Page Updated Aylesford:- Wednesday, 21 July, 2021.


Earliest 1840-

George Inn

Latest 1995+

Mill Hall Street


George Inn 1930s

Above photo circa 1930s, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

George Inn 1991

Above photo circa 1991.


From the Kentish Gazette, 25 August 1846.


An inquest was held at the "George Inn," Aylesford, on Wednesday afternoon last, before J. N. Pudlow, Esq., one of the coroners for Kent, on the body of the late Sir Charles Wetherell, Knt., whose death on Monday afternoon last, was the result of the melancholy accident already recorded in our paper.

The jury having returned from Preston Hall, the seat of C. Milner, Esq , where the body was lying, tho following evidence was taken:—

Joseph Rudge deposed he was returning to the deceased, who was about 76 years of age. Sir Charles had been to Smarden to view an estate he had thought of purchasing, and slept at the "Star Inn," Maidstone, on the night of Sunday the 9th. On Monday morning he ordered an open fly to proceed to Rochester, expressing his desire to be driven by the lower road, through Wouldham, &c. On arriving at the top of Rocky Hill, Sir Charles changed seats with witness, who was on the box, and witness sat inside. On reaching the back entrance gate of Mr. Milner's park, he felt the horse start forward, and heard Sir Charles say, "Whoa, whoa," when immediately the carriage upset. Witness sprung to his feet immediately, when he found Sir Charles on his back, apparently insensible. A woman having been despatched for a surgeon, he was conveyed to Mr. Milner’s house, Preston Hall, where he remained till his death. The driver was perfectly sober.

Eliza Jones examined:- Was coming from Mr. Milner’s lodge on the day in question, when a carnage passed her. Immediately it had passed her the horse took fright, and the carriage was overturned. By desire of the coachman she fetched Mr. Dennis, surgeon, of Aylesford.

John Brazier, of Maidstone, postboy, stated:— On the rooming of Monday, the 10th, he was ordered out with an open fly to convey Sir Charles Wetherell to Rochester. Sir Charles got outside on reaching Rocky Hill, and witness turned down the lane to Aylesford, and on approaching the back entrance to Sir. Milner’s, the flies being troublesome, the mare got her tail over the reins, and on witness loosening them to disentangle them, the mare naturally slightly increased her pace. This apparently frightened Sir Charles, who caught hold of the off rein, and immediately the horse started, and drew the carriage over a heap of stones lying at the side of the road, when the wheel ran up an iron which supported the railings, and overturned the carriage. Witness fell upon Sir Charles who fell on the side of his head, and upon his back. He appeared insensible, but slightly recovered, and walked across to the lodge gate, when he said, "Let’s go on." He, however, got worse, and was placed on cushions till a surgeon arrived. Witness was confident the accident would not have happened had not Sir Charles taken hold of the reins. Had driven the mare nearly two years; she was perfectly quiet, and stopped on the carriage overturning, though the harness was cut entirely away.

Ralph Dennis, surgeon, of Aylesford, stated he was sent for shortly after nine o'clock on the morning of Monday, the 10th, and on arriving at the Preston Hall back gates, found Sir Charles sitting in the road, supported by cushions—he appeared insensible. There was a considerable wound on the lip, and contusion on the left side of the head and the back. Witness proceeded to Preston Hall, where by the consent of Mr. Milner he was removed. Sir Charles partially recovered sensibility on the fourth day, but subsequently relapsed, and died at twenty minutes past five on Monday the 17th. Considers death to have ensued from concussion of the brain—no bones were broken. Sir Benjamin Brodie, Dr. Taylor, and Mr. Golding attended Sir Charles, but slight hopes were entertained of his recovery.

The Jury without hesitation, returned a verdict of "Death from Conclusion of the Brain, from an accidental fall."

The Jury expressed their high sense of the kindness of C. Milner, Esq., of Preston Hall, whose conduct towards the unfortunate deceased gentlemen was most hospitable.


From the Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, 27th September 1853.

Henry French, George Inn, Mill Hall.

Information from Peter Moynihan.

French sold the brewery plant from the pub when he left in 1853; including a ‘140 gallon copper as fixed, 70 gallon ditto, 2-quarter mash tub, 2-tun tubs, 4 coolers,2 malt mills, 3 beer pipes, 2 puncheons, 1 hogshead, 12 barrels, 6 kilderkins, 10 firkins, 25 pins, stalders, 4 brewing pails, copper pump, pipes, &c. &c.’

Mill Hall was in the area where Aylesford Station now stands; the George continued, and later formed part of the tied estate of Messrs. Style & Winch.


Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 17 March 1857.

Uttering counterfeit coin.

Joanna Sexton, 22, Catherine Driscoll, 40, and Michael Coulter, 37, hawker, for uttering three counterfeit half crowns, well knowing the same to be counterfeit, at Birling, on the 4th and 5th March.

The two females pleaded guilty.

Sarah Bath stated that her husband kept a public house at Mill Hall, near Aylesford. On 5th March, a female went in. She could not say whether it was either of the prisoners. She served her with some bread, &c, amounting to 5 1/2d. She tended half a crown in payment and receive the change. After the woman left, she discovered the half crown was bad. She had received no half crown from anyone else. She gave it to her niece.

Ann Constable, niece to the last witness, stated that Sexton was the woman who was served by her aunt with the bread. She took the half crown which she received from her aunt to her uncle.

Stephen Bath stated that he received a half crown from the last witness, and gave it to the constable. From what his niece told him, he went in the direction of Aylesford in search of the woman who had passed it. He saw the two female prisoners ahead of him. His niece pointed out the woman who had passed the half crown, and then he sent her back. He continued to follow the woman. He saw the male prisoner sitting by the roadside, and, on being joined by the woman, they all three walked away together towards Aylesford.

Henry Hilton, constable, apprehended the prisoners.

Thomas Groombridge, baker, Aylesford, stated that on 5th March Driscoll went into the shop and bought a loaf of bread, and paid for it with a bad half crown.

Three months' hard labour each.


South Eastern Gazette 26 May 1857.


May 21, at Wormshill, Kent, by the Rev. R. J. Dolling, Mr. G. W. Fuller, of the "George Inn," Aylesford, to Mary Ann, fourth daughter of the late Mr. John Hollands, farmer, of Hollingbourne, Kent.


The Maidstone Journal reported his Inquest. Henry Baker, died 1886.


On Sunday last a fatal accident occurred near Aylesford bridge. It appears that a man named Henry Baker, aged 25 years, with four others started in a barge boat about three o'clock in the afternoon from Aylesford bridge, and proceeded up the river as far as Allington Locks. They then commenced their return, and were joined by two other men in another man. At the "Forstal" the two men left their boat and got into the other, making seven.

When nearing Aylesford bridge, the men all got on one side of the craft, and the consequence was that it upset. Each of the men could swim with the exception of Henry Baker. They reached the bank in safety, and the "long 'un", as Baker was called, was missed. Search was made and the drags used.

A man named Webster saw Baker go under the bridge with his arms up, and the body was shortly afterwards found on the other side of the bridge in a place known as "Aylesford hole". Everything was done to preserve life, but without effect.

The Inquest was held at the "George Inn," Aylesford, on Wednesday, by the county coroner, Mr T. Buss. Evidence was given by Richard Baker (brother of the deceased), and George Tobin, who were in the boat at the time; James Goldsmith, who witnessed the occurrence from the bank; Frederick Webster, the man who recovered the body; and by Dr Muirhead as to the cause of death. Goldsmith stated that the men in the boat were skylarking at the time of the accident, but this was denied by Baker and Tobin.

A verdict of "Accidentally drowned" was returned. The deceased was a single man, residing in Aylesford, and had worked for Mr Verrall, sand merchant of Aylesford, but at the time of his death was employed at the Aylesford Potteries."


There is a little bit of confusion over the licensees of this and the "George Hotel." Hopefully this will be sorted one day.



FRENCH John 1840-41+ (age 50 in 1841Census)

FRENCH Henry 1851-53+ (age 28 in 1851Census not son)

BATH Stephen 1857-61+

CORDINGBEY Solomon to Nov/1870 Maidstone Telegraph

TOMLIN Edward Nov/1870-74+ (age 32 in 1871Census) Maidstone Telegraph

GOODHEW James 1881+ (age 46 in 1881Census)

HOGWOOD Stephen John 1891-1903 (age 52 in 1891Census) (died in 1903 aged 74) Kelly's 1903

DAVEY Frank 1922-30+

PEAK Emily E Mrs 1938+

WALSH James 1971-95+



Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Maidstone TelegraphMaidstone Telegraph

Maidstone and Kentish JournalMaidstone and Kentish Journal


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-