Sort file:- Sidcup, August, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 07 August, 2021.


Earliest 1730

(Name from)

Red Cross

Latest 1935

(Name to)

North Cray Road


Red Cross 1921

Above photo 1921 showing Albert Sparks, son of Adelaine and Charles.


This was a tied "Fleet Brewery" pub in 1865 when the brewery was put up for auction.


Information taken from web site:- 5 December 2015.

The "White Cross Inn" began life as "Ye Brandy House and Ale House" in 1729. The licensee list below gives names of licensees and other details we know.

In 1729 The name was then "Ye Brandy House and Ale House", William Jones was the keeper until 1743.

The name changed to the "Red Cross Inn" after the flag of St George. The "Red Cross" was a posting-house, an inn which provided a change of horses for coaches passing through.

Thomas Hawes was licensee in 1751 on his death, the "Red Cross Inn" passed to his son-in-law, Robert Eves, a farmer.

On the death of Robert Eves, the inn passed to his widow. Ann provided beer to the men of North Cray, compulsorily labouring on its roads under the supervision of North Cray's Surveyor of Highways.

In 1808 Mrs Eves was paid 15s 6d for 31 pots of beer; and more payments were made to her in 1809 and 1810 for supplying beer to the men labouring in Parsonage Lane. She also provided beer for the bell ringers at St James' church. Mrs Eves died in 1817 aged 67.
Ann Eves, her late husband and many of the Eves family are buried in St James' churchyard.

No licence is recorded in 1818. This may have been when the inn was rebuilt.

In 1890 William Farmer from Staplehurst was the publican and an auctioneer. He also farmed some nearby land.

In 1837, although William Farmer still occupied the "Red Cross" the public house, stable yard and premises were owned by William and Charles Fleet, brewers in Dartford.

Lewis Latter was licensee in 1846 and died in 1851 when his wife
Matilda succeeded her late husband. Then aged 38, she had four children and a lodger living at home in the "Red Cross." Her 18 year old daughter Ann was the barmaid. Since c1833 the family had lived in Plumstead, Northfleet and Bermondsey - arriving in North Cray around 1846, where Lewis and Matilda's daughter Lavina, was born.

Timothy Sales had become publican by June 1851.

Although the licence had been made out to Timothy Sales, it was altered to John Mathew Munyard, who then assigned it to his brother-in-law Frederick Goodyer of Eltham.

As well as managing the "Red Cross" and dealing in tobacco and provisions there, Goodyer was also an omnibus driver. Both the Munyard and Goodyer families were involved in the transport business, as fly and omnibus proprietors, or in the letting of post horses. In 1857, Thomas Goodyer became a debtor.

In 1857 John Graves was licensee.

In 1859 Edmund Richard May took over as licensee. As well as being licensee, May was also a carman and a dealer in coals and wood. By 1862 he had moved to the "Six Bells, Bexley" and that year became a bankrupt.

1861 Joseph Thomas Moors aged 36, was also a cordwainer (shoemaker/cobbler). He lived at "Red Cross" with his wife Esther (nee Whittington) from Thakenham Sussex. They had married in 1846 in the district of Bromley and had two sons. Also staying with Joseph at the time was John Phillips aged 15, a relative born in St Mary's Cray; Edward Bristol a sheep shearer, and John Prosser an Agricultural Labourer aged 27. In 1848 the family was living in St Mary's Cray, moving to Shorne c1851. From 1871 to 1881 Joseph was again a shoemaker and died in the fourth quarter of 1884. Esther is recorded on the 1901 census as living on her own means she died on the 5th of April 1912 in Godstone, Surrey.

Next licensee was James Staples some time after 1861 and 1867, then William Staples in 1867.

In 1869 licensee was George Bateman aged 36, Bateman was both publican and gardener. His wife Alicia, was then aged 38 (born 1831). By 1871 the couple were living at "Fleur-de-Lis" public house in Trafalgar Rd, Gillingham with their daughters Mary (born 1866) and Jane (born 1870).

In 1874 George Manser was licensee.

In 1876 James William Manser aged 54. The 1881 census has James living at "Red Cross" with wife Louisa (nee Smith). They married in 1848 and lived with their 26 year old niece Elizabeth, a servant and Julia Smith aged 59, a servant/nurse.

