Sort file:- Dover, December, 2023.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 10 December, 2023.


Earliest 1843

Lord Warden

Latest 1868

Snargate Street

Commercial Quay



Situated right opposite the Grand Shaft this one obviously supplied the military with their entertainment.

Ellender had his life made miserable by his wife in 1843 however, as shown from the passage below.

The title was reported on Commercial Quay in 1846-47 and so predates the "Lord Warden Hotel" in 1853 by 7 years. The latter never held a drinks licence anyway. 

The popular drink of the day was Sir John Barleycorn when Barzillia Birch served under this sign in Snargate Street in 1849.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 2 December, 1843.


"WHAT TWA FULES WE BE!" - Mrs. Ellender of the "Lord Warden" public-house, in Snargate-street, appeared upon a summons which she had taken out against her spouse, to shew cause why he should not be bound over to keep the peace. The squabble out of which this complaint arose appeared to have taken place about a fortnight since; and although these twain had been one upward of twenty years, and both of them certainly past the meridian of life, yet they were fools enough to cherish the "green-eyed monster" - mutual jealousy being the cause of all their dissensions. Ellender said he wished to make his wife comfortable, which she seemed determined not to be, and played the bench to bind him over. Their worships, however, recommended them to settle their business amicably; and if they could not live comfortably together, to separate in a friendly manner.


From the Kentish Gazette, 4 March 1845.


WOOD:- Feb 21, at Dover, Mrs. Elizabeth Wood, landlady of the Lord Warden Inn," Snargate Street, aged 42.


From the Kentish Gazette, 25 February 1845.


THE "LORD WARDEN INN," opposite the Military Shaft, Snargate-Street, DOVER, (a Free House).

Apply to W. M. Bushell, Estate Agent, Dover.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 10 January 1846.

CHALLANDS William – Dover Police – transfer of public house licence for the "Lord Warden"


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 13 March 1847

CHALLANDS, W. Landlord of the “Lord Warden” – charged with allowing parties to remain in tap until late hour. Fined 10s and 10s costs.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 September 1847.

CHALLANDS, Mr “Lord Warden” public house – notice of sale of household furniture and house to be let.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 13 March, 1847. Price 5d.


W. Challands, landlord of the “Lord Warden,” was charged with allowing parties to remain in the tap on Commercial Quay till a late hour, &c. The information was sustained by Mr. R. Knight, living next door, who said the neighbours were often disturbed till an early hour in the morning by the riot and dancing at the tap. Mr. Challands stated that he had under let the tap to a man named Smedley, and had used every exertion to repress the nuisance, without effect. He had consequently given Smedley notice to quit, if the disorderly conduct was continued. The Bench, under these circumstances, inflicted the mitigating penalty of 10s., and 10s. costs. The Magistrates commended Knight for bringing the case before them.


Dover Chronicles 13 March 1847.


William Challins, landlord of the "Lord Warden" Snargate Street, was summoned by Richard Knight, for permitting disorderly conduct to be carried on in the "Lord Warden Tap," Pent-side. Complainant stated that last Saturday night dancing was going on in the "Lord Warden Tap" after 12 o'clock, which was the case two nights every week; and great annoyance and disturbance to the neighbourhood was occasioned thereby.

Defendant pleaded guilty to the charge, but said he sub-letting the tap to another person, and consequently had not the control of the house, though he had tried all he could do to get his tenant to keep it orderly. If he did not keep it more orderly in future, he should put an end to his occupancy.

The Bench said, though defender did not keep the tap, yet the licensee was taken in his name, and it was he who was responsible for the management of the house. However, has the house under the immediate control of the defendant had an excellent reputation, and as he had promised to make his present subtenant leave the tap if he did not change his system, the Bench only fined him in the mitigating penalty of 10s., in addition to costs.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 10 April, 1847. Price 5d.


Mc'Geath, private 57th regiment, charged with being drunk, and assaulting Police-constable Dewer, who deposed that hearing a row at the “Lord Warden Tap,” he went there, and saw defendant threatening to strike the landlord, and on taking him into custody, he struck him (witness) a violent blow.

Fined 20s. including costs, and in default committed for fourteen days.


Dover Chronicles 24 July 1847.

Dover Petty Sessions. Thursday.

Mr. Challins, landlord of the "Lord Warden," Snargate Street, appeared against the man named May, for an assault committed upon him in his own house.

Find 15s. including costs.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 23 October, 1847. Price 5d.


