DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Greenwich, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1823-

Lord Hood

Closed 2016

300 Creek Road/29 Bridge Street

Greenwich

Lord Hood

Photos taken from http://www.flickr.com by Matt Martin, in March 2007.

Lord Hood 2017

Above Google image, July 2017.

 

Addressed at Alexander Terrace pre 1901 and 29 Bridge Street after that date. Also addressed at 300 Creek Road by 1944 and later at 60 Creek Road after road renumbering.

I am told that the building is awaiting demolition (2018).

Christine Mortimer tells me in June 2019 that it has been demolished.

 

Sheffield Independent 29 August 1882.

A THAMES MYSTERY CLEARED.

An inquest was held at "Lord Hood's Arms," Bridge street, Greenwich, a short time back, on the body of a man unknown, which was found in a state of nudity with the exception of a shirt, lying on the shore of the Thames, partly under water, off Billingsgate Dock, Greenwich, by Inspector Box, of the Thames Police. At the inquest a verdict of "Found Drowned" was returned, the inspector stating a description of the deceased had been circulated without leading to his identification. He had inquired of those on board a ship lying off Huntley's Wharf near the spot, but he could gain no intelligence of one of the crew being missing. The body has, however, since been identified as that of Charles George Warriker, of the collier brig Star, which up to Thursday last lay at Huntley's Wharf. It appears that deceased, with two or three shipmates, went to a public house, and returned to his ship under the influence of drink. One of his companions, who was in the same condition, fell and injured his head, and was removed to the Seamen's Hospital. Deceased was shortly afterwards missed, his clothes being found near his bunk. It is thought that, having undressed, he accidentally stepped overboard, and was drowned.

 

The pub closed in 2016 and is destined to be demolished.

 

From the http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk  6 March, 2016.

Demolition planned for Greenwich town centre pub.

Developers are looking to demolish the attractive Lord Hood pub in Greenwich. Proposals to replace the building on Creek Road are before Greenwich Council’s Planning Board this week. Planning officers are recommending approval for a new scheme comprising a replacement pub/bar and eight flats.

The existing building is already four-stories with a similar height to its neighbours – Up the Creek comedy club on one side and new-build housing the other. It doesn’t waste land. There’s plenty of scope to build on land to the rear and this should not necessitate the entire demolition of this building.

Lord Hood replacement.

Above showing what the replacement could look like.

Utilising the extensive land to the rear of the pub (which is also owned by the developers) for a new build would provide similar numbers of flats as this new proposal, with access provided at Bardsley Lane. Then add in flats above the retained pub in the existing four-storey building and these proposals aren’t even likely to give a net gain in homes.

Lord Hood site plan

Site plan shows amount of land at rear.

With thousands of new-build flats now going up within five minutes walk there’s clearly plenty of potential future custom to ensure this pub has a long and successful future whilst remaining in a building with character. It’s hard to see any positives from this proposal.

 

LICENSEE LIST

CORBETT C 1823+ Pigot's Directory 1823

STACEY Isaac 1832-40+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

STACEY James 1852+

WALKER James Thomas 1858+

JAQUES J 1862+

HUTLEY William 1866-67+

TAYLOR George to Feb/1872

WASPER Henry Feb/1871-74+

FISHER Edward 1881-91+ (age 36 in 1881Census)

HAYLLAR W C 1896+

COVEAU John 1901+

FISHER Edward 1891+ (age 46 in 1891Census)

PHILLIPS Henry 1904-05+

ELLIS Pryor William 1908+

WESSON Arthur Regent 1911-19+

HEDGES Charles Joseph 1938+

BAKER Alfred Richard 1944+

CAROLAN E J 1988+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LordHoodArms.shtml

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lordhood.html

 

Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML