Page Updated:- Monday, 06 December, 2021.


Earliest 1756

(Name from)

Blue Anchor


(Name to)

185 Faversham Road


01227 272 705

Blue Anchor 1910

Above photo, circa 1910. Kindly sent by John Robertson.

Blue Anchor 1905

Above postcard circa 1905.

Above photo 2010 by Chris Whippet, Creative Commons Licence.

Blue Anchor sign 2012

Above sign 2012.


The method of operation of the smuggling fraternity was to land goods close to the "Blue Anchor" pub, then ship them inland to Lenham, where heavy carts could load up with the brandy and tobacco for onward shipment to the major markets in London. Blue House farm was the base at the Lenham end, and Seasalter Cross farm and Pink Farm (which benefited from cunningly-concealed compartments, windowless rooms, and secret shafts) were both used as coastal depots for storage.

The present "Blue Anchor" is a late Victorian building, but there was a "Blue Anchor" here in 1756, which began as the "Crown" in 1744. This inn, two nearby farmhouses, a couple of farm cottages, and the ancient parsonage constituted what was known in the 19th century as 'Seasalter Village', but most of these historic buildings had been demolished by the 1960s.

This place, now called the Blue Anchor Corner, was formerly known as Codham's Corner, or Granny Hart's Corner, after earlier proprietors of the "Blue Anchor Inn."


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 1 June 1844.


At the office of J. G. Shepherd, Esq.. on Saturday last, Charles Smith, a shoemaker was brought up in custody of Church, the officer of the Ville of Dunkirk, charged with having, on the previous day, knowingly uttered a base five-shilling piece to Mrs. Hart, landlady of the "Anchor" public-house, Seasalter.

It appeared from her evidence that the prisoner, in company with several others went to her house early that morning, and partook of some refreshments, for part of which the prisoner tendered a base crown piece. Mrs. Hart gave him 4s. 8d. in change.

In consequence of some remarks as to who had got the "change," Mrs. H. examined the piece of coin, and found it to be a very bad one. She immediately followed them to the "Four Horse Shoes," Graveney; but on her arrival, the prisoner made off, as, it is supposed, he heard her telling Mrs. Gibbs, the landlady, of the affair.

Mrs. Gibbs stated that he was the same man who had offered her a bad sixpence. The prisoner was apprehended the following morning by Church, he was fully committed for trial at the ensuing quarter sessions.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 11 April, 1863.


Henry Hart, licensed victualler, of Seasalter, was charged with opening his house for the sale of beer before the hour of half-past 12, on the previous Sunday morning. Defendant said there was a pint of beer drawn to a lodger, but the clerk informed him that his license did not allow him to draw beer for a lodger in the morning. P.C. Hoad stated that he placed himself in concealment on the previous Sunday morning, for the purpose or watching the defendant's house, by direction of his superintendent. At 10 o'clock a man named Hocklen, the two Woods, and other drunken characters, went round to the back of the house, where they remained some time. The son of the defendant was out in the road, as if watching, so that he (the constable) could not follow them without being seen by him. After they had gone others went round to the back of the house, and remained there three quarters of an hour. At the least, 12 or 16 persons went there between 10 and 12 o'clock, but he (the constable) could not say whether they went inside or not.

When he got a chance, he went round to the back of the house, when he saw the daughter watching through the window. On going into the house, he caught the daughter going from the tap room with a pot containing beer, which she said she had drawn for a lodger. In the tap room he found a man named Carter, a very drunken character; he had been there about an hour, and there were five other men besides, but no beer. The men left the house smoking, and some of them the worse for liquor.

Supt. Walker said he had had a great deal of trouble with this house—it was a perfect nuisance, and all the drunken characters from Whitstable were in the habit of going up there on Sundays.

Fined 1, costs 8s. Defendant's wife expressed an earnest wish that the magistrates “would just come down and see the house themselves,” but they did not seem inclined to accept the invitation, so the money was paid and the defendant and his spouse retired.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 13 July 1907.


The transfer of the licence of the "Jolly Sailor," Whitstable-cum-Seasalter, from "George Shrubsole to John Frederick W. Hossback, was confirmed by the Magistrates at the St. Augustine's Petty Sessions, Canterbury, on Saturday.


From the Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, 12 November, 1910.



Herbert Waters, a mariner, of Middle Wall, Whitstable, was charged at St. Augustine's Petty Sessions at Canterbury on Saturday, with having between 31st December, 1909, and 17th March, 1910, he then being the bailee of certain chattels, stolen two pairs of fishing waders, two pairs of boots, two gallons of varnish. two gallons of linseed oil, and 30lbs. of lead paint, valued at between 4 and 5, the property of Charles William Marshall.

