|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
The pub was built in 1861 as a tap house for estate workers and was originally known as the "Lions Head".
When Sir John Prestige acquired the estate, the name was changed to the Mermaid because a mermaid featured on Sir John's coat of arms.
The pub was extended in 1968.
While Jack Creed was licensee the beer was still drawn from the wood down in the cellar.
Renowned for its real ale, The Mermaid has appeared in the Campaign for Real Ale's (CAMRA's) Good Beer Guide for 18 successive years.
PEACOCK Mrs H to Sept/1946
SCOTT Douglas L Sept/1946+
CREED Jack early 60s to (Aldington)
ALDINGTON Tony to 1973
RELF Colin & Bunty to (Archer)
ARCHER Steve & Jackie 2008-13+
From the Dover Express
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-