cause great annoyance to the congregation, and he was forcibly ejected. Subsequently he hired a boy and pony chaise to take him for a drive. After proceeding to the Salt Pond on the Sandwich road, he left the chaise in the care of the boy and set off on a ramble among the dikes. Nothing appears to be known of his subsequent movements, except that some time afterwards he was found dead in a dike.

An inquest was held on the body on Tuesday last at the “Red Lion,” Minster, before T. T. Delasaux, Esq., the coroner, when the following witnesses were examined:—

Stephen West, labourer, living in the parish of Stonar, said:— On Sunday last, at about four o'clock in the afternoon, I was on the sea wall, and saw the deceased come over the sea wall and go towards the river Stour; and he shortly afterwards came back and fetched a white dog (which I have this day seen), and which he took in his arms, and went again towards the river. As I saw nothing again of the deceased, I went in search of him, and having procured some drags, I found the body of the deceased in the water. He was then quite dead. It did not appear to me that he had accidentally fallen into the water, but I believe he threw himself in. The shoes of the deceased were found on the shore about six yards from the spot when his body was found.

Charles Rogers, fisherman in the parish of Stonar, confirmed the evidence of the last witness.

George Watts, a labourer, living in Ramsgate, said that on Sunday last he drove the deceased to Margate in a pony chaise, he returned and took him to the Sands, where he bathed. Shortly after he drove him to the Catholic Chapel, and left him there, calling for him, by his orders, when the services was over. Subsequently he took him to the “Royal Hotel,” Ramsgate, where witness believed he was staying. He afterwards drove the deceased to Pegwell Bay, and then to the Bridge, in the parish of Minster, where he set him down. He remained there half an hour, and saw the deceased jump over a ditch after some bullocks, he told witness several times to return home, and he did so. Deceased was not sober when he left him, and on the road he had drunk gin and ale at two houses.

Thomas Noakes, Sergeant K.C.C., stationed at Minster, said that he searched the body of the deceased when it was taken out of the water, and he found a gold watch, chain, and seal, two gold rings, and 1s. 6d. in silver and copper.

Mr. R. T. Hiscock said that he kept the “Royal Hotel,” Ramsgate. The deceased was an inmate of his house. He came there on Saturday, with his wife. Witness had known him for the last two years. He appeared to be in an excited state when he saw him on Saturday. He believed that he had been confined in a Lunatic Asylum in France.

The Coroner briefly addressed the Jury, who returned a verdict of “Accidentally Drowned.”


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 12 October 1861.

Ramsgate. The Shocking Death of Captain Durant.

An inquest on the body of this unfortunate gentleman was held on Tuesday last, at the "Red Lion Inn," Minster, before T. T. Delasaux Esq., the coroner, when the following witnesses were examined.

Stephen West, a labourer, living in the parish of Stonor, said:- On Sunday last, at about four o'clock, I was on the cut wall, and saw the deceased come over the sea wall and go towards the River Stour; and he shortly afterwards came back and fetched a white dog (which I have this day scene,) which he took in his arms and went again towards the river. As I saw nothing again of the deceased, I went in search of him, and having procured some drags, I found the body of the deceased in the water. He was then quite dead. It did not appear to me that he had accidentally fallen into the water, but I believe he threw himself in. The shoes of the deceased were found on the shore about 6 yards from the spot where the body was found.

Charles Rogers, fisherman in the parish of Stoner, confirmed the evidence of the first witness.

George Watt, labourer, living in Ramsgate, said that at 4 o'clock on Sunday last he drove the deceased Margate in a pony chaise. He returned, and took him to the sands, where he bathed. Shortly after he drove him to the Catholic chapel and left in there, calling for him by his orders, when the service was over. Subsequently he took him to the "Royal Hotel," Ramsgate, where witness believed that he was staying. At about 10 o'clock he drove the deceased and Pegwell Bay, and then to the bridge, in the parish of Minster, where he set him down. He remained there half an hour, and saw the deceased jump over a ditch after some bullocks. He told witnessed several times to return home, and he did so. Deceased was not sober when he left him, and on the road he drank gin and ale at two houses.

Thomas Noakes, Sergeant K.C.C. stationed at Minster, said he searched the body of the deceased when it was taken out of the water, and found a gold watch, chain, and seal, 2 gold rings, and 1s. 6d. in silver and copper.

Mr. R. T. Hiscock said he kept the "Royal Hotel," Ramsgate. The deceased was an inmate of his house. He came there on Saturday with his wife. Witness had known him for the last 2 years. He appeared to be in an excited state when he saw him on Saturday. He believe that he had been confined to a lunatic asylum in France.

The coroner briefly addressed the jury, who returned a verdict of Accidentally Drowned.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 23 July, 1864.


On Monday Mr. W. P. Callaway, and a respectable jury, held an inquest at the “Red Lion” public house, Stonar, near Sandwich, on the body of Charlotte Rolfe, aged 25, who had committed suicide by drowning herself. Several witnesses were examined, but the facts may be briefly stated. Last year the deceased, who is the mother of three illegitimate children, was living in service at Ramsgate, but since September she had resided with her mother at Sandwich. For some time past she has regularly received 1 from William Walker, a seaman on board a ship of war, and there was an agreement between her and Walker that she was to place the monies in the Savings’ Bank in order that they might be married on Walker's return home. Instead, however of putting the money in the Savings’ Bank she spent it. About two mouths ago Walker wrote for the money, stating that he wanted to buy his discharge to return home. On the receipt of the letter the girl's manner became changed.

