DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Friday, 21 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest Apr 1968

(Name from)

Man of Kent

Latest 1997

(Name to)

Wincheap Green

Canterbury

Man of Kent 1987

Above photo, 1987.

Man of Kent sign 1975

Above sign, 1975, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Man of Kent sign 1991Man of Kent sign 1991

Above signs 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

 

The licence of the original "Man of Kent" in Worthgate Place was transferred here in April 1968 as that pub was to close the following month. Previous to the name change this pub was the "Station House" but later it change name again to the "Round House" in 1997.

In 1972 the brewers Fremlins/Whitbread asked the Queen's Own Buffs Regiment for permission to use a copy of the painting by Lady Butler of a "Man of Kent" which hung in the Officers' Mess at the barracks to be used as their pub sign, and this was duly granted.

Officers' Mess painting

On Friday 11th September HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark unveiled a bronze statue commemorating the Buffs, the statue was taken from that same painting.

Buffs bronze statue

Above photo of the Bronze statue and creator Peter Birkett.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, Friday 30 January, 1987. Price 25p. By Tricia Jamieson and John Deal.

FAMILY IN GAS FUMES MYSTERY.

A CANTERBURY pub landlord, his wife and young daughter were rushed to hospital early yesterday (Thursday) after being overcome by gas fumes at the "Man of Kent" in Wincheap.

Mavin and Jacqueline Wilkinson 1987

Licensee Mr Mavin Wilkinson, aged 50, was found unconscious in a first-floor lounge and his wife, Jacqueline, had collapsed on the stairs.

Yesterday, Mr Wilkinson was in Kent and Canterbury Hospital's intensive care unit where he was “coming round slowly.”

Mrs Wilkinson (38) and their daughter Jermain (six) were also detained in hospital and their conditions yesterday were “satisfactory.”

All three were reported to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas board officials are carrying out an investigation into the cause of the fumes.

The alarm was raised shortly after midnight by Mrs Wilkinson, who managed to call an ambulance before collapsing.

She was found on the stairs by student Julia Thomas, who lives on the top floor of the pub with three fellow students from Christ Church College. None were affected by the fumes.

Complained.

Julia had heard a bump and Mrs Wilkinson calling for help.

Mr Wilkinson was found unconscious in the lounge — where there is a gas fire — and Jermain was in her bedroom.

Firemen, alerted by ambulancemen, turned off the gas supply and opened the windows.

Over the past couple of weeks the Wilkinsons had complained of severe headaches and Mrs Wilkinson had been to hospital.

A Segas spokesman said it was too early to establish a cause for the fumes, but added: “It seems to be through faulty burning.

“There is no question of this being caused by a leak of household gas as that is not poisonous.

“We are looking at the gas appliances on the property and continuing our investigations."

The Wilkinsons have been at the "Man of Kent" for four years and were due to leave in about two weeks.

Last year Mr Wilkinson and his wife refurbished the pub, which is a Whitbread Fremlins house, at their own expense.

Brewery tenant and trade director Mr Frank Johnson said: “We are very sorry that our tenant and his family should have been injured.

“We have asked the gas board to check all installations and all the equipment at the pub.”

From an email received 6 March 2015

Hi Paul,

I was having a loft clear out and found the above which I had kept because I was one of the students lodging in the loft at the pub at the time. The article focused on the landlord and landlady at the time even saying no one else was affected. In fact there were 3 students and the landlords son (from his first marriage) in the loft at the time and we were all rescued by fire crew probably only a couple of hours from all dying. I went on to campaign for all landlords having to have an annual check, and certificate to this fact, that the gas boilers were safe. At least something good came from this. The boiler had been installed by an unqualified person – the bird's nest never existed – just a bodge job!

Best wishes,

Jan Hale.

 

LICENSEE LIST

WILKINSON Mavin & Jacqueline 1983-87

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com