1886 saw John McPherson as licensee perhaps for a short time.

1887 George Townsend was licensee. George and his wife Sarah were both born in Liscard, Merseyside c1848 and 1842 respectively. By 1901 George was beer keeper at the "Founders Arms" in Crooked Lane, Gravesend.

In 1891 John McPherson was definitely licensee age 27. He was born in Scotland. John's wife Maud Mary B (nee Brown) was born in Orpington in 1868 and they married in 1888. Also living at "Red Cross" with them was their son who was born 1878 in New Cross and their 15 year old servant Fanny Poole.

In 1901 William Jackson, aged 53. He was born in Eastling Kent. His wife Sophia, aged 47 was born in Limpsfied, Surrey. They lived at "Red Cross" with their 16 year old domestic servant Frances J Dungate, born in Orpington.

1903 saw Daniel John Laslett as licensee.

1904 Charles Henry Sparks was there. Born in Q1 1859 in Faversham Kent, Charles was the son of Thomas (born 1837 in Faversham) and Sarah Ann (nee Fright).

In Q3 1879 Charles married Adelaide Emily Maxted (born 1859 in Challock, Kent) at St Saviours, Southwark.

Adelaide Emily Sparks

Above photo showing Adelaide Emily Sparks licensee 1913-25.

At the 1901 census Adelaide and Charles (then an Assistant in a Tobacco Factory) were living in Hazeldene Rowden Road Beckenham Kent (St George's parish), with their children:- Daughters; Winifred (age 4, born in Walworth, London), Elsie Mary (11, born Walworth), Kate Adelaide (14), Lillian Maude (15, born Kennington, a Dressmaker) Florence Emily (17, born Kennington, a Dressmaker) Sons: George (6, born Walworth), William Henry (9, born Walworth.) They moved to North Cray in Nov 1904. At the 1911 census Adelaide and Charles (a Licensed Victualler), lived at the "Red Cross Inn," with: Daughters: Lilian Maude (26) and Elsie Mary (22), both assisting at the Red Cross. Sons: George (17, Student), Albert Maxted (10, schoolboy.) Charles died in Q4 1915 and is buried in St James' churchyard. His grave is on the right as you go through the gate.

1915 Adelaide Emily Sparks (nee Maxted) took over "Red Cross Inn" after her husband died. Adelaide was the daughter of William Maxted, an agricultural labourer (born 1808) and Catherine (born 1818.)

On the evening of Saturday May 2nd 1925, Adelaide suffered a stroke and never regained consciousness; she died on Thursday May 7th. Her funeral was held at St James' North Cray on Wednesday afternoon of the following week, the service was conducted by Rev. T Milner. Her grave is on the right as you go through the gate.

1930 John Reginald Hopkins Pepper (born 23 Jan 1898) took over the license.

In 1935 the "Red Cross Inn" became the "White Cross Inn," as the war office ruled the name "Red Cross" contravened the Geneva Convention. The sign now depicts the White Maltese Cross and the sign of the Knights Hospitallers.


Today (2019) I am informed by Stewart Morgan, that the location comes under Bexley Village.



Last pub licensee had JONES William 1730-43

HAWES Thomas 1751+

EVES Robert 1789+

EVES Ann Eves nee Hawes 1802-17 dec'd

FARMER William 1819-37+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

LATTER Lewis 1846-51 dec'd

LATTER Matilda 1851

SALES Timothy June/1851+

MUNYARD John Mathew 1851+

GOODYER Frederick 1855+

GRAVES John 1857+

MAY Edmund Richard Next pub licensee had 1859+

MOORS Joseph Thomas 1861+ (also cordwainer aged 36)

STAPLES James after 1861

STAPLES William 1867+

BATEMAN George 1869+

MANSER George 1874+

MANSER James William 1876+

McPHERSON John 1886?

TOWNSEND George Next pub licensee had 1887+

McPHERSON John 1891+ (age 27 in 1891Census)

JACKSON William 1901+ (age 53 in 1901Census)

LASLETT Daniel John 1903+ Kelly's 1903

SPARKS Charles Henry 1904+

SPARKS Adelaide Emily 1915-2/May/25 dec'd

PEPPER John Reginald Hopkins Next pub licensee had 1930+35+

1935 name changed to "White Cross."


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-