Sort file:- Broadstairs, October, 2023.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 22 October, 2023.


Earliest 1803-

Neptune's Hall

Open 2014+

1-3 Harbour Street


Neptunes Hall 1970s

Above photo, circa 1970s.

Neptune's Hall

Photos date unknown from by John Law.

Neptune's Hall 2010

Above photo 2011 by David Anstiss Creative Commons Licence.

Neptunes Hall sign 1994Neptune's Hall 2010

Above sign left 1994. Sign right 2010.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Neptune's Hall sign 2020

Above sign, 2020, kindly taken and sent by Roger Pester.


Kentish Gazette, 5 April 1803.


On Thursday, April 14, 1803.

AT the sign of the "Neptune's Hall, at three o'clock, in the afternoon, (unless before disposed of by private contract, of which notice will be given).

A fine Lugsail Boat the Chance, 33 feet 4 inches long, 11 feet 4 inches wide, copper fastened, together with her materials.

Also the Boat Christmas 23 feet long, breadth 5 feet, with her materials.

And a Galley 26 feet long, with her materials.

The above now lay in Broadstairs Pier, are in good condition, well found, and fit for sea. For further particulars apply to Mr. Stephen Jarman, mariner, Ramsgate, or at the "Neptune's Hall", Broadstairs.


From the Kentish Gazette, 26 March, 1807.

Horrid murder in the Isle of Thanet.

This day Andrew Schostock, a German, was tried on indictment, charging him with the wilful murder of Thomazin Ward, at St Peter's, in the Isle of Thanet, on the 16th of January.

Mr. Gurney opened the prosecution, and he was followed on the same side by Mr Garrow, who stated the facts attending the case to the jury. The councel observed, that the Prisoner was a private soldier in the King's German legion, and the unfortunate woman who was murdered was at the time a shopkeeper of respectability, residing at St Peter's, in the Isle of Thanet. She had taken a walk to Broadstairs, about a mile distance from her place of residence, and not having arrived back again at the time appointed, her husband became alarmed for her safety, and, on search being made, the body was found in a field, about 60 yards from the road. It was evident, the learnt counsel observed, that the unfortunate woman had experienced much violence, her body was exposed, and her person has been injured. The prisoner, it would be proved, was seen walking a few yards distance from the deceased a short time before the murder was committed, and it would be proved in evidence that he was absent from his guard, without leave, from 7 till 10 o'clock, his shoes with dirty with field dirt; and it would be proved that he was found in possession of three handkerchiefs, the property of the deceased, which had been taken from her. On being questioned where he was at 9 o'clock, the prisoner said he was at the "Neptune's Hall" public house, which would be contradicted in evidence; and he said that the handkerchief's found in his possession had been given him by a stranger. In another conversation the prisoner has said he saw a man knock a woman down, and it was the same man who gave him the handkerchief.

A ribband was found tied tight around the neck of the deceased, it would be proved by her husband, that she never wore an appendage of that kind. It would be stated by a Surgeon, that by this ribband the deceased was strangled. Under the strong circumstances attending the case, the Jury would have no doubt of the guilt of the prisoner.

Henry Blackburn, a carpenter, residing at Broadstairs, stated, that he met a soldier in the regimentals worn by the German Legion, as he was returning home from the village of St Peter's, about 9 o'clock, on the evening of the 16th of January, and he immediately after met the deceased, who he knew, and with whom he conversed. She was in good health, and was going home. Witness could not swear to the prisoner as being the man who he met.

Steven May found the body of the deceased at 12 o'clock at night, in a field about 60 yards from the road, where the preceding witness saw the deceased. She was lying on her back, and her apparel was in a very disorderly state, it being mostly torn from her. Her mouth was open, and witness found a handkerchief lying by her side, which was wet, and from appearances it had been stuffed into the mouth of the deceased. A ribbon was also fastened as tight as possible around her neck. Her person had sustained a good deal of injury. There were tracks of two persons having had a scuffle from the road to the field.

Mr Frome, a surgeon, at Broadstairs, examined the body of the deceased, but there were no external marks sufficient to cause death. There might be a concussion of the brain by a fall, or by other violence, so as not to leave appearances behind. Witnesses had seen the ribband which was tied twice round the neck, and which he believed was a cause of death by suffocation.

Sergeant Frederick Riford, a sergeant belonging to the German Legion, proved, that, on the evening of a murder, the prisoner absented himself from the guard without leave, from 7 till 10 o'clock. In consequence of the information given at the guard room by a Mr Barfield of the murder, a privy was search, and two handkerchiefs found therein, which were proved to have belonged to the deceased. Another handkerchief, which had also been taken from the deceased, was found in the crown of the prisoner's foraging cap. The prisoner had informed witness, that the handkerchiefs were given him by a stranger who he had seen knock a woman down, after dragging her into a field.

Mr Robert Barfield, Sub-Deputy of St Peter's, gave information of the murder at the guard-house, in the presence of the prisoner, who appeared a good deal agitated. This gentleman corroborated what was stated by the preceding witness respecting the finding of the handkerchiefs; and he also stated, that the shoes of the prisoner covered with field dirt.

