DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Canterbury, January, 2019.

Page Updated:- Friday, 11 January, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 2008

(Name from)

Parrot

Open 2019+

1-9 Church Lane

Canterbury

01227 454170

https://www.parrotcanterbury.co.uk/

https://www.whatpub.com/parrot

Parrot Parrot sign

Above photos taken by Paul Skelton, 19 May 2012.

 

The Parrot is a Grade ll listed building dating back to the 14th Century. Steeped in history this pub was originally known as St Radigunds Hall and was built on Roman foundations in 1370 just inside the Roman City Wall. At some point St Radigunds Hall became "Simple Simons." It was bought in 2008 by Young & Co.'s Brewery plc of Wandsworth - their first pub in this area of Kent. Following refurbishment the Young's renamed the pub the "Parrot" after hearing local rumours that it went by this name in previous centuries!

It is said a blue woman spirit has been seen in the void above the kitchen.

 

Taken from information on their web site.

The History of the "Parrot" 1370.

The "Parrot" is not just the oldest pub in Canterbury, it is one of the oldest buildings in the city. Originally known as St Radigund's Hall, it was built on Roman foundations in 1370 just inside the Roman City Wall.

In 1937 St Radigund's Hall, which took its name from the Monks of St Radigund's at Bradsole near Dover who owed properties here in the 13th Century, looked set to be demolished when it was condemned as unfit for human habitation.

As demolition began it appeared to be seven dwellings fitted inside one building. During restoration the building was found to contain many fine architectural details dating back to the 14th century. After the restoration it was used as a girls club, later being used as a restaurant and public house. The first floor restaurant shows the brilliant (and lasting) craftsmanship of the medieval period, with its oak knees, futtocks and three crown posts.

The 1470 staircase frames still exist and Flemish 15th century bricks line the building on the east side of the terrace. Roman bricks were used and the triangular structures viewed from the terraced garden, at the rear are 15th century chimneys.

Today this building continues to stand strong and remains a fine example of a Wealden Hall House, and one of Canterbury's most interesting pubs.

Following a sympathetic refurbishment in 2008/9 the "Parrot" is now a stunning drinking and dining venue in the heart of Canterbury.

Having renamed the pub the "Parrot" after hearing local rumours that it was once called the "Parrot" in previous centuries, although we haven't found any evidence to back this rumour up, we rather liked the name!

Know more than us about our history? Then get in touch and tell us what you know about the history of the "Parrot."

 

LICENSEE LIST

BOORMAN Chris & Victoria 2012+

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com