DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 24 May, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1841-

Two Brewers

Closed 1980

Lees Road

Yalding

Two Brewers 1930

Above showing the "Two Brewers" 1930.

Two Brewers

Above postcard, date unknown.

Two Brewers

Above photo date unknown.

Former Two Brewers

Above showing the former "Two Brewers" date unknown.

Two Brewers card 1949Two Brewers card 1949

Above aluminium card issued May 1949. Sign series 1 number 37.

Two Brewers card 1949Two Brewers card 1949

Above aluminium card issued May 1949. Sign series 1 number 38.

Two Brewers sign 1960sTwo Brewers sign 1960s

Above signs 1960s.

 

The pub unfortunately closed about 1980, and behind it there had been a brewery, that at the close of the nineteenth century was offering the products of Messrs Loud and Wickham. This latter was Herbert Thomas Wickham of Laddingford House, who was soon to move into Congelow House.

These two men were not the actual two brewers, as the name existed in directories at the start of the nineteenth century, but was also known much earlier.

There were many charities established in the period since 1600, giving bread or clothes to the elderly or education to children, of the poor of the parish. One such benefactor was Mrs Julian Kenward, who linked her efforts with two men from Kingston, Surrey. They may have been related, but they also owned land both in Tudely and Yalding.

The two men, Thomas and John Twiffen were brewers, and are mentioned in a deed dated 1641, relating to a farm of 17 acres called Bentletts, the purchase of which was made by Mrs Julian Kenward, and Thomas and John. The farm was purchased from a Thomas Turner, and the subsequent rents were to pay for a schoolmaster, chosen by the vicar, churchwardens, and overseers, to teach the sons of the poor of the parish whom they should nominate. There were several charity connections with buildings in the parish, and one such cottage that adjoined the Two Brewers was sold for 80 on 8th May 1877.

The information and names of publicans and their houses was not advertised until the directories and census records of the eighteenth century. The first name associated with this property at that time was William Tubb, but with no further details as the 1841 census lists the name of Joseph Samway.

He was living there with wife Mary, five years his senior, and children James 25, Joseph 20, and Matilda 15. After Joseph was buried here on 8th of May 1845 aged 57, and then Mary on 23rd Dec 1848 aged 65, son James took over the business, but only for a short time as he was to be buried here on 19th Nov 1851 aged 35. The next publican behind the bar, was John Baldwin, who had previously been a cooper.

John lived there with his wife Elizabeth, six years his senior, five children, and his father also John, who was formerly a victualler and bargeman. Elizabeth was buried here on 16th Oct 1869 aged 51, and John senior on 1st Oct 1871 aged 83. John had passed The Brewer's onto Edward Law, and retired to Tonbridge back to his old trade as a cooper, before he was buried here on 30 July 1883 aged 57.

The "Two Brewers" became known as the Hoppers pub or the Londoners pub, as can be seen by the top photo of a coach stopping for folk to have a glass in 1930, and sample wares from the Cockle and Whelk stall.

Edward Law was publican for about twenty years till the turn of the century, followed by Mrs Eleanor Cheesman, early 1900's, George Edward Cheesman (1915), George Ditcher (1925), and Jonathan George Vennell (1938).

Next came Bert Sadler, whose son David was clever with his feet, played one game of football for Yalding, onto play for Maidstone, and was quickly passed onto Manchester United.

Other publicans were Tompsett, and Barry Beachamp, son of Cecil and Alvey, of The Swan Fruit Shop.

This Public House like many others has now reverted to being private accommodation.

 

Project 2014 has been started to try and identify all the pubs that are and have ever been open in Kent. I have just added this pub to that list but your help is definitely needed regarding it's history.

As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation.

 

LICENSEE LIST

TUBB William ????

SAMWAY Joseph 1841+ Census

SAMWAY James (son) 1848-Nov/51

BALDWIN John Nov/1851-74+ (also cooper & coal merchant age 45 in 1871Census)

LAW Edward to 1880-1903+ (widower age 61 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

CHEESEMAN Eleanor 1900s+

CHEESEMAN George Edward to 1913-22+

DITCHER George 1925-30+

VENNELL Jonathan George 1938-44+ Next pub licensee had

SADLER Bert ????

BEAUCHAMP Thompsett and Barry ????

https://pubwiki.co.uk/TwoBrewers.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/twobrewers.html

 

CensusCensus

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to http://yaldinghistory