Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.



Gillow and Wareham Brewery




Brewing and supplying beer in the area prior to 1872 when they dissolved the business partnership. I believe they were brewing for over 19 years, making their start around about 1852.


From the London Gazette, 28 May, 1867.

Thomas Frisby, of Strand Street, sandwich, in the County of Kent, formerly Clerk to Messrs. Gillow and Wareham, aforesaid, Brewers, and then out of employ, and now carrying on the trade or business of Grocer, having been adjudged bankrupt under a Petition for adjudication of bankruptcy, filed in the County Court of Kent at Deal, holden at Sandwich, on the 21st day of May, 1867, is hereby required to surrender himself to Thomas Cave Hall, Esq., the Registra of the said Court, at the first meeting of creditors to be held before the said Registrar, on the 11th day of June next, at half-past eleven of the clock in the afternoon precisely, at the said Court, at the County Court Office, Sandwich. Thomas Cave Hall Esq., of Deal, is the Official Assignee, and Joseph Nookes Mourilyan, Esq., junior, of Sandwich, is the Solicitor acting in the bankruptcy.


From the Sydney Morning Herald, 7 September, 1868.


On July 6, a young man named Thomas Bridges Gillow, 18 years of age, respectably connected, of Green Street, near Faversham, was batting against the Borden Club, at Borden, a village near Sittingbourne, when he was killed by the ball hitting him hard under the left ear. It appears that about half-past 1 the Green Street Club had gone in, and Gillow had made a very fine cut at the ball, when the bowler threw again, and the ball bounded from the ground. Mr. Gillow turnesd on one side to escape the effect of the rebound, when the ball struck him on the jugular vein, and killed him at once. he was seen to fall and the game was stopped. Information being immediately sent to Sittingbourne, medical assistance was obtained, but unhappily the young man was found to be quite dead. Mr. Gillow was a nephew of Captain Gillow, of the firm of extensive brewers at Sandwich.


From the London Gazette, 18 May, 1875.

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership between us the undersigned, William Gillow and John Wareham, in the trade or business of Brewers and Maltsters, at Sandwich, in the county of Kent, under the firm of Gillow and Wareham, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to and owing by the said firm will be received and paid by the said William Gillow.

Witness our hands this 30th day of March, 1872.

William Gillow.

John Wareham.


From the Marlborough Express, 4 March, 1912.


Death has claimed another of our old identities. The latest to journey to the unknown bourne was Mr. William Fryer, senr., who passed peacefully away at the residence of his son, Mr. William Fryer, junr., in Percy Street yesterday afternoon, at the advanced age of 88 years. Thus an interesting career was brought to a close.

The late Mr. Fryer, who was born at Ash, East Kent, in 1823, came of a good old stock, his father being a Kentish shepherd, but died early in life; but his mother lived to a ripe old age .Mr. Fryer's youth, and for that matter a greater period of his life, was spent in Kent, following the occupation of gardener and coachman to several distinguished families in the country. In his pursuit he was in the employ of Captain Gillow, who was the co-partner of Gillow and Wareham, the famous Kentish brewers, for over 19 years, while he served in the employ of other notables for long periods. Many an interesting yarn could Mr. Fryer tell of his experiences as a gentleman's private postilion and coachman, yarns which were interspersed with a characteristic degree of humour.

At the age of 51 years, Mr. Fryer, accompanied by his wife and family, left England in the emigrant ship Garnatic, and after a lengthy voyage arrived in Picton, then a small settlement, in 1875. From Picton he went to Blenheim, where he had remained, following his occupation of gardener, until the last. A successful business was built up by him, and he established a pretty little home for himself and family. Mr. Fryer was the acme of energy, and right up till the beginning of this year he could do a good day's work.

On January 6th, an internal complaint laid Mr. Fryer aside, and as his condition became worse, he was removed to the Hospital, where he remained a fortnight, finally returning home where he remained till his death.

Considering his extreme age the deceased gentleman was always bright and cheery, and his good-natured disposition had endeared him to many. Time had not impaired any of his faculties, except that he suffered from deafness, which resulted from exposure in all weathers during his coaching days.

A family of four children, including Messrs. W. Fryer and J. Fryer (both of Blenheim) and Mrs. Ray, wife of Senator Ray of Glenori, New South Wales, and Mrs. Brewer, Dannevirke, mourn the loss or a kind and loving father. Mr. Fryer was predeceased by his wife 14 years ago, and by one daughter, Mrs. Oliver. There are also a large number of grand-children and several great grand-children.



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-