After leaving her mother’s on Monday she went to the house of a neighbour. She was then crying, and said she had more on her mind than anyone was aware of, and that her mother’s husband had threatened to cut her throat, and wring the necks of her children. After staying in the neighbour's house till evening she went away and was not afterwards seen alive. Her body was found floating in the river Stour, at Stonar, about five o'clock on Saturday afternoon, in her pocket was found a letter from Walker. The letter stated that the writer was tired of the sea and wished to return home. He enclosed a half-sovereign and expressed a hope to marry the person written to on his return. The jury returned a verdict that the deceased had committed suicide while in an unsound state of mind.


From an email received 9 August 1881.

William Edward Fuller.

Personal Estate under 200.

The will of William Edward Fuller, late of "The Red Lion" Inn Saltpans in the parish of Stonar in the County of Kent, Licensed Victualler who died 12th February 1881 at the said inn was proved at Canterbury by Emma Fuller of Inn Widow the Relict the sole Executrix.

The above is only an index to his full will but does at least provide a precise location and date of death. It is interesting to note that he was only 35 when he died begging the question "what did he die of I wonder? Emma outlived him remarried and died in 1903.

In the 1871 census return William was listed as a domestic gardener.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 7 May, 1909.



The Wingham Petty Sessions were held at Wingham yesterday morning, before H. F. Plumtre Esq. (in the chair), Sir A. N. Wollaston, Sir James Lyall, the Rev. S. G. H. Sargent, Maj. General Lloyd, and H. W. Plumptree, and A. W. Fleebrace, Esq.

Harry Andrews, crter, was charged with stealing from Solson Farm, Eastry, on 10th April, one coupling bat, value 2/6, the property of Lewis Petman.

Lewis Petman, farmer, of Eastry, stated that on the 10th April his man reported to him that a coupling bat was missing from the field where he had been working that morning. Witness informed the police, and subsequently the bat was found in the possession of the defendant Andrews. Its value was 2/6.

Arthur Howard, labourer, in the employ of Mr. Petman, corroborated.

P.C. Butler, stationed at Eastry, deposed that from information received about 2.15 p.m. on April 10th, he cycled to the "Red Lion," Stonar. Outside he saw a horse and waggon, and looked into it he saw the coupling bat, now produced. The defendant came out of the "Red Lion," and in reply to witness, said he was in charge of the waggon. Witness then informed him that he was making enquiries about a coupling bat that had been stolen from Solson Farm, Eastry. The defendant said he knew nothing about it, but afterwards turned to his waggon and taking out a coupling bat, said, "Is that it?" Witness replied that it was similar to the one stolen, and the defendant then said, "I saw it lying on the roadside and picked it up and threw it in my waggon as I thought it would come in useful." He charged him and brought him to Sandwich Police Station.

The defendant said he had a sudden temptation, and he was very sorry for what he had done.

A fine of 10s., or in default 7 days, was inflicted.


From an email received 1 July 2016.


I was in St. Martin's Churchyard yesterday and ticked a war grave for J H Chapman died 2 November 1917. It caught my eye because he was in the buffs like my great grandad, and because of his age, 61 when he died which seemed old for a soldier.

R J Chapman gravestone

I came home and did a little research and turns out he was in the buffs then transferred to the labour corps. He died in military hospital Canterbury. Whether this was from wounds or illness overseas I don't know. In any case he had already fought in the Zulu wars in the 1870's. Early in his life he was a agricultural labourer but later, on the 1901 and 1911 census, he is shown as head of household and public inn at the "Red Lion" pub Stonar which he ran with his wife Mary and one servant. I suspect he may have remained the public and up to his death, or at least until he rejoined the army. I note this seems to somewhat fill a gap on the known landlords on the "Red Lion" page of your website.

I hope this is of some interest. Perhaps if you could add this info to your website it would be a small but fitting tribute to this one man on this 100th anniversary of the beginning of the battle of the Somme.


Richard Diedo.


One time Cobbs tied house. Cobbs were founded in 1673, but Whitbread took them over early 1968 and closed the brewery later that year. I believe the pub was still serving the the late 1980s and possibly in the early 90s.



TIPPER John 1821-Oct/37 dec'd

LANGLEY Richard 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

BEERLING John 1841+

BURTON William 1847+

BURTON George 1851+

COOK James Gilbert 1871-74+ (age 57 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1874

FULLER William Edward dec'd to Feb/1881

FULLER Emma Mrs Feb/1881-82+ (age 30 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882

RUBB Robert R 1890-91+ (also ferry keeper)

CHAPMAN John H 1901-11+ (age 55 in 1911Census) Kelly's 1903

LUCUS A J 1913+ Post Office Directory 1913

DOYLE Mr 1965-68+

BETTIS James C 1974+ Library archives 1974 Cobb & Co

With so many "Red Lions" about, the above reference could well be for another "Red Lion." But this was a Cobbs house


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-