Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1980s

Chilston Park Hotel

Open 2020+


Boughton Malherbe

Chilston Park Hotel 1997

Above photo, 1997.

Chilston Park Hotel

Above photo, date unknown.


Obviously a hotel, which means you will probably have to be a resident or guest to drink here.


Information taken from accessed 3 October 2020.


The Hussey family received the manor of Chilston from the Fitzhamon lords at Leeds Castle in the C13, Henry Hussey selling it in 1545. It was bought by Edward Hales in 1650, the diarist, John Evelyn visiting his relatives at Chilston in 1666 (de Beer 1955). Hales' daughter sold it in 1698 to the Hon Mrs Elizabeth Hamilton whose son, William, made alterations to the house in c 1709. His son, John, enclosed the park and continued his father's improvements to the house and grounds (CL 1952) but by 1736 he had sold Chilston to Thomas Best who remodelled the house and made further improvements to the park, water, and adjacent grounds (Hasted 1797-1801). On the death of George Best in 1819, Chilston was bought, in 1821, by George Douglas. In 1858 it passed to James Stoddart Douglas who bequeathed it in 1875 to a distant Douglas relative, Aretas Akers, later (1911) to be created Baron Douglas of Baads and Viscount Chilston of Boughton Malherbe (and adding Douglas to his name). The estate remained in the Akers Douglas family until sold by the fourth Viscount in 1983 (Sale particulars). Parts of the parkland and walled gardens were purchased privately as farmland and dwellings, Chilston Park and gardens becoming a hotel under the ownership of Judith and Martin Miller. This were then owned for a short while in the mid 1990s by Philip Humphreys before being purchased by Arcadian Hotels in 1997 and opened as the present Chilston Park Country House Hotel. The site remains (1997) in mixed commercial and private ownership.


Chilston Park (listed grade I) sits in the south centre of the site, on level ground and with views contained by the ridge to the north and by rising ground and woodland to the south. The principal block, built in red brick with a hipped, tiled roof, is of two storeys with nine bays, the central three projecting slightly below a pediment. The house was built in the late C15 or early C16 as a courtyard house, an early C17 three-storey entrance tower (shown in Badeslade's engraving made in 1709, published in Harris 1719) being replaced with the present pediment during the refenestration of the north front in 1728 (CL 1952). The interior was substantially remodelled in c 1750 and a brick conservatory built onto the south front in the late C18 or early C19. The house was much enlarged in 1880 by an extension westwards and new office wings; the ground floor on the north front was also lowered, the present porch added, and the courtyard infilled with a staircase. After the Second World War the third Viscount Chilston restored the house and demolished the C19 west wing, the present two-storey brick extension to the west of the main block being built on its site in 1997.

To the immediate west of the extension is a C17 or early C18 L-shaped stable range. The single-storey building is of coursed stone with a stone mounting block on its south-facing wall. The range is extended on the west side by a C19 red-brick wing with round-headed double doors. At the south-east corner of the grassed and paved stable yard is a two-storey coachman's cottage, also of coursed stone. The whole complex (listed grade II) was converted to its present hotel use by the Millers in the 1980s (promotional leaflet, c 1990).




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-