William Anderson, gunner, Royal Artillery, aged 25, charged with stealing a silver watch, value 30s., the property of Henry Tievlane, landlord of the “Lord Warden Tap.” Mr. Lumsdame appeared to prosecute, and called Henry Tievlane, who deposed, that on the 15th of July last, prisoner, with some of his comrades was drinking in the house, and shortly after he left, the watch was missed from the shelf over the fire-place in the bar.

Matthew Waudby, landlord of the “Two Brothers,” deposed that on the evening of the same day, prisoner came to the bar and asked for a loan of 10s. on the watch, which he produced, saying, it being an old family relic, he would not part with it for any money, and it was not to be given up to any other person, and he would redeem it.
Prisoner in his defence, said he was drinking with his comrades, when one said he had better put the watch in his pocket, as he could then tell them when it was time to go home. Being of a frolicsome disposition when in liquor, he was foolish enough to do so, and after they left, thinking they wanted more beer, they went to the “Two Brothers,” and having no more money, he left the watch, intending to redeem it in the morning, and return it in the morning.

Guilty: Four months' imprisonment and hard labour.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 5 January, 1850. Price 5d


FRIDAY - Before the Mayor, and C. B. Wilkins, W. P. Elsted, and G. Graham Esqrs.

Barzillai Birch (Lord Warden), Thomas Hobday (Ancient Druids), and Stephen Minter (Royal Arms,) were each charged upon information with three several offences:- 1st for selling beer, 2nd for selling spirits, and, 3rd for selling tobacco, in booths upon a certain ground on which a fair was recently held without being licensed so to do. John Lewis, Esq. Collector of the license, attended to watch proceedings; and the prosecution was conducted by Mr. S. Chalk, the defendants being supported by Mr. Tapley. Birch was first arranged, on the charge of selling beer. Mr. Goodall, of the Excise, supported the information, and the evidence adduced being satisfactory to the Bench, defendant was convicted on this charge in the mitigating penalty of 5. The charge of selling spirits was then proffered against Birch. Mr. Tapley took an objection to the information, on the ground that the charge was not made either in the words or substance of the Act, and that the negative exceptions had not been distinctly enumerated. Several cases were cited in support of the objections; to which Mr. Chalk replied by adopting citation in support of the information. The Bench ultimately ruled that the objection was fatal, and the charge was quashed. The charge for selling tobacco being about to be proceeded with, Mr. Tapley stated that his client would admit the charge; that the other defendants admitted the charges against them, and the whole threw themselves upon the mercy of the court, and praying that the magistrates in addition to conviction in the mitigating penalty on all the offences, would recommend to the Board of Excise a further mitigation, so as to reduce the penalty to 6 upon each defendant, as had been suggested by the prosecution.

The Bench assented to the proposition, and judgement being taken on all the cases the defendants were severely fined in the mitigated penalty of 30, with the understanding that a recommendation would be forwarded for a further mitigation as suggested.



From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 13 April, 1850. Price 5d


Barzillia Birch appeared in answer to a summons charging him with assault on Edward Harnett, in the employ of Mr. Simmonds, eating-house keeper. From the evidence it appeared that on Friday, Birch had called to Harnett, was was passing the house, and requested him to tell his master to send a pound of beef to the "Lord Warden." In reply Harnett used some indecent language, and Birch soundly boxed his ears, which formed the assault complained of. From appearances we might have supposed the Bench would have considered the chastisement justifiable; but in what afterwards transpired, (shewing that an improper spirit of rivalry had existed between Birch and Simmonds, in detailing which the defendant made use of the most obscene language, which called forth strong remonstrance from the Bench,) the conduct of Birch was unfavourable to his cause, and he was fined 1s. and costs.



Evidently the license was suspended in 1853, when the licensee was summoned for the non payment of spirits.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 21 May, 1853. Price 5d.


Thomas Grant v. Barzillia Birch. - This was an action for the recovery of 4 3s. 0d. for spirits supplied. Defendant admitted the debt, but said that inability to get a license for his house had prevented his paying for the goods; he was trying to let the house, and should be able to pay the claim in 3 weeks. Common order, but not to be entered for 3 weeks unless suspicious circumstances warranted such a course.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 January, 1858. Price 5d.


William Taylor, Landlord of the "Lord Warden," Snargate Street, was brought up on a charge of threatening to murder his children and set fire to his house. From the statements made, it appears that when in liquor Taylor was at times of most ungovernable temper; and yesterday, while in one of those paroxysms, he conducted himself as described, and the police were called in, by whom he was removed to the station-house. the Bench considered the charge sufficiently proved to require Taylor to find sureties for his good behaviour during the next three months; and in default of his doing so, he was committed to prison.


