Sort file:- Folkestone, September, 2022.

Page Updated:- Monday, 26 September, 2022.


Earliest 1857

Duke of Cambridge

Latest 1869

Cheriton High Street



Jan Pedensen mentions a "Duke of Cambridge" somewhere along the Cheriton High Street and existing between circa 1857 and 1869.


Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 15 January 1867.

County Petty Sessions.

These sessions were held on Thursday before the Rev. Edwin Biron, Thomas Denny, Esq., and Capt. Kirkpatrick.

Henry Jeffrey, of Folkestone, labourer, was charged with assaulting and beating Edwin Thomas, at Cheriton on 23rd December last.

Complainant said he lived at Newington, and on the night of 23rd December, about 11:05, he called in at the "Duke of Cambridge" beer house, Cheriton. He asked for a pint of ale. The landlord said it was nearly time to close, but he would draw him a pint as he came from Folkestone. The defendant, who was standing in the bar, struck another young man named Brooks, when complainant told him not to make a row. Defendant then struck at him, knocking a pipe out of his mouth. Complainant stepped back and defendant then knocked him out of the door into the road, and again struck him several times.

Elizabeth Swain Brooks corroborated the statement of complainant.

John Brooks, husband of the last witness, saw blows struck by defendant when complainant was in the road.

For the defence, defendant called John Wilson, of Cheriton, whose statement was, as a matter of course, quite the contrary to what had previously been stated. He did not see any blows struck.

John Hood, another witness, considered that complainant was in the the aggressor, as he saw him throw defendant into the road. It appeared that there had been two previous convictions against the defendant, and the Bench fined him 5s., and 16s. costs; in default 21 days' imprisonment with hard labour.

Allowed a week for payment.


Southeastern Gazette 9 August 1869.

Hythe Police Court.

John Marks, a private in the 10th Foot, was charged, on Monday, before Thomas Denne, Esq., with stealing a silver watch, the property of James Griffin, another private in the same regiment.

James Griffin said he was a private in the 10th Regiment, stationed at Shorncliffe Camp, and the prisoner was in the same regiment as himself. On the 28th July last witness placed a small Geneva watch in his trousers, and rolled them up with a shirt, placing them on a shelf in his hut. The watch produced was the one he put there. He last saw it about 12 o’clock at noon on Wednesday, the 28th July, and missed it at half-past nine in the evening of the same day. The value of the watch was 30s.

William Stevenson, a fly-driver living at Bayle Street, Folkestone, said that he was at the Duke of Cambridge, in Cheriton Street, last Wednesday, about a quarter before six o’clock in the evening. He saw the prisoner there, and heard him ask the landlord to let him have a pot of beer on the watch. The landlord would not do so, and the prisoner then asked witness if he would buy it. Witness at first refused, but ultimately bought it for 4s. Witness afterwards gave the watch up to P.S. Marsh.

Sergeant Richard Marsh, K.C.C., said that he took the prisoner into custody on Saturday last, and at the time charged him with stealing a watch the property of Private Griffin. The prisoner said, “I was drunk, or I should not have taken it.” Prisoner also said that he had given the watch to a man at the Duke of Cambridge for 4s. Witness afterwards received the watch from the witness Stevenson.

The prisoner was remanded to the Petty Sessions on Thursday, when he was again brought up, and sentenced to two months’ hard labour.





If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-



LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room