Sort file:- Northfleet, October, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 04 October, 2022.


Earliest 1823-

Leather Bottle

Latest 1903+

Dover Road



I have seen reference to this being located in the Perry Street area, however, Kelly's of 1903 says Dover Street.

If the other houses mentioned at the bottom of this article regarding the "India Arms" is anything to go by, I believe the "Leather Bottle" of Northfleet was quite a substantial building, however, I have seen no mention of it before of after 1823, so believe it must have been demolished shortly after this year.

Further research has seen it mentioned as late as 1885.


From the Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, 24 December 1823.

To Publicans and Others.

Old established Tavern on the bank of the Thames.


At the AUCTION MART, near the Bank of England, On Wednesday, January 7, at Twelve.

A Lease of the Valuable Old Established Tavern known as the "India Arms," most delightfully situate on the South Bank of the River Thames, at Northfleet Hope, 20 miles from London, and a mile and a half from Gravesend, in the county of Kent, immediately contiguous to the Anchorage Ground of the Outward bound Indiamen, and a convenient landing place for Passengers by the Steam and Sailing Boats. The House is very commodious for Company, containing numerous airy bed chambers, large and small dining and sitting rooms, coffee room and tap room, with convenient offices excellent cellaring, coach house, stabling, yard, garden, and cottages, and the advantage of a capital wharf for landing and shipping goods and merchandize.

May be viewed, and Particulars had 10 days previous to the Sale of the Premises; at the "Bull Inn," Dartford; "Leather Bottle," Northfleet; "Falcon Tavern," Gravesend; "Bull Inn," Rochester; "Mitre Tavern," Chatham; "King's Arms Inn," Grays; at the Mart; and of Mr. Shuttleworth, No. 27, Poultry.


Maidstone Journal, 1 February, 1842.

The stable of the "Leather Bottle," at Northfleet, was broken open on Tuesday last, and a valuable horse stolen belonging to Mr. Edwards, of Rochester.


Kentish Gazette, 13 March 1849.


On Saturday C. J. Cartttr, Esq., held an inquest at the "Leather Bottle," Northfleet, on the body of a gentleman who was found dead in a path running behind the lower wall of the Northfleet church-yard.

Thomas Everest, constable of Northfleet, deposed that at seven o'clock on Thursday morning, a man named Day called on him and told him that a gentleman was lying dead in the footway below the church-yard wall. Witness at once proceeded there with Day, and found the deceased, whose body was then in the body-house in the church-yard lying on his left side across the path in a pool of blood, with his throat cut from ear to ear, and holding in his right hand a razor. On the ground near him was also found a vial, in which remained a few drops of laudanum.

Charles Edward Crofts deposed that he was a surgeon resident in London. He identified the body of the deceased as that of Mr. Joseph Palmer, chief clerk to an eminent Chancery-lawyer's firm in the city. Was acquainted with him for 17 years, and had within that period attended him professionally for a nervous affection; but most frequently within the last two years. His age was about 49. He suffered very much from this affection, to the effects of which his own intemperate habits had latterly added. In December last witness last attended him in one of those attacks. had not seen him within a month. All the arteries of the throat were severed. The cat was such as a man so committing suicide might make. Deceased held a good situation in the firm alluded to; witness had no reason to believe that he was apprehensive of losing it. He smoked cigars inordinately. Saw at no period indications of insanity in deceased's manners.

A gentleman connected, as he stated, with the firm in which deceased was employed, but who gave his name and that of the firm in so low a tone that we could not accurately catch either, deposed that he knew the deceased for fifteen years in connection with the firm under which he held a responsible and confidential office. The last lime he (witness) saw him was on Saturday afternoon, when he paid him 2, being the balance of his week's salary due on that day. For some time back his habits were irregular, and he was remonstrated with about them, but was not threatened with deprival of his situation. He was a man of undoubted integrity of character, and extremely clever and well informed. Witness heard no more of him till Thursday last, when he was informed of the dreadful termination of his existence. This witness appeared to be deeply affected whilst giving his evidence, so also did the preceding witness (Mr. Crofts.)

A waiter at the "Hit or Miss" public-house, Gravesend identified the body as that of a gentleman whom he had served at that house at nine o'clock on Tuesday morning with a pint of ale and three pennyworth of brandy, and on the Wednesday at the same hour with a similar quantity of both. Deceased remained in the parlour from that time up to seven o'clock, an within that time he (witness) served him with two more pints of ale, two three pennyworths of brandy, and two glasses of gin and water. At seven o'clock, it rained in torrents; deceased asked if he could have a bed, and on being answered in the negative, he left the house and took the way to Northfleet.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased had committed suicide on Wednesday night, being at the time in an unsound state of mind.


Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser, Saturday 23 June 1860.

Northfleet Rifle Corps.

On Thursday evening, Lieutenant Kenyan, of the rifle courts, entertained the non-commissioned officers to dinner at the "Leather Bottle."


Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser, Saturday 21 November 1885.

Sudden Death.

On Wednesday afternoon, Mrs. Sarah Smith, 65, of No. 2, Perry Street, left her home to take a short walk as usual. She passed through Wombwell Park and by the road to Brook Vale, where she called at a cottage to enquire the way home as she had lost herself. She was directed to Perry Street by way of the Park, and she started on her return journey, but she would appear to have turned back again, and when near Hubble's Farm she was seen to fall by a Boy, who communicated with Mr. Alfred Higgins, working on the farm. On his going to the old lady she appeared to be dead, and with assistance he conveyed her to the "Leather Bottle Inn," Northfleet. She was there seen by Dr. J. S. Crook, who pronounce life extinct, and subsequently, under direction of P.S. Waterman, the deceased was removed to her home at Perry Street.


According to the census of 1901 the name had added Hotel to its suffix, and in 1911 was referred to as "Ye Old leather Bottle."



TYLER Thomas 1851-52+ (age 58 in 1851Census)

HIGGINS John H 1861-71+ (age 58 in 1861Census)

COOPER William 1881+ (age 39 in 1881Census)

JOHNSON Frederick George Lancaster 1901-11+ (age 37 in 1901Census)Kelly's 1903


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-