|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
|Isle of Cyprus||
78 The Bayle
Formerly the "Druid's Arms" this house was rebuilt in 1879 and renamed by 1881.
Described as a small bay-windowed tavern, this was situated opposite the Herald newspaper offices and frequented by their staff.
1913 saw the end of this as a public house when the justices refused the renew the licence and according to C. H. Bishop, the premises became a religious bookshop.
LYNE Richard 1877-81
LYNE Mrs Matilda 1881-88
PRICE Edwin 1888-92
MEPHAM Lucien 1892-95
PREECE George 1895-96
SMITH Alfred 1896-97
AVERRE Alfred 1897
GRIST Charles Giles1897-1900
CLAYSON Frank 1900-02
HALFORD William 1902-06
TAYLOR William E 1906-13
From the Post Office Directory 1882
From the Kelly's Directory 1899
From the Post Office Directory 1903
From the Post Office Directory 1913
From More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-