South Eastern Gazette, 7 February, 1860.


On the 27th ult., in Snargate-street, Dover, Mr. William Taylor, landlord of the "Lord Warden Inn."


From the South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 19 April, 1864.


On Wednesday, Patrick McDonald, landlord of the "Lord Warden" public house, was charged with assaulting James Inskip, on the 6th instant. Mr. Minter appeared for the complainant, and Mr. Fox for the defendant. It appears that James Inskip, photographer, living at Charlton, went into the parlour of the "Lord Warden" public house, on the morning of the 6th inst., and whilst there he saw defendant turn a young man out and chase him down the street. When defendant came back he accused complainant of being a confederate, and threw him heavily on the pavement, which hurt him very much. A few witnesses were called, who proved that it was Inskip who assaulted defendant. The bench dismissed the case, upon which Mr. Fox applied for a formal certificate to that effect.


Dover Express 01 June 1866.


May 30. - Before Sir J. P. Wilde.

McDonald v McDonald.

In this case the wife petitioned for a dissolution of her marriage, on the ground of the cruelty and adultery of her husband.

Mr. Sergeant Perry and Mr. Searle were for the petitioner; there was no appearance for the respondent.

The petitioner was married to the respondent in September, 1861. She was at the time, and apparently is still, the landlady of the "Lord Warden Inn," Dover, having been previously married to Mr. Taylor, the landlord of that establishment. Soon after the marriage the respondent commenced to ill-treat and abuse his wife, striking her with his fists, and with such violence that she was often laid up for days. They had a concert-room in connection with the inn, and in 1864 respondent formed a criminal connection with a girl of the name of Rosette Harrison, a singer employed there, and with whom he went out to Australia in the ship Golden Age, in October, 1864. They went out together in that vessel as man and wife.

These facts having been proved, the Court pronounced a decree nisi, with costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 October, 1866. Price 1d.


James Chisholm, a private of the 70th Regiment, was charged on remand with stealing a coat, the property of Lieut. Howard, an officer of the same regiment.

Lieut. Pearson said the coat produced was the property of Lieut. Howard, who was too ill to be present. He borrowed the coat of Lieut. Howard and left it at Corporal Wright's quarters, at the Western Heights. He did not see it again till he saw it at the police-station.

Corporal Alexander Wright said the prisoner had acted as his servant. He remembered seeing the coat produced at his quarters, where it was left by Lieut. Pearson. The prisoner, as his servant, had access to his rooms at all times. There were two keys to the rooms. He (witness) kept one, and the prisoner kept the other.

The prisoner, on being asked if he had any questions to put to Captain Wright, desired that the captain might be questioned as to his (prisoner's) character.

Captain Wright said he had found him a good servant, and had never known him to be guilty of any act of dishonesty before. The prisoner also bore a good character as a soldier.

The evidence previously adduced went to show that the prisoner sold the coat to John Albert Taylor, son of the landlady of the "Lord Warden Inn," for the sum of 12s. The value of the coat was considered to be 1. Since the prisoner had been in custody he had admitted his guilt.

John Bailey examined: I am a police-sergeant in the Dover force. In consequence of information I received I went to the "Lord Warden," in Snargate Street, on Friday, October 5th, at about half-past nine, and there saw the witness Taylor, and received from him the coat produced. I then proceeded to the Western Heights, accompanied by the witness Taylor. I found the prisoner under arrest, and Taylor said in prisoner's presence that he (prisoner) was the man from whom he had bought the coat. Prisoner made no answer then, neither when he was handed to the police on Sunday, the 7th. The coat is worth about 1.

The prisoner now pleaded guilty to the charge.

Captain Wright said he hoped the Bench would deal as leniently with the prisoner as possible.

The Magistrates, taking into consideration the good character given to the prisoner and Captain Wright's recommendation, sentenced him the mitigate punishment of one month's imprisonment, with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 25 January, 1867.


Elizabeth Broadley, the wife of Mr. Thomas Broadley, of Hubert Terrace, upon whose application the Magistrates had on the previous day issued a warrant for the prisoner's apprehension, was placed at the bar in custody of Police-constable Geddes, and called upon to show cause why she should not be bound over to keep the peace towards her husband, who, as he had alleged, went in bodily fear of her.