Prosecutor, a draper of Faversham, and a boat owner of Whitstable, stated that from time to time he had employed prisoner to assist him when he had gone fishing at Whitstable. He kept fishing tackle and other effects at "Wavecrest" for that purpose. His house. "Wavecrest," had been unoccupied during the winter, and the articles mentioned in the charge were kept in a store at the rear of the premises. Prosecutor had five boats at Whitstable, and prisoner could go to the store and use anything there required for the boats, but had no right to use it for any other purpose. About March of this year prosecutor went to the store and found the varnish, oil and paint missing, and therefore informed the police. He had since seen those goods, and identified them as his property. In October, 1909, he entrusted to prisoner two pairs of Scotch waders and two pairs of boots, and he now identified two pairs of waders as his, property. He valued the whole at between 4 and 5.

Nellie Knapp, daughter of William Richard Knapp, stated that in the early part of this year she was living at Whitstable. Prisoner asked her to sell a pair of waders for him, telling her to take them to Mrs. Friend’s, but, not to put them in his name. Mrs. Friend bought them for 2s., and she also gave the owner’s name as that of Allen. Prisoner’s daughter went with her and witness gave her the money.

Alice Friend, wife of Frederick Friend, second-hand dealer, of 43, Harbour Street, Whitstable, stated that on February 18th witness brought in a pair of waders, which she purchased for 2s. in the name of Allen.

William Hook, labourer, of Inland Wall, Whitstable, stated that about February 8th prisoner asked him if he would buy 2s. 6d. worth of paint or oil. Witness first said he had no use for it, but prisoner replied that witness would get good value, and it would do him (Waters) a good turn. He eventually bought the paint and oil for 2s. 6d., and prisoner took him to the store at the rear of "Wavecrest" where it was poured out of a large drum.

Arthur Dadd, boatman, of Waterloo Road, Whitstable, stated that on February 28th prisoner came to his house and said he had bought some varnish cheap, and asked witness to buy a quart. Witness did so, paying 1s. 6d. for it.

Nathaniel Keen stated that in February last prisoner stopped him on his way home from work and asked if he wanted to buy some varnish, saying he had more than he should want. Prisoner brought a gallon to his house, and he gave 3s. for it. Prisoner remarked that "now he could go home and buy food for his children."

Police-Sergeant Thomas stated that on receipt of information of the missing articles he made enquiries, which led him to interview all the previous witnesses, and also William Dorrington, licensee of the "Blue Anchor," Whitstable, with the result that the articles were recovered with the exception of the two pairs of boots. When charged with the theft, prisoner said. "Is that all?"

William Dorrington, landlord of the "Blue Anchor," Whitstable, stated that he knew the prisoner. He came to his house about the first week in January last and he brought with him some brown boots and a pair of fishing waders which he lent to some gentlemen who were staving at his (witness) house in order that they might go fishing and duck shooting. After they were done with them the boots and waders were left at witness’s house. A little later in the month prisoner asked witness to lend him some money as his daughter had died at Bromley. Witness let him have 10s., and prisoner said he could keep the waders as security. The boots and waders had been in witness's house ever since.

Prisoner pleaded guilty and said he was very sorry for what he had done. He sold the things in order to buy food for his children. He had a very bad winter. He intended to repay the money and get the things back for Mr. Marshall before the summer came on. He sent 26 home to pay for the things, but he found the money had not been paid over for the goods, and his son-in-law never went to Mr. Marshall to tell him where the things were.

Superintendent Heard said after committing the offence the prisoner absconded and from March to November had been at Shoeburyness where he was arrested. The prisoner had a wife and family at Whitstable and therefore the money he sent home might have been for their maintenance. About twenty years ago the prisoner was fined 10 for stealing, as the bailee, a boat.

The Chairman (Mr. F. H. Wilbee) said the prisoner had pleaded guilty to the charge and there was not the slightest doubt that was the best thing he could have done under the circumstances. He had been the temporary holder of certain property entrusted to him and he had not appreciated the confidence placed in him. There was not a shadow of excuse for the prisoner. He had had a good master who had treated him too well. The prisoner had committed a breach of trust and he would have to go to prison for three months hard labour.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 19 November 1910.


Of the "Blue Anchor," Seasalter.

Begs to Thank his many Friends (both old and new) for past patronage, and to inform them that he is taking over the "Pearson's Arms," Whitstable, on December 6th. Next, where he will be pleased to see them after 6 p.m.

Don't forget to drop in as there will always be a snack on hand. Tea and Coffee after 6 a.m., and as usual everything of the best. All proprietary brands will be stocked.

Ash and Co.'s Fine Ales A Speciality.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 14 June 1919.


Housemaid-Waitress; good wages.

Apply Mrs. Robinson, "Blue Anchor," Seasalter.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 22 December 1923.

The Annual Shoot Will take place at the "Blue Anchor," Seasalter, on December 26th.

Shooting commences at 11 o'clock sharp. Good Prizes.

Proprietor: Nat Phelps.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 16 January 1926.


'Phone Whitstable 6202

Under entirely New Management.

Proprietor - A. A. NEWCOMBE. All Proprietary Spirits and Wines.

Messrs. Beer & Rigden's "Kent's Best" Ales, Etc.

Board Residence. Luncheons. Teas.

Large Club Room Available.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 16 February 1935.


Your Committee has appointed Councillor Watts to interview Messrs. Fremlins, Ltd., the owners of the "Jolly Sailor Inn," Seasalter, and place before them the suggestion that the premises should be demolished and re-erected on another site, in order that the Council may carry out the improvement of widening the corner.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 17 April 1943.


Mr. Alan A. Newcombe, "Blue Anchor," Seasalter has received the following letter:-

I am commanded by my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty to inform you that they have learned with great pleasure that on the recommendation of the First Lord, the King has approved the award to you of a mention in dispatches for good services in M. V. Hindustan, in action with the enemy.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 06 January 1945.

To Patrons of the "Blue Anchor Cafe" (adjoining the "Blue Anchor Hotel," Seasalter.) The above will be closed from the 1st of January to the 1st April to enable repairs and extensions to be carried out.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 13 September 1952.

Whitstable Driver Did Not Stop After Accident.


For failing to stop after an accident at Whitstable, on July 21st, and for failing to report the accident within 24 hours, Frank Richard Rossiter, 31, Belmont Road, Whitstable, a machinist working in a garage, was fined a total of 3 and ordered to pay costs of 2 10s. by the St. Augustine’s Magistrates on Wednesday.

Rossiter, a married man with two children, pleaded not guilty to the first summons, of failing to stop, and guilty to the second.

The driver of another car, with which Rossiter's car came into collision. Mr. Reginald Charles Rivers, of Gasworks House, Bletchley, Bucks, described how at about 6.10 p.m., on Monday, July 21st. he was driving between the "Sportsman" and the "Blue Anchor" at Seasalter, towards Whitstable.

When he was near the Seasalter Stores he saw two pedestrians walking in the road. He decided to overtake them, put out his right hand and pulled out to the centre of the road. He was just pulling back to his near side when he felt "a tidy bump behind."

"I had to stop," said Mr. Rivers, "because my mudguard was jammed into my tyre. As the other vehicle passed me I shouted to the driver but it drew away and went out of sight. I am sure the driver saw me."

Mr. Rivers took the number of the car and reported the accident to P.C. Taylor at Whitstable Police Station. He told the magistrates that his off-side rear wheel was smashed.

P.C. Taylor saw Rossiter at his home on August 3rd and asked him about the accident. Rossiter replied, yes, he was involved in an accident on July 21st.

Giving evidence Rossiter said that as he was passing the other car he suddenly saw the two pedestrians. Not wanting to go into the pond on the other side of the road, "as I knew I would never get out again," he pulled back and just slightly hit the other car.

"I did not report the accident," said the defendant, "because I did not think it was at all serious." He had been driving for 23 years without an accident.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 11 April 1953.

"A Most Trivial Offence," Solicitor Tells Magistrates.

Absolute Discharge For Whitstable Butcher.

"Probably the most trivial technical offence that has ever wasted the time of this court" was how defending solicitor Mr. Elliot Allard described a Ministry of Food summons against a Whitstable butcher at at Augustine's Magistrates' Court on Wednesday of last week.

A complaint by Miss Winifred Campbell, that she had been overcharged 3d for 1 1/2 lbs of minced beef brought, before the magistrates. James Thomas Martin senr. of the "Blue Anchor Inn," Seasalter, owner of Messrs. Duffy's butchers shop, 41, Harbour Street.

With the manager of the shop, Josepn Harold White, of 16, Sydney Road, Whitstable— accused of aiding and abbetting— he was absoluteiy discharged on payment, shared between the defendants, of 2 12s. 6d. costs.

Mr. P. A. G. Aldington, prosecuting for the Ministry, said that the offence took place on January 28th when Miss Campbell was served by White with 14 lbs. of meat. She was charged 3s 3d. while the controlled price was 2s. a pound.

Miss Campbell, of 62, North-wood Road, Whitstable, said, that she paid the 3sa. 3d. because she thought the meat might be slightly over weight. Eventually she handed the meat over to the Ministry of Food.


She was asked by Mr. Allard: "It was not the first time was it, that you had reported Messrs. Duffy?”

When Miss Campbell replied that it was. Mr. Allard said that he had been instructed that there had been a similar occurrence when she had been under-charged 1/2d.

Questioning the witness further, Mr. Allard said: "Would it not be reasonable that Mr. White, knowing your position in the town, might have thought that you would like something better than ordinary mince—steak mince for instance?"

Miss Campbell answered: "Not necessarily."

Asked whether she had caused Mr. Martin, jnr. to be telephoned so that he could be invited to a cafe to discuss the matter. Miss Campbell said that was so, but it was only because she and her family wanted the matter settled "nicely without any trouble."

Miss Campbell added that it was the way White spoke on the telephone, when he took the receiver from Mr. Martin jnr. which made her family decide to make the complaint official.


Denying that she was still negotiating with Martin after the official complaint had been made. Miss Campbell said: "Our object was to meet him in the cafe and put to him quite nicely "That we did not like being overcharged for our meat."
Henry George Pittock, Ministry of Food Enforcement inspector, said that he visited the shop on the following day. He interviewed White and told him that a complaint had been made alleging that he had overcharged a customer.

In a statement, he said that the meat in question was chuck and blade brace steak for which he thought he was permitted to charge up to 2s. 6d. a lb.

Later, witness said, he called Upon Martin at the "Blue Anchor" and told him of statements that he had taken from Miss Campbell and White. Martin said that he owned the business but handled none of the management. He knew nothing of the over-charge.

Cross-examined, witness agreed that when he weighed the steak at the shop, it was 1 oz. over weight and said that although he was not an expert he imagined that allowing for evaporation the meat was probably even more over-weight at the time that it was purchased.

Asked if he thought this one of the regulations which considerably added to the difficulties of all butchers, he said: "I think I must agree."


At this point, on the instructions of Mr. Allard, White brought in the mincing machine. The solicitors' table swayed under its weight. In evidence White said that a butcher had to put in 2lb. of meat to get 1lb. of mince.

In mitigation Mr. Allard said: "It seems to me impossible for butchers to keep within the scope of existing meat regulations."

The regulations which covered mince meat stated that meat from anywhere should be charged at the same price. In Mr. Allard's opinion that encouraged butchers to use only inferior grades of meat for mince.

He continued: "It is a trivial regulation. If we look outside the court at our cars, we will see that half of us have illicit number plates. This is probably the most trivial technical offence that has ever wasted the time of this court."


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 6 March 1954.


At their meeting next Tuesday, Whitstable Council will be asked to seek the views of the Kent County Council on the proposal to lower the surface of the road under the railway bridge near the "Blue Anchor", at Seasalter, to enable double-decker buses to pass under the bridge.

The Surveyor (Mr. G. S. Dunkin) has told the Council’s Highways and Public Works Committee that it is possible to drain the road into the existing drainage dykes if the road is lowered by three feet.

He also reported that the Transport Commission would require Whitstable Council, at their own expense, to make trial holes to ascertain the depth and condition of the bridge walls, and submitted his views upon that suggestion.


From the 01 March 2010.

Woman almost blinded after being glassed outside Seasalter's Blue Anchor pub.

A woman needed emergency surgery to save her sight after a vicious attack in a pub car park.

The 24-year-old was almost blinded in one eye after she was glassed in the face at the "Blue Anchor" in Seasalter.

She had been sitting in her car when a woman started damaging her wing mirror.

When she got out of the car to confront the woman she was attacked with a broken glass.

She was taken to hospital and needed emergency surgery to remove glass from her eye.

Police say she may still lose the sight in her injured eye.

Anyone who witnessed the attack - which happened at around 2am on Sunday, February 21 - is urged to call police on 01227 868296 or Kent Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.


I am informed that the pub changed name to the "Oyster Pearl" some time around 2014.



HEART William 1801-28+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

HART Mary 1844-51+ (age 79 in 1851Census)

HART Henry Hart 1861-63+ (also Shepherd age 58 in 1861Census)

WRAIGHT William 1871-91+ (also wheelwright age 49 in 1891Census)

EMMERTON Thomas James 1901-Sept/1902 (age 43 in 1901Census) Whitstable Times

HODGMAN William Sept/1902-03+ Kelly's 1903Whitstable Times

SHRUBSOLE George to July/1907

HOSSBACK John Frederick W July/1907+

DORRINGTON William Next pub licensee had to Nov/1910

HOBDAY Charles 1911+ (Police Pensioner age 54 in 1911Census)

GILBERT Alfred 1918+

ROBINSON Mrs 1919+

PHELPS Nathaniel 1922-24+ Kelly's 1924

NEWCOMBE Alfred Arthur 1926-43+ Whitstable Times

MARTIN Thomas sen 1953+


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Kelly's 1924From the Kelly's Directory 1924


Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-