Sort file:- Ramsgate, August, 2023.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 01 August, 2023.


Earliest 1853-

Cherry Tree

Latest 1853+



Only one instance of this found to date, and I don't think it's being confused for the "Cherry Orchard."


Southeastern Gazette, 8 March 1853.

RAMSGATE. Sudden Death.

We have to record this week the very sudden death of Mr. Thomas Young, of our town, surgeon, under very melancholy circumstances. Mr. Young was about to attend the wife of Mr. Monk, residing at the top of the footpath leading from Ramsgate to St. Lawrence, Monk had been down to tell him that he was wanted, and he started out to go up, and was met by a Mr. Bailey, a twine spinner, and another person, who passed him not far from where he was going, shortly after twelve o’clock, and bid him "good night," but on second thoughts turned round and offered to accompany him. He however, declined, thanking them, and said he was not at all afraid. He had not proceeded far before the hand of death overtook him. Monk, finding he did not come, went down the back way to ascertain the reason. In the meantime a labouring man named Larkins, who had risen early (this was about three o'clock in the morning), to proceed to his work, found Mr. Young lying near Mr. Ashenden’s garden, in the turning out of the St. Lawrence-road. Larkins immediately hastened to his brother’s living near and called him to assist, and by the time they had got there Monk had arrived at the spot, and they found it was Mr. Young. On lifting him up there was an appearance of vomiting, and also some blood upon the unfortunate gentleman’s forehead. They then called up the landlord of the "Cherry Tree," to which they removed the body, in which life was quite extinct. Monk proceeded to the town again, and gave the intelligence to the assistant and son who hastened to St. Lawrence, and Mr. Curling, surgeon, was soon there, but the unfortunate gentleman was beyond human aid, although, had there been some one in his company at the time, there might have been hopes for him. An inquest was held at the "Cherry Tree," before T. T. Delasaux, Esq., coroner, and a respectable jury, on Wednesday last, when a verdict of "Died from natural causes" was returned.

The funeral took place on Sunday last, in the Ebenezer Cemetery, his remains being followed to the grave by a great number of persons and the Sunday school teachers of the Independent chapel. We can truly say that great regret is felt by the inhabitants in general that so sudden a termination has been made to so useful a career as deceased's was. He was kind and affable, and his loss will be great among the poorer class. The various surgeons have kindly offered their services to the widow, until arrangements can be made for conducting the business.





If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-