Mr. Broadley was not in attendance on the case being called on.

The police, in reply to the Magistrates, said they did not know where to find Mr. Broadley. He was not staying in his own house, and from what they had heard they believed he was lodging at the "Lord Warden," a public-house opposite the Grand Shaft.

The Mayor said, that Mr. Broadley's solicitor (Mr. Elwin) had better be communicated with, as he might know where to find his client, and the case had better stand by for half-an-hour.

This was done; and at the end of the time stated Mrs. Broadley was again placed at the bar. There was still no one in attendance to press any charge against her, and the Magistrates therefore discharged her from custody.

Just as she had quitted the dock Mr. Elwin walked into the Court, and informed the Magistrates that sufficient time had not been allowed to find Mr. Broadley.

 The Mayor informed him that Mrs. Broadley had been discharged from custody. It was Mr. Broadley's duty, he had intended to prefer a charge against his wife, to be in attendance, as he was informed, on the previous day, that the warrant would be returnable that (Saturday) morning.

Mr. Elwin said he did not understand this.

The Mayor said it was so; and as Mr. Broadley was not in attendance they had discharged his wife.

Mr. Elwin: Then Mr. Broadley, if he desires, must apply for a fresh warrant.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 June, 1868.


Walter James Birley, landlord of the "Lord Warden" public-house, Snargate Street, was summoned for having unlawfully and knowingly suffered disorderly persons to assemble in his house, contrary to the terms of his license.

Mr. Fox appeared for the defendant, who pleaded not guilty to the information.

At the request of Mr. Fox, the witnesses were ordered out of Court.

Sergeant Stevens said he visited the "Lord Warden" public-house on the evening of the 10th inst., about ten o'clock. He was accompanied by police-constable Bowles and Swaine. On entering the house he proceeded to a concert-room situated at the back part of it, where he saw nine women seven of whom he knew to be common prostitutes. There were almost fifteen men in the room, soldiers and civilians. There was music and dancing. He called the landlord aside, and asked hi if he was aware of the character of some of the women in the concert-rooms. He said he was not, when witness informed him that he had at least seven prostitutes there, remarking at the same time that the assemble of such persons in his house was forbidden by his license. The defendant rejoined that there were plenty of other houses in town in which women of that class were allowed to assemble. Witness remarked that a landlord was allowed to supply such persons with refreshment, but was forbidden to harbour them in the house. The landlord made no attempt to remove the women, and witness then left the house. He again visited it, accompanied by the same constables as before, shortly after eleven o'clock, and he again found seven prostitutes in the same room, six out of the seven being the same he had seen upon his first visit. He again drew the landlord's attention to the fact, and he then said that if witness would point out the prostitutes to him he would have them removed. Witness replied that he could not possibly make any mistake, as all the women then in the room were of improper character. Two or three of the women left while witness was in the house, but the others remained, and the music and dancing were still going on.

By Mr. Fox: The parties were partaking of refreshment on both occasions. The landlord did not ask me to point the women out on the first visit; not till the second. The landlord's father was present on both occasions, but he did not ask me to point them out. It is possible that either the father or the son remarked that they were strangers in Dover, and did not know people.

Mr. Fox: I believe you were good enough to expound the law to them, and to tell them what was lawful and what was unlawful?

Witness: I told them what I have already stated, that they were permitted to serve women of this class, but not to harbour them in the house.

Mr. Fox: Was anything said about other houses?

Witness: Yes, the landlord and his father both said there were plenty of other houses in the town where prostitutes might be found.

Mr. Fox: I suppose you don't know anything about them?

Witness: I visited this house in consequence of complaints.

Mr. Fox: be good enough to tell me by whom the complaints were made?

Witness: I do not think I can.

Mr. Fox: You refuse?

Witness; Yes.

Mr. Fox: Then I must ask the Magistrates whether you are not bound to answer the question. If you do not answer it, I must put my own construction on your silence.

The Magistrates, after a short consultation, said they did not think the witness was bound to answer the question put by Mr. Fox.

Mr. Fox said he was bound to submit to the decision of the Bench, but he considered the circumstances a very unusual one. He would not ask, then, who had made the complaint, but he thought he might venture to enquire if the person lived within a hundred yards of the defendant's house.

The witness said he had received complaints from more than one person.

