DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

Published 21 December 2000

 

 

1900

Hopes for more sailings of steamers from port.

| Qf\r\THERE were hopes of further ferry J.7v/vJ business at Folkestone, at the expense of Dover, after the French decided, as an experiment, to send the steamer Pas de Calais over from Dover because of the difficulty in berthing at the Admiralty Pier in bad weather. (This was before the building of the Admiralty’s enclosed harbour at Dover.) After the testing of moorings the steamer Le Nord was then sent direct from Calais to Folkestone with the Continental malls. After these had been discharged the Boulogne steamer arrived and then the turbine steamer: Empress with the Brussels mails. Seasonal goods traffic from Flushing also augmented the work handled at the port. As the year was drawing to a close the editor of the Herald called for a united effort In the town to “to mark the departure of the ‘Old Century’,” suggesting a big collection to boost funds of the Victoria Hospital and for a commemorative plaque on the building. Salvation Army founder General Booth visited the town to speak In Congregational Churches at Radnor Park and Tontine Street. People flocked to the meetings to see and listen to the great man.

 

1925

'Health’ chalet on the Leas sparks a storm of protest.

f Q/jp WITH, apparently little thought to the fact X9iO they were setting a precedent, the Council approved temporary siting of a chalet on the famous Leas promenade for a well-to-do woman, Lady Sybil Middleton, sister of Earl Grey, her doctor having said she would benefit from a winter spent in the bracing air of Folkestone. The result was a storm of protests, partly because it obstructed a public right of way along the cliff-top and because of the “unfair privilege” she was gaining. The chalet was soon daubed with the words: “A violation of public rights; put it over the cliffs men!” And someone actually tried to move the chalet while Lady Middleton was inside. Quickly responding to protests, her husband, Lambert Middleton, promptly had the shelter removed. Folkestone was gratified to hear that at least two other local authorities were interested in building similar Zig-Zag path attractions to its own. Blackpool was about to embark on the construction of a an artificial Zig-Zag with white cliffs made of Portland sand and cement northwards from the old Glynn inn, famous for its smuggling associations. And Southend Council had recently sent a deputation to Folkestone to inspect the famous Zig-Zag path and caves, which were also created out of simulated stone. Our writer Felix reported that they had been very impressed.


 

1950

New plans to improve the busy coast road to West.

tf Q7 C THERE was a new oil slick scare, with fears JL71 O for the coastline from Folkestone to the East Goodwin lightship, but then freshening winds swept it out to sea again. A new route was being investigated forthe A259 main coastal road, with the aim: of bypassing the built-up areas of Folkestone and Hythe and, perhaps, linking up with the M20. It was all part of a review of the route from Dover to Brighton. Strange lights, low over the Straits, were said to be due to unusual ‘shooting star’ activity. The Herald told of a hospital transport service, manned by volunteers, which was to be introduced because the East Kent Road Car Co was suspending services on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and it was hoped, subject to volunteer drivers coming forward, to continue the service aimed primarily for the elderly and physically handicapped wishing to visit patients. Twenty-five years ago a commemorative there-and-back flight took place from Lydd Airport by a historic DC3 aircraft, Yankee Zulu, a survivor of the Arnhem operation in the Second World War. Owned by Skyways Cargo Airline, at Lydd, it flew to Antwerp with a special cargo of valuable books about the Douglas Dakota which were afterwards auctioned on behalf of funds of the RAF Museum at Hendon. In 1975 it was estimated 2,700 of these aircraft were still operational. Skyways operated seven of them.

1975

‘PLUTO’ pipeline garden scheme for Folkestone.

1 QCn4 SUGGESTION Folkestone should ^*7 Ov become a ‘dormitory’ town for overseas visitors to the Festival of Britain in 1951 was welcomed by the Chamber of Trade and the Council. The plan was explained by Mr Parry Billings, an executive officer for the Festival, who said he would put the idea to the British Travel and Holiday Association. Pictured in the Herald was Charles Bataille, of Radnor Park Road, who was responsible for the movement by train of thousands of Allied and British troops and thousands of tons of munitions during two World Wars. He was retiring after 45 years on British Railways. A tentative scheme to set up a Pluto Pipeline memorial garden in Folkestone was briefly debated by town councillors. The idea came from Londoner Capt JF Hutchings. It was to commemorate the “ready cooperation" of local people in the scheme for the unique fuel pipeline to Normandy while he commanded ships in the Channel during 1944-45^ Marsh councillors were considering proposals which would mean the opening of the first public house in St Mary's Bay. The plan was to upgrade the existing Levin Club. A bright red fish with three barbels caught in a local sea angling contest stumped organisers. It proved to be a ‘Whistler’ - or three-bearded rockling.

If anyone should have any a better picture than any on this page, or think I should add one they have, please email me at the following address:-

LAST PAGE Valid CSS MENU PAGE Valid XTHML NEXT PAGE