Page Updated:- Sunday, 11 June, 2023.


Earliest 1763


Closed 1986+

49 High Street



George Inn

Above postcard, circa 1910. Showing the original building. Kindly sent by Ivan Rossiter.

George 1923

Above photo circa 1923, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

George 1957

Above postcard circa 1957, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

49 High Street

49 High Street, circa 2014.

Ivan Rossiter has kindly pointed me in the right direction and the above image from Google May 2014, shows the location of the original "George Inn," before the "Sir John Falstaff" was renamed.

George sign 1986

George sign August 1986.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis


The original pub was on the south side of the High Street (A2).

The owners, Medway brewers Style and Winch, also owned the "Falstaff" across the road and a few yards west. When the "George" closed in 1912, the "Falstaff" was renamed the "George." The old "George" was demolished in about 2010 years ago and replaced by a residential building shown in the picture fro Google May 2014.

Meanwhile the 'new' "George" [built 1603] closed in 1997 and is now two private houses. It was seriously damaged by fire on Feb 14, 1998, while being converted. Shown as picture titled 49 High Street 2014.


The High Street, Newington, featuring the "Sir John Falstaff" pub, which villagers will remember as being the "George." First built in 1603, the building acquired its first alehouse license in 1763 and was then known as the "Sir John Falstaff." In 1912 the innkeeper of the "George" that stood across the road from the "Sir John Falstaff," sounded the alarm that his inn was on fire. Such was the damage to the building he was forced to cease trading. The owners of the inn at that time were the brewers, Style and Winch, who also owned the "Falstaff," so they sold the site of the old "George" and renamed the "Falstaff" the "George." Since being an inn, the old "George" has been a basket maker's workshop, a fire station, a wartime restaurant for the troops and today (2014) is an engraver's workshop.


Faversham News, Saturday 24 November 1883.


Mr. Superintendent Mayne stated that the applicant for the licence of the "George," at Newington, Mr. Alexander, had been convicted of being drunk and disorderly on licensed premises.

Mr. Locke intimated that he knew the man, and did not think that would prevent his taking the licence.


From the!troubled-public-house


For decades leading up to 1900, a strange story was told by many local folk of the "George Inn" in Newington, Kent. It has been passed down through generations and is still witnessed by few to this day. This quiet village lies in the Swale between Sittingbourne and Chatham. Legend has it that a ghost haunts this pub in the High Street. It is thought by many to be the ghost of Charles Wilmot, the 3rd Earl ff Rochester (of the late 1600's) and was also seen by the former George Publican, William Busbridge in the late 1890's. A nearby Nunnery complained that Wilmot had seduced one of the Nuns after she returned troubled and upset. He was caught soon after and buried alive in the back garden of the pub as a punishment for his actions. This supernatural figure has been smashing glasses, scattering objects around the bar and frightening customers in Newington's ancient public house. One of the latest reports came in the Daily Mail in October 1982 when it reported the the ghost was again active.


There is also a "Newington near Hythe."  Your help is appreciated.


The pub is now closed and is a residential house called "George House".



PETTS William 1828-39+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34

STEVENS Thomas 1840+

WOOD George 1847-55+

WILLIAMS Henry 1861+ (age 33 in 1861Census)

CLARKE Charles 1870-Nov/71 East Kent Gazette

ALLSWORTH William Henry Nov/1871-82+ East Kent Gazette

ALEXANDER Mr Nov/1883+

BUSBRIDGE William 1891-1903+ (widower age 46 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1903

HARRIS Jonathan William Manning to Oct/1913 East Kent Gazette

FOZARD Charles Oct/1913+ East Kent Gazette

CHILVERS James W 1918-22+

BURGESS Isaac W H 1934+

SELF Horace Alfred 1938+


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

East Kent GazetteEast Kent Gazette

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-