Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 March, 2022.


Earliest ????


Open 2020+

Leigh Road (Powder Mill Lane)


01732 832149

Plough 2005

Above photo, 2005.

Plough 2016

Above photo, 2016.

Plough Inn

Above advertisement saying:- For lovers of good food and wines. Situated in the Weald of Kent, near Leigh, yet convenient for London, near to Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks. Seating up to 150 people in magnificent splendour.


Above advertisement saying:- Originally a Tythe Barn now a magnificent Elizabethan Restaurant. The ideal venue for that special occasion. Weddings, Functions, Conferences, or Dinner Dances. Food prepared by our top class chef, and with service like it used to be! - to ensure the success of your occasion deserves. Enquire Hildenborough (0732) 832149.

Plough Inn sign 1988Plough sign

Above sign left, July 1988. Sign right, date unknown

With thanks from Brian Curtis


The buildings can be traced back to 1570, as a terrace of four cottages as there are four entrance doors each with a well outside, now all since filled in.

Next door to the inn there is a fabulous old barn.

Plough barn 1990s

Originally Grade II listed, the Royal Commission for Historical Monuments suggests it dated to the late C18th/early C19th. During the early 1970s, the barn suffered a fire, arson was suspected but never proved. The fire was only in the roof, the fire brigade were promptly on the scene, managed to put it out quite quickly and the barn was repaired. In October 1974, an application was made to demolish the barn, permission was refused. It was noted at the time that the barn was Grade II listed. In July 1975, a new application was made, again to demolish the barn. Again, permission was refused. In March 1976, an application for the renovation and alteration of the barn was granted, with conditions. Over the next few years, the barn was improved and updated with toilet facilities, beer store, utility room and a kitchen to eventually enable it to become a function room, restaurant, wedding venue and conference centre.


Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser 11 February 1949.


No opposition was offered to applications for full licences made by Noel Jempson, the "Plough," Hildenborough.


Information from

Ghost Connections UK.

The Plough, Leigh. 9th October 2005.

Team Present: Kim, Dean, Paddy, Ian, Rick.

We undertook this investigation knowing that no paranormal activity had been recorded by it's occupants, therefore a blank canvas for Ghost Connections with no preconceptions.

We entered the premises at 10pm, took a tour of the building and began to install out equipment.

At 11pm we commenced our investigation. The whole team sat quietly in the bar area.

After some time some members of the team decided to undertake loan vigils in the barn that is connected to the pub. No unusual phenomena was recorded.

The team spent several hours in different locations and no unusual recording were noted. Therefore at 3am the team decided to close the investigation.

We would like to thank Alex for allowing us to undertake this investigation.



JEMPSON George 1872-1922 (age 46 in 1901Census)

MAY Richard 1881+ (age 63 in 1881Census)

JEMPSON Thomas 1922-1927

JEMPSON Noel 1928-1975

Last pub licensee had COPESTAKE Jerry after 1973 before 1985 Next pub licensee had

???? Mick & Hazel 2014+




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-