|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Barry Smith and Paul Skelton|
A "Cock Victualling House" in Biggin Street in 1545, was kept by Thomas Jaxon and offered 9 beds.
The Strond Street pub was built on reclaimed land and another inn, possibly the same, was established in the pier district during the reign of James 1st. (1603-25).
A William and Alice Wellard owned the "Cock Brewhouse" and the "Cock Inn", which in 1650 stood in Strond Street where later Trinity Church was erected. Both establishments seem to have prospered and the pub issued its own copper tokens of which there are some still existing, having in the centre a rose, and round the rose is "Will Wellard at"; and on the back, "W.W.A., The Cock Inn, Dover." Both buildings were taken down in 1835 when the site sold for £1,000 and a church took their place. That was not in use during world war two and it made way for dockside improvements in 1949.
JAXON Thomas 1545
WELLARD William and Alice 1650 (Cock Brewhouse)
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-
LINK to www.DeadPubs.co.uk