Page Updated:- Saturday, 23 October, 2021.


Earliest 1649


Latest 1960+

(Name to)

24 Silver Hill


Rose 1960s

Above photo, 1960s, kindly sent by Michael Mirams.

Rose sign 1991

Above sign, July 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


Built as a coaching inn  in 1649, the pub changed name to the "Hooden on the Hill" but as yet I don't know when the change occurred.


Local knowledge, further pictures, and licensee information would be appreciated.

I will be adding the historical information when I find or are sent it, but this project is a very big one, and I do not know when or where the information will come from.

All emails are answered.


Faversham Times and Mercury and North-East Kent Journal, Saturday 30 December 1876.

Ashford fatal accident.

On Saturday night and inquest was held before T. T. Delasaux, Esq., coroner, at the "Rose," Willesborough, on the body of John Terry, aged 80, father of the landlord.

About 5 o'clock on Friday evening he went into a loft door some fodder for the horses. By some means or other he slipped and fell backwards down a ladder. He was picked up insensible, and never spoke, but died in a few hours.

A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.


From the Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 16 July, 1898.


John Joseph Terry, landlord of the "Rose Inn," Willesborough, was summoned for permitting drunkenness on his licensed premise on June 38th.

Mr. B. C, Drake defended, and pleaded not guilty.

P.O. Friend stated that he went to the house in plain clothes on the afternoon of the day named and there saw three men who were the worse for liquor, and two others who were under the influence of drink but not drunk. He did not hear the landlord refuse to serve them on the ground that they were intoxicated, nor did he say in reply to the statement that he (defendant) had refused to serve them in the presence of witness.

"Yes, that's right."

P.S. Capps corroborated as to the men in question being drunk, and added that the defendant on being told that he had a drunken party there, admitted that this was the ease.

For the defence it was contended that the men were not drunk, or at any rate that they were not so evidently so as to make it certain that the defendant could have told that they were. The defendant and his two sons were both called in to prove that this was the case, and a labourer named Rains was also called to show that one of the men whom he saw as he left the house was able to walk perfectly straight.

In the end the Bench dismissed the case on the ground that there was not sufficient evidence to convict.


Kentish Express, Friday 9 February 1979.

Gas leak blamed for death blaze.

A WARNING to users and suppliers of gas heaters was given at the inquest on an Ashford publican on Tuesday.

The inquest heard that Mrs. Norah Ballingall, licensee of the "Rose Inn," at The Street, Willsborough, died after a fire at her home, attached to the pub.

Ashford Coroner Ralph Vaughan said the fire was probably started by Mrs. Ballingall's gas heater, and suggested that the gas cylinder may not have been fitted correctly, allowing gas to leak out.

The fire was on December 14. Mrs. Ballingall, 74, was taken to Ashford Hospital and died two weeks later. She had been pulled, unconscious, from her blazing home by Leading Ambulance man, Alan Burchette.

Mrs. Ballingall died on December 29, Dr. Noel Padley, consultant pathologist for the South East Kent health district gave the cause of death as acute bronchitis and bronchial pneumonia, due to inhalation of smoke and fumes.

He said Mrs. Ballingall had been considerably overweight, and had had a severe heart condition.

One of her neighbours, Mrs. Jacqueline Anderson, of Silver Hill, Willesborough said Mrs. Ballingall had used a gas heater in the living room, but was not able to change the gas cylinders herself. She hed had to ask men who used the pub to change them.

The heater was an Alvina Mk III. made in Spain and imported by Infradex at Hoddesdon, Herts. Mr. Roy Riley, technical director of the company, said it was most important, when connecting the heater to the gas cylinder, to fasten the cylinder tightly, ensuring that a provided rubber washer was used. The company provided a spanner for this process.

But neither the spanner nor the rubber washer were found among the debris of the fire.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Vaughan said: "The fire probably started with the gas heater, probably at cylinder pressure.




TERRY John Joseph 1876-1903+ (also carrier age 65 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1903

TERRY Alfred John 1911-38+ (age 43 in 1911Census)

BALLINGALL Norman & Norah 1965+

BALLINGER Norah Mrs to 29/Dec/1978 dec'd


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-