Page Updated:- Friday, 25 March, 2022.


Earliest 1763

Maypole Inn

Open 2020+

The Street


01795 424253

Maypole 1914

Above photo circa 1914. Kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

Maypole Inn

Above postcard, date unknown, kindly sent by Mark Jennings.

Maypole Inn

Above postcard, date unknown.

Maypole 2006

Above photo 28 April 2006.


Photo date unknown from by John Law.

Maypole sign 1986Maypole sign 2022

Above sign left, May 1986, sign right 2022.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


This Inn known by the name and sign the Maypole was built in the first year of George II, in 1727.

When first built the property was two farm dwellings, belonging then, to the estate of one Francis Grosvenor esq. of Sittingbourne, who possessed the land upon which they were built, and commissioned the erection of them as part of a terrace, to house farm workers, of his estate.

In 1733, six years after their founding, one Nathaniel Tidye, grazier, and his family resided in one cottage, while Thomas Reason, farmer and wheelwright, occupied the other with his family.

By 1750 on Thomas Parsons, grazier occupied the cottage that had housed Nathaniel Tidye, whilst residing in the other was Sarah Reason, widow, and five children. At this date the property was owned by the estate of Thomas Grosvenor. He in 1754, disposed of much of his late fathers estate, these cottages with others and a small track of land adjoining were purchased by William Hensham of Sittingbourne parish. He in 1763 leased one cottage to Jesse Roper a tobacco-pipe maker and brewer of Sittingbourne.

In August 1763, Roper applied for and was granted a licence to sell ales from one of the cottages, which at this date remained untitled other than it, was a registered beer house, kept by Jesse Roper, who now became a tobacco-pipe maker, brewer and beer seller of The Street Borden. Residing in the other cottage at this date was one Mary Fricher a harness maker of Borden, and Susannah Huggens, a tanner of Borden, who both appear to have operated a business from the premises.

Jesse Roper kept the house until his death in 1789, whereafter his widow Jane took up the licence. Described as the widow Roper she ran the beer house now a thriving concern, until her own death in 1801.

The cottages at this date were owned by William Marsh who in that year sold them to Isaac Jackson, a beer seller of Bapchild. He owned and kept the house, which is now commonly come to be called the ‘Maypole’ beer house, until his death in 1815, whereupon his son Samuel, cattle salesman, inherited it. At this date the adjoining cottage was occupied by Mary Parsons, a straw hat maker.

Samuel Jackson, sold the ‘Maypole’ and adjoining cottages in 1817, to one Batchelor Roper, a tavener of Sittingbourne, who had previously kept a house called the ‘Cherry Tree’ in that town. Batchelor Roper was the Grandson of the aforementioned Jesse Roper and in 1820 applied for and was granted a full spirit licence for the house. At this date work was carried out on the two dwellings to form them as one and upon completion the house was registered as the ‘Maypole Tavern’.

Batchelor Roper kept the ‘Maypole’ until 1827, selling in that year to Joseph Blakesty, victualler of Sittingbourne, who in 1831 sold to Thomas Hammond, brewer of Sittingbourne. By 1834, one Valentine Payne, saddler, had been granted the licence and held a form of tenancy on the house, paying and annual rent of 16 pounds to Hammond. By 1840, one Thomas Coulter was keeping the ‘Maypole’. Coulter had come from a farming family and was himself once a farmer of Sittingbourne. His brother James was a fire and life agent and had an office at Sittingbourne for the Royal Farmer and Hailstorm Insurance Company.

In 1845, one Henry Greenstead was keeping the ‘Maypole’, he is described as a publican, horse dealer and carriage proprietor, and like many keepers of the house before him that were recorded under other trades, continued to ply his trade as well as run the house. During his stay here he bought and sold horses and hired out and repaired carriages, a sign advertising his services hung outside the ‘Maypole’ for many years. When he died in 1858, his son Charles took over the house and continued with his father’s carriage business, no mention is made of him trading in horses. When he left in 1875 on George Zalopa came and held the licence until 1897. In that year he was succeed by Archibald E Fuggle, who held the licence here until his death in 1943. He was succeeded by his wife Louisa who held the licence for the duration of World War II and long after.

This history is displayed at the Maypole Inn and submitted by the present licensee.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 28 March, 1863.


An inquest was held at the “Maypole Inn,” Borden, last week, before Mr. T. Hills, coroner, on the body of a newly born child, which had been discovered under the following circumstances.

On the previous Saturday John Bentley, a labourer, found the body between two stacks belonging to Mr. Steele, near Borden church, and from its mutilated appearance it was concluded that it had been drawn out of a hole, in which it had been concealed, by a dog, and partially eaten, the rags in which it had been wrapped having been torn away. A post mortem examination had been made by Mr. H. G. Sutton, of Sittingbourne who described the revolting condition of the child, and said that he found a large patch of effused blood upon the skull, corresponding with an external discoloration, there being also a fracture of four inches long. It was his opinion the child had been born alive, and that the injury to the head had been caused by violence. An open verdict of “Found dead” was returned.


East Kent Gazette, Saturday 9 September 1871.

Borden Cricket Club.

A match will be played at Bordan (Eleven v. Twenty-two) by Members and Friends of the above club, on Wednesday, September 13th, 1871, for the benefit of Mr. C. Greensted, who is leaving the "Maypole Inn." Wickets will be pitched at 10 o'clock.

Supper will be provided at the "Maypole Inn" at half past 6 o'clock.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette 17 May 1884.


On the 6th May, at Borden, Henrietta, wife of Mr. Aapola George, of the "May Pole Inn," aged 38.




ROPER Jesse 1763-89 dec'd (also pipe maker)

ROPER Jane (widow) 1789-1801 dec'd

JACKSON Isaac 1801-15 dec'd

JACKSON Samuel (son) 1815-17

ROPER Batchelor 1817-27

BLAKESTY Joseph 1827-31

HAMMOND Thomas 1831-34

PAYNE Valentine 1834-40

GRINSTEAD Henry 1841+ (age 60 in 1841Census) Melville's 1858

COULTER Thomas 1840-45

GREENSTED Henry 1845-58 dec'd (widower age 73 in 1851Census)

GREENSTED Charles Giles (son) 1858-Nov/71 (age 65 in 1871Census) East Kent Gazette

BURR Lewis Philip Nov/1871+ East Kent Gazette

BURR Edward 1874+ Post Office Directory 1874

ZALOPA George 1875-1903+ (age 40 in 1881Census) Kelly's 1903

FUGGLE Archibald Ernest 1897-43 dec'd (age 46 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1930

FUGGLE Louisa Mrs 1938-43+ Post Office Directory 1938

DE-BALL Tony Next pub licensee had 1997-2001



Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

East Kent GazetteEast Kent Gazette

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-