DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Monday, 26 August, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1837

New Inn

Open 2019+

2 Tothill Street

High Street

Minster

01834 826142

https://whatpub.com/new-inn

Red Lion 1905

Above postcard, 1905. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn 1908

Above postcard, 1908. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn postcard 1910

Above postcard, 1910. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn

All pictures above by kind permission of the "New Inn" circa 1910.

New Inn 1910

Above postcard, dated 1910. This is obviously a hand coloured version of the photograph above.

New Inn tea gardens 1910

Above postcard, 1910, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn date unknown

The notice states:- Oatmeal is provided free of charge for the use of horses stopping here during the bad weather. And the public are respectfully asked to contribute towards the cost of same by placing a donation in the collection box within or sending the same to the local Hon. Sec.

Tea Gardens

Above picture Tea Gardens of the "New Inn." 1907.

New Inn 1926

Above photo, circa 1926, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Charabanc outing

Above picture Charabanc outing outside the "New Inn." 1927.

New Inn 1923

Above photo, circa 1923, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn bus ride 1930

Above photo, 1930, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn

Above postcard, date unknown.

Minster map 1905

Above map 1905, kindly identified by Rory Kehoe.

New Inn New Inn sign 2012

Above sign photographed by Paul Skelton 4 July 2012

New Inn 2019

Above photograph, March 2019, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.

 

Found in Bagshaw Directory 1847.

In 1934 their telephone number was 28.

One time Cobbs tied house. Cobbs were founded in 1673, but Whitbread took them over early 1968 and closed the brewery later that year.

 

From information viewed inside the New Inn.

THE NEW INN MINSTER

if you spot a pub called the "New Inn", don't be misled, for it is invariably  the modern replacement of an ancient hostelry. Minster's "new Inn" is no exception. It was rebuilt in 1837, when its landlord was Edward Buddell and it was with Edward's father William that the story began. William Buddell was that special combination if innkeeper and showman so peculiar to the early 19th century. he was landlord of the 18th century "Thatched House," the forerunner of the "New Inn." A enterprising man, he discerned that Minster was becoming a popular day excursion haunt for visitors from Thanet's growing coastal resorts. In 1817 William Buddell set about converting his tea gardens into a pleasure complex modelled on those at Vauxhall and Ranelagh in London. It was landscaped and, according to an 1819 guide, "Neatly fitted with booths, orchestra, a platform for dancing and every other convenience." People would travel from as far as London to enjoy the delights, but not all with good intent; as evidence by an incident in 1817, when two men described as "Sportsmen" made mischief by seizing the visitors' umbrellas and making off with them. However, the reputation of Buddell's establishment remained high with genteel society, and with plenty of people willing to pay the 1/- (one shilling = 5 pence) admission, it was decided to rebuild "The elegant little place of amusement" into the ample "New Inn." Today, this former Whitbread House still has large gardens but alas, smaller, and without the features of old. Indeed, the bandstand and large old swing have gone, although stories and legends are still for the telling. As is the account of a visit to the gardens in 1817 by one Peter Splitfig: "My daughter Polly footed it away upon the platform among the dancers. I was unluckily induced to get into a swing erected for the amusement of the London visitants. Alas!.... The rope happening to break whilst I was in full motion, it precipitated me headlong through the glass case of a cucumber bed!" The unfortunate Splitfig had to fork out 1 for the broken cucumber frame and 1/- for the swing. An expensive day out, but generally the well-heeled visitors could afford it.

120 years ago the "New Inn" and the gardens were attracting up to 700 visitors a day, with donkey rides and Al Fresco entertainment. About that time one fanatical landlord ended up in Canterbury gaol for six weeks. He had become so embroiled in the campaign run up to the late 1800 general election that he believed, perversely, that "The Cause" would be furthered if he dyed the village dogs in his party colours. His problem deepened when the dyed dogs died. He fled to Boulogen to escape their owners' wrath, but was arrested on his return. Today the building still boasts the original brewery windows.

Above photos by Paul Skelton.

Photo left shows the window from the outside, and on the right from the inside. Please note the image right has been flipped to allow easy reading of the words "COBB  & CO's MARGATE BEERS."

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 25 June 1870.

MINSTER. DESTRUCTIVE FIRE.

A destructive fire broke out on the grounds adjoining the "New Inn" in this place on Wednesday evening. There was great scarcity of water, and the fire, therefore, spread with considerable rapidity. The barn and stable (7 stalls), which had thatched roofs, were quite destroyed; the stable had only recently been erected. A small building adjoining the stable and close to the house, was speedily removed, and this precaution, in all probability, saved the house. The whole of the live stock was also saved. A row of smaller boxes in the Tea Gardens, and at the back of the stables were destroyed, and the flower beds much trampled down. The Ramsgate Fire Brigade, under Mr. James Hake, was the first upon the scene with their engine, which proved to be of little use, on account of the scarcity of water, though several attempts were made at neighbouring wells. But the men appeared to work with a will, buckets of water from pumps, Ac., passing rapidly. We must here mention the ancient Borough of Sandwich, for a fine body of men put in an appearance from that town, with their engine, under the command of Lieutenant G. Spain, and their foremen, Mr. G. Ralph. They arrived within thirty minutes after receiving their telegram, and what is more remarkable, this was the first time that they had been called to active duty. Great praise is due to them for their great exertions. The barn, stables, &c, were insured in the "Sun," the house, we understand, in the "Phoenix." The following gentlemen, and many of the labourers residing is the village, rendered great assistance:—Messrs. John Birch, sen. (agent of the "Sun") B. Bubb, Golder, Woottoo, Ferrier, &c. It is stated that the fire originated in water-closet, where some ashes from a pipe had fallen. As usual the furniture was removed from the house unnecessarily, and great damage resulted, though it is not surprising there should have been anxiety to save portions of the goods.

 

Thanet Advertiser, Saturday 4 December 1875.

Wanted, a respectable young person, as General Servant.

Apply to Mrs. Puckeridge, New Inn, Minster.

 

Thanet Advertiser, Friday 22 May 1936.

MINSTER HAS MORE LUCK.

Extensions until 11 p.m. on Whit-Saturday and 11:30 p.m. on Whit-Monday at the "Bell Inn," the "Freehold Inn," the "New Inn" and the "White Horse," Minster, and the "New Inn," Monkton, were granted by Ramsgate County magistrates on Tuesday.

 

New Inn  advert 1986

Above advert 1986.

 

LICENSEE LIST

BUDDEL Edward 1837-71+ (age 70 in 1871Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847

PUCKRIDGE Oswald 1874-75+

WOTTON Mary A E 1881+

SOMERFIELD/SOMMERFORD William 1890-99+ (age 30 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1899

FERRIER John Thomas 1901-07+

EASTON Joseph Henry 1913+

ATKINS William Richard 1918+

TAYLOR Walter F 1922+

FITCH John Fraser 1929-30+

FINCH Alfred 1930-Dec/1934 Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressKelly's 1934

JAMES William J 1936-39

WILLISTONE Frank B 1939+

WHITE James Alfred 1951-55+

PALMER Edward 1957+

BARBER Edward 1970-76

MONKHOUSE Joseph Ronald 1976-84

HAYES Michael 1984-90

???? Gabi, Bill, Nick, Jeff & Lynn April/2011+

DEAN Ciaran 2016+

http://pubshistory.com/NewInn.shtml

 

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

CensusCensus

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML