Sort file:- Tonbridge, November, 2023.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 30 November, 2023.


Earliest 1839-

George Inn

Latest 1861+

Dry Hill



Only mention to date for this has been in the Census's when both the licensees were identified as Victuallers.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Tuesday 22 January 1839.

Tonbridge Wells.

At the magistrates' regular sittings, last week, there was no business of public importance. Ann King was committed for trial charged with stealing a cloak and sheet, from the "Georg Inn," at Tonbridge.


Southeastern Gazette, 30 August 1853.

(I believe that this one refers to Tonbridge and not Tunbridge Wells, as there is references to Cold Harbour Lane and Hilden, both of which are near Tonbridge. Paul Skelton.)

TUNBRIDGE. On Thursday William Hayes was brought up on remand before H. T. Moore, Esq., charged with cutting and wounding George Gainsford, whose evidence was taken by the magistrate and clerk at prosecutor’s house, he being too ill to be removed.

George Gainsford deposed that he was a labourer at Hilden near Tunbridge. On Saturday night, August 13th, he was at the "George Inn," at Tunbridge, with his brother. He left between eleven and twelve at night, and met prisoner at the door of the "George." They walked together towards home, when they began to wrangle. Hayes looked back towards Tunbridge, and called "Will," as if some person was following. He then turned back towards Tunbridge and prosecutor ran towards home. Prisoner overtook prosecutor near Mr. White’s on the Hilden-road, about a mile from Tunbridge. They both wrangled again till they came to Cold Harbour gate, and then they agreed to fight, and prosecutor put his basket down and hit prisoner on the forehead with the back of his hand. Prisoner then chopped down at prosecutor's hand with his reaping hook; he hit his shoulder, and cut his frock; he then struck at prosecutor a second time with the hook, and cut him on the hand. Prosecutor said "Oh, Will, you have done for me now; you have nearly cut my arm off; I shall not live till morning" when he replied, "A good job too, you ----"

Prisoner started off and left him, and he saw him no more. Prosecutor ran a little way and then dropped down on the footpath, where he lay for some hours until the mail cart came along. Had had no quarrel with him before last night. They were not drunk.

Cross-examined by prisoner:— Did you not knock me down in the road?

I did not.

John Henry Walker, surgeon, had attended Gainsford, his hand was seriously injured from a cut, and he might possibly lose it. Considered his life not out of danger.

Thoman Stone deposed that he was a labourer at Tunbridge. On Saturday night, the 13th August, about five minutes to twelve, he left the prisoner Hayes and Gainsford on the London-road just out of Tunbridge; they were both in liquor, but knew what they were doing. Prisoner had been fighting a short time before with a man at the "George."

George Bennett deposed that he lived at Sevenoaks, and drives the mail from that place to Tunbridge. On Sunday morning, August 14th, between four and five o’clock, was driving from Sevenoaks to Tunbridge; when he got between Mr. Eason’s and Cold Harbour-lane, he saw a man lying by the side of the road in the footway. On calling out to him, he said a man had cut the leaders of his arm, and he could not get up. He told witness where he lived, and witness called at his house and told a woman what he had seen, and the place where the man lay.

John Gainsford deposed that he was a labourer, living at Hilden. On Sunday morning he went on the road towards Tunbridge and found his son lying in the footpath; there was a quantity of blood about him. Helped to get him home, when the surgeon examined his wound, and he saw him take out of the wound the bit of steel produced, which fitted a hole in the reaping hook also produced.

Thomas Goddard, constable, went to the house of prisoner’s father on the 14th instant, and saw the prisoner; he charged him with cutting and wounding Gainsfoid with a reaping hook. Asked for the hook and it was brought to him Gainsford stated to witness, in the presence of prisoner, what he had stated in his evidence before the magistrates. Prisoner at first said he didn’t know he had cut him, but afterwards admitted that he knew it.

Committed for trial at the assizes.


South Eastern Gazette,17 January, 1860.

A Nice Brace.

James Watts and William Henner were charged before Major Scoones, at the magistrates’ clerk’s office, with begging at Tunbridge, on the 9th inst., and were committed for fourteen days each. They were also charged with having obtained 3 1/2d. from Alfred Miles, ostler at the "George Inn," under false pretences. It appeared that the prisoners made several calls on the publicans of the town, and called for beer, and on being asked for money threatened the landlord, and at one house they carried their threats into effect. They obtained the money from the prosecutor by alleging that they had money to receive that evening from a gentleman in the town.

The case was dismissed.




CHATFIELD Thomas 1851+ (age 54 in 1851Census)

WELLS Henry 1871+ (age 47 in 1871Census)


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-