Cross-examination continued: I have no reason to believe that women of improper character are kept in the house. The landlord's father told me that only persons who conducted themselves properly were allowed to remain in the house, and that he had had occasion to turn out some who had misconducted themselves. Some of the women live in a brothel next to the "Lord Warden," on the Commercial Quay side, and the keeper of the brothel was the fiddler on this occasion. I saw no improper conduct on the part of any person present, and there is no complaint on that score. The present defendant has held the license about three months.

By the Bench: My attention has been directed to the "Lord Warden" previously on account of disorderly conduct.

The evidence of Swain and Bowley was corroborative of Sergeant Stevens's in all important particulars. Both the constables were cross-examined at great length by Mr. Fox, but no different complexion was put upon the more material facts.

Mr. Fox then addressed the Bench for the defendant, observing that he trusted to prove to the Bench that there was considerable doubt whether the defendant in this case had fallen within the terms of the information. If he should succeed in doing so he had no doubt the Magistrates would consider the defendant entitled to the benefit of such doubt. He should show that when the police visited the house on the first occasion the father of the defendant expressed his regret that any persons of doubtful character should be found in the house, at the same time observing that both he and his son were strangers to the town, and therefore were unable to distinguish persons of indifferent character. The defendant's mouth was closed, but his father would declare that the women went away, and although some of them were found in the house upon the second visit of the police, there was no evidence to show that they did not go away, and re-enter without the knowledge of the defendant. But whether the Bench should be satisfied that they went away, or not, was to certain extent immaterial, for the defendant was charged with knowingly allowing these persons to assemble. Of course the landlord was bound to serve whatever customers might present themselves, and they were entitled to claim a reasonable period in which to consume their refreshment, and the Bench therefore in dealing with such a case would give a fair construction to the term "assemble." He should submit that an hour was not an unreasonable time for persons to remain in a house of public resort for purposes of refreshment; and all that the police relied upon was the fact of the persons being there. There was no complaint of improper behaviour, nor was there any allegations that the house itself was used for any disreputable purposes. The truth was that Mr. Birley had a cantankerous neighbour who disapproved of the dancing, and who had complained to the police on this ground and not at all in the interests of morality. But dancing was no offence, and the defendant was not summoned for permitting this pastime to take place. He was summoned because females of indifferent character were found taking refreshment in his house. But if this was the only point of complaint, how many other houses might be made the subjects of an information? He asked the Bench to deal with this case broadly, and to gibe the defendant the benefit to which he was entitled from the honest desire he had displayed to carry out the terms of his license.

Mr. Fox then called Joseph Henry Birley, father of the defendant, who said he was present when the police came in on the night in question. What had been called a concert-room was in reality a bar entered from the Commercial Quay side of the house. On coming in at the Snargate Street entrance the police went into two or three rooms, but found no one in them, and they then proceeded to No. 2 bar, where there were several women present. Stevens said seven of them were prostituted, and on witness telling him that he and his son were strangers, and on requesting him to point them out, Stevens refused.  Ten women were then assembled, and he (witness) was satisfied that five out of the ten were respectable. The women left shortly after the police quitted the house, and if they were found there afterwards they must have come in again.

before leaving the witness-box, the witness put in some certificates to character in respect both to himself and his son.

The Magistrates said they believed the defendant was known to be of good character before taking the "Lord Warden," and but for his circumstances the Bench would have dealt with the case in a very different manner to that which they proposed to adopt. The Magistrates had no doubt that the license had been infringed, but it appeared to them that the defendant had unknowingly fallen into error, and he would therefore be dealt with leniently. He would be fined in the mitigating penalty of 10s., and the costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 September, 1868.



The license of the "Lord Warden" public-house, in Snargate Street, was also suspended, this house having also been made the subject of complaint by the inhabitants of the locality.

It was stated on behalf of the owner of the house (Mr. Evenden) that a new tenant had been found.

The Mayor said that the Magistrates had resolved not to consider the renewal of this license until they sat at Broadstairs. In the meantime Mr. Evenden might communicate the name of the proposed landlord to the Superintendent of Police with a view to ascertaining if there was any objection to him.



I do not believe that the license ever was renewed as I haven't come across this pub after 1868.




WOOD Elizabeth to 21/Feb/1845 dec'd age 42

CHALLANDS/CHALLINS William 10/Jan/1846-47

SMEDLEY March/1847

BIRCH Barzillia 1849-53+

TAYLOR William 1857-27/Jan/60 dec'd

McDONALD John Patrick 1862-65

McDONALD Mrs 1866+

AMOS Henry 1867

BIRLEY Walter James Mar/1868-Jun/68+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-