Sort file:- Bromley, February, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 27 February, 2022.


Earliest 1832-

Tiger's Head

Latest 2010+

(Name to)

86 (14) Mason's Hill

Bromley Common

Tiger's Head

Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Maria Walker.

Tigers Head 1935

Above photo, circa 1935, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Tiger's Head 2011

Above photo 2011 by Chris Whippet Creative Commons Licence.

Tiger's Head sign 1986

Above sign May 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Saturday 7 July 1866.

Counterfeit Coin.

Martha Franklin, 35, widow, was charged with unlawfully uttering counterfeit half-crowns and a florin, she well knowing the same to be counterfeit, at Bromley, on the 3rd May.

Mr. T. J. Smith prosecuted.

William Cook, landlord of the "Tigers Inn," Bromley Common proved that the prisoner came to his house for a glass of ale, for which she tendered half a crown, and received in change to 2s. 1 1/2d. Soon after prisoner was gone witness ascertained that the half- crown was counterfeit.

Prisoner then went to the "Rising Sun Inn" for a glass of ale, and in payment gave a counterfeit florin. The coin was detected and returned to the prisoner, when she paid in good coin.

The jury found the prisoner guilty, but recommended her to mercy, and she was sentenced to 6 months' hard labour.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, 03 September 1870.

Fatal accident through careless driving.

On Friday and inquest was held at the "Tiger's Head Inn," Masons Hill, Bromley, to inquire into the cause of death of Mr Edward Guildford.

The jury have returned from viewing the body, which was at the Cottage Hospital, the following evidence was given before Mr. Carttar, coroner for the district.

Mrs. Harriet Guildford said the deceased was her husband, and was by trade a greengrocer, living in the Old Kent Road. On the 15th of August she went to Halstead on a visit, and in the evening of that day her husband came through Bromley with a horse and trap to meet her. She did not see him until after the accident had occurred. He was then insensible.

George Bligh, a butcher, living at Mr. Covell's, said on the day in question he saw the deceased coming down the town driving very carelessly. Seeing he was rather the worst would drink he stopped him and told him to be careful. Deceased said he would, but he had got a fidgety horse to drive. He then went away, in two or three minutes afterwards he saw some boys running. He asked them what was the matter, and they said a man has been thrown out of his cart. He then went down the street and saw the deceased lying on the ground. It was about half-past eight o'clock in the evening. Charles Adams, a bricklayer, residing at Bromley, said he was walking along the road near the Bromley Railway Station, on the evening of the accident, when he saw the deceased coming along in a cart. After he had passed him, he looked round and found the deceased had run into a waggon. He was driving on the wrong side of the road. The concussion through him right across the road, and he fell on his head. Witness ran and picked him up. Deceased at the time was driving at a very slow pace. The horse fell down, and the car rolled over. No fault whatsoever was attached to the driver of the waggon. When he picked deceased up, he was insensible, and was bleeding at the ear. The coronary remarked that bleeding at the ear was generally a fatal sign.

Mrs. Hannah Payne said she resided in the Old Kent Road, and the deceased was her son-in-law. When she heard of the accident, she came down to the Cottage Hospital where deceased was, and found him insensible. She remained with him until the time of his death. He was at times conscious, but could not speak. There was every attention paid to him. The medical attendant told her at first there was scarcely any hopes of his recovery. He died on Wednesday, the 24th.

The coroner observed that there was quite sufficient evidence before them to return a verdict, death evidently been caused through the accident. At the same time he remarked that the Bromley Cottage Hospital was a most valuable institution, for it might be the means of saving life in cases of accident, as death sometimes occurred through patients having to be taken a long distance. He therefore considered this hospital should be well supported.

The jury then returned a verdict of accidental death.


From the Alcester Chronicle, Saturday 24 December, 1881.


Mr. E. A. Carttar, coroner for West Kent, has held an inquest at the "Tiger’s Head, Bromley, Kent, on the body of Frederick Augustus Barnard, publisher of the Sporting Times, who met with his death through falling under a train at Shortlands Station. Evidence was given stating that deceased arrived at Shortlands Station by the 8.12 p.m. train, and that he failed to get out of the carriage until the train started. Ha then jumped quite clear of the train, but turned and tried to shut the carriage door with his right hand, at the same time having in his left hand a basket of fish, a hare, a bottle, an umbrella, and some newspapers. Ha succeeded in closing the door, but the ground being wet and slippery, he fell on to the footboard and the platform, and as the train passed along fell between the couplings of the second and third carriages, and the remainder of the train passed over him. He was picked up and taken to the Cottage Hospital, where Dr. W. Beeby amputated the left leg, the bone of which had been crushed and cracked in a frightful manner. After the amputation he remained quite insensible, and died some hours afterwards. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and attributed blame to no one. During the inquiry several of the jurors expressed a wish to hear the evidence of the lady superintendent of the hospital, Mrs. Ellen Mary Burten Ravenhill, but she declined to come, and the coroner had to issue a warrant, and she was brought up in custody. The coroner reminded her that he could inflict a very heavy penalty in these cases, and he detained her in custody until the termination of the inquiry.


Some time around about the year 2000 it was renamed "Mr Q's" but as yet do not know for how long it had this name.

I am informed by Roget Pester in 2016 that the pub is now called the "Crown and Pepper."



LAMBERT John "James" 1832-51+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34 (widower age 83 in 1851Census)

SOW Messrs Jba 1856+

MITCHELL T 1858+ (also farmer)

COOK William 1862-66+

Last pub licensee had HADDEN John 1874-91+ (age 53 in 1891Census)

WOOD William H 1895-13+ (age 47 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

LARCOMBE Frank William 1918-38+


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-