Sort file:- Sandgate, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.


Earliest 1858

Inkerman Arms

Latest 1858

(Name to)

High Street



Earliest mention of this house to date is from Kelly's directory mentioning that George Easton being landlord of the "Inkerman Arms" in 1858. However, his wife is also mentioned as being a boarding-house keeper as early as 1855, but no mention of a name to the building given then.

Easton was still the licensee in 1860, but the house was referred to as the "Prince of Wales" by 1863 and Easton was still there.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 25 July 1863.


Henry Liddle, a soldier, was brought up in custody charged with assaulting Margaret Widgen, at Sandgate, on the 14th inst.

The complainant deposed that she lived at the "Inkerman Arms" beerhouse. Prisoner was them drinking with another man. They were in a room upstairs and she went down stairs, and the prisoner, as she afterwards learnt, called to her to fetch him some beer, but she did not understand what he said, as she was too far downstairs and she was not quite sober. On her return to the room prisoner met her at the door and kicked her in the mouth, knocking her downstairs. He did not say anything to her before he did so.

J. W. Howard. Esq., surgeon, stated he was called to attend complainant. He found she had a very severe wound in her face, and an extensive bruise over the whole of one side of it.

The prisoner was committed to the House of Correction at St. Augustine's for one calendar month with hard labour.


Dover Express 27 August 1864.


Timothy Sullivan, a repulsive-looking fellow, was brought up in custody on remand, before T Denny, Esq., at Hythe, on Saturday, having committed a dastardly assault on a female with whom he had been cohabiting. At the previous examination Sarah Ann Allard said she was living at the "lnkerman Arms," beerhouse, Sandgate, and had known the prisoner some time. He had been living with a female named Elizabeth Pentle, at the "Inkerman Arms," for about three months. On Saturday night last the prisoner went out and did not return; and on Monday morning a little before ten o'clock witness, accompanied by Elizabeth Pentle, went to the "True Briton" beerhouse, where they found him in the bar, lying on a form, asleep. Pentle woke him, and a few words passed between them and he struck her. She struck him again and they both fell on the ground. Witness with the prisoner and Pentle, afterwards left the "True Briton" and returned to the "Inkerman Arms." After the prisoner had sat down a few minutes he rushed over to Pentle, who was sitting at the other and of the room, and knocked her down. He then kicked her a number of times on the head with all his force. She cried for mercy, and he then dragged her by the hair of her head from the fire-place to the door, and stamped twice on her head with the heel of his boot. She then became insensible, her head being covered with wounds. There was no one else in the room. Owing to the precarious state of the injured female she was unable to be present. On Saturday the prosecutrix attended and corroborated the evidence of Sarah Ann Allard. The prisoner asserted that when he was at the "True Briton" beerhouse asleep the prosecutrix struck him with a quart pot on the head, but this she denied.

He was again remanded till Thursday.


Kentish Gazette 27 September 1864.

County Petty Sessions.

Applications for a spirit license was made by Mr. Easton, of the "Inkerman Arms," Sandgate, but refused.




EASTON George 1858-64+ Next pub licensee had (age 41 in 1861Census)


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-