The testimony of other witnesses strengthened the case, so as to leave no doubt of the guilt of the prisoner, and one of them proved that he had left the "Neptune's Hall" at half-past eight o'clock. Another witness proved, that the prisoner had pointed out the spot where the murder was committed.

William Ward, the husband of the deceased, who appeared deeply affected, said that his wife and gone to Broadstairs on the evening of the murder to see her daughter, and he proved that she never wore a ribbon around her neck.

Judge Heath summed up the evidence, and the jury without hesitation found the prisoner - Guilty.

He was sentenced to be executed on Saturday next, and his body to be dissected.

The prisoner had an interpreter, and after sentence was passed on him, he said, "there is one God, and one heaven," and he had one prayer to make, the judge having informed him he did not expect mercy in this world.


Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 10 August 1819.



All that long-established and well accustomed Freehold Public House called "Neptunes Hall," and also a small Tenement adjoining with an extensive range of Coach-houses and Stables in the rear, and convenient yards and other appurtenances there unto respectively belonging most desirably situated at Broadstairs, in the Isle of Thanet, and now in the occupation of Mr. Richard Piper and his undertenants, of whom immediate possession may be had.

Part of the purchase money may remain on mortgage if required. For further particulars, and to treat for the purchase, apply at the Office of Mess. May and Mercer, solicitors, Deal.


Thanet Times, Tuesday 3 November, 1964.

They just love Broadstairs.

Aubrey Chambers 1964

Although they have been in the licensed trade since 1925, the last 12-months have been the happiest for Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Chambers, of the "Neptune Hall Hotel," Harbour Street, Broadstairs.

After 18 years in country pubs, there move to Broadstairs in November last year was the best they had ever made.

"We just love Broadstairs," said Mr. Chambers. "And it also means that I can get in plenty of angling, my favourite sport."

A special favourite among the customers of the "Neptune Hall" is Julie, Mr. Chambers seven-year-old Alsatian.

It was after leaving the Royal Navy, where he served for over 5-years on minesweepers, that Mr. Chambers went into the trade. He worked for his father for 2 years to gain the necessary experience before taking his first pub.

They spent 5 and a half years at Dunstable, and another 10 and a half years at Harpenden, before moving to the coast.


East Kent Times and Mail, Wednesday 6 October 1976.

Aubrey and Joan leave friendly Neptune.

A career that has spanned 30 years of pint-pulling will be over for a Broadstairs landlord at the end of this month.

Neptune Hotel licensees 1976

Aubrey Chambers, 67, and his wife Joan, have decided it is time to hang up their beer glasses for the last time at the "Neptune Hotel," Harbour Street.

And last month Mr. and Mrs. Chambers received the honour of being awarded the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) pub of the month prize for the first time in their 13-year residence at the "Neptune."

Mr. Chambers said:- "The award came and such a surprise to us but it feels nice to be honoured just before retirement in this way.

"We have both had some great times at the "Neptune" and have made so many friends through the pub it will be sad to leave, although we are staying in Broadstairs because it is such a beautiful town.

Aubrey started working in pubs when he came out of the army in 1945 and helped his father running and inn at Bedfordshire before taking over his first house the "Victoria" at Dunstable two years later.

In 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Chambers moved to Hertfordshire where they ran the "Marquis De Granby" at Harpenden for nearly 11 years before moving to Broadstairs.

What did Aubrey think made a good publican? "Well, it takes a lot of dedication because you are working 17 hours a day from my all-year-round.

"I think the "Neptune" has been my favourite pub because the atmosphere is very warm and friendly, with a nice Victorian building."

he added:- "A pub should be somewhere where you can sit and have a quiet drink and relax. The recent trend over the years of disco-pub has meant a lot of very good houses have lost a lot of the quaint charm and peaceful atmosphere, which I think is a great shame.

"A noisy pub makes communication very difficult - a factor I think is very important if a pub is to be run successfully."

Aubrey said he will follow his favourite hobby, fishing, more closely in retirement. He said he has rarely been able to get a good day's fishing in the last 30 years because of his irregular hours but will change that as soon as possible.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are members of Holy Trinity church and have always taken an interest in church activities.

Aubrey said:- "We also ran competitions at Christmas to raise money for local charities and the last two years our collections have been donated to the RNLI.

Aubrey and Joan have one son Trevor who is an engineer officer in the Merchant Navy.




LAMBERT John 1826+

HALL John Lambert 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

WEST Valentine 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

BURGESS William 1839-40+

SEARLE Arthur 1841+ (age 47 in 1841Census)

POINTER Mrs 1847-58+ (age 35 in 1851Census)

PARKER William 1861-62+ (also cordwainer age 47 in 1861Census)

BRANNAN Thomas Erward 1867+

YOUNG Absalom George 1871+ (age 27 in 1871Census)

DRAY Thomas 1874+

FORD William 1881-82+

FULLER Harriet 1890+

WILLS William John 1891+

KING Percey B 1901+

KING John 1903+ Kelly's 1903

HAZELTON Jane E Mrs 1911-22+ (age 56 in 1911Census)

HAZELTON Charles Raith 1934+

MEECH George E 1938+

CHAMBERS Aubrey 1963-Oct/76


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-