Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 March, 2022.


Earliest ????

Fountain Inn

Open 2020+

30 High Street


01342 850528

Fountain 1909

Above postcard circa 1909, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.


Above postcard, date unknown, kindly sent by Mark Jennings.

Fountain 1952

Above postcard, circa 1952, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Fountain 1955

Above photo, 1955, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Fountain 2016

Above photo, 2016.

Cowden sign 2016

Above sign, 2016.


 According to Michael David Mirams in his book "Kent Inns and Inn Signs," at Cowden on the Kent/Sussex border, there was an actual roadside fountain in Roman times, used by travellers on the main highway; the "Fountain Inn" recalls this ancient place of refreshment.

Part of the building dates back to the eighteenth century.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier 27 June, 1873. Price 1d.


Application was made by Mr. Elliott, manager to Messrs. Kelsey, brewers, of Tonbridge Wells, for the transfer of the "Fountain Inn," Cowden, from Robert King to Jesse Stemp. The license of the "Royal Oak Inn," Southborough, was transferred from Thomas Chapman to Thomas Box. The certificate of the "Rose and Crown" beerhouse, Hadlow, was transferred from the trustee under liquidation by arrangement of the effects of Henry Seager to Rickard Larkin, and that of the "Prince of Wales" beerhouse, Hadlow, from Edward Paries to Charles Heath.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, Friday 23 January 1874.

Tonbridge Petty sessions. Tuesday, January 23rd.

Temporary authorities.

The Bench granted temporary authority to Joseph Cook (transferred from Jesse Stamp) to sell at the "Fountain Inn," Cowden.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, Friday 30 January 1874.

Tonbridge Petty sessions. Transfers.

The licence of the "Fountain Inn," Cowden, from John Cook to Jesse Stemp.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 16 September, 1874.

Cowden. An Unsubstantiated Charge Against The Publican.

Joseph Cook, innkeeper, of Cowden, was summoned for unlawfully selling half a pint of gin to James Spittles, during prohibited hours, at Cowden, on Sunday, 2nd of August last.

Mr. Palmer defended.

James Spittles, labourer, of Cowden, said he knew nothing about the case. He did not go near the defendant's house - the "Fountain" - on the 2nd August. He was not there during unlawful hours. At 1:30 he saw the defendant in his own house.

The Chairman cautioned witness, for one minute he said he never saw the defendant, and the next he said he did.

Mr. Palmer:- He would have been my witness if the other side had not called him.

Witness:- I had a pint of ale there. I had nothing else. I had no gin. I don't know whether anybody else had any. I never saw any to my recollection.

The Chairman again cautioned the witness, and told him he must know whether he saw any gin or not.

Witness:- I did not see any. I never saw anything but ale. There were several others their drinking. I paid for the ale. I am sure I did not go there before 1:30.

Superintendent Dance:- Did you get drunk that morning?

Mr. Palmer objected, and said it was a well-known rule of law that complainant nor his attorney could cross examine his own witness.

The Chairman coincided with Mr. Palmer.

The Clerk (Mr. Walker) said that Superintendent Dance could ask any questions about the sale of gin.

By Superintendent Dance:- I have seen Constable Baker about this.

Mr. Palmer again objected, but the Bench ruled that the witness should be considered as hostile, and that he could be cross-examined.

By Superintendent Dance:- Baker met me one night after I have been thrashing. I told him I had some gin.

I never went there on the second day of August. I didn't tell him that. I told him I had some gin on the Saturday night. That was the 8th, I believe. I saw Baker on the Wednesday following that. I did not tell him I went with a man named Heasemore and another man into a wood and drank gin there. We were in a field near a wood. I told him that. I did not tell him it was on the Sunday morning. I did not mention a word about Sunday morning. I am certain I did not tell him that it was Sunday morning, 2nd August. I did not tell him I had half a pint of gin. I did tell him that when I was brought forward I would speak the truth. I did not tell him I paid for the gin. Heasmore and the other man and myself were not drunk. I did not see the constable on Sunday, 2nd August. I have not had any conversation with the landlord respecting this case, nor has he promised me anything for coming here today.

By Mr. Palmer:- I have been summoned here today to be a witness on behalf of the prosecution.

P.C. Baker was called in, and Superintendent Dance asked that the evidence should be read over to him.

Mr. Palmer objected, as Mr. Dance himself asked that the witnesses should be out of court.

Superintendent Dance said he could not carry the case any further. It was entirely through this man that the defendant had been brought up.

The Chairman said they dismissed the case, and as the witness Spittles had given his evidence in such a disgraceful way, they should not allow him anything for his attendance.

Superintendents Dance:- Unfortunately I have paid him 2s. We are satisfied these men were as drunk as  possible, that they fetched drink from the house, and drank it in the wood.


From the By Cameron Hogwood, 29 July 2019.

Kent's Rob Cross wins the PDC World Matchplay darts title after beating Michael Smith.

Kent's Rob Cross was crowned the PDC World Matchplay darts champion after beating Michael Smith 18-13 on Sunday evening.

The Pembury-born 28-year-old, whose home town is Edenbridge, cruised to a nine leg lead before seeing Smith pull it back to 15-13.

He then claimed the next three legs to seal the win and a prize of 150,000 at Blackpool's Winter Gardens.

Rob Cross 2017

Rob Cross, left, pictured with Merlins Entertainment's Lee Dunn and her nephew Gary after winning the Sheppey Darts Classic in June 2017. Picture: Tony Cox.

Cross turned professional in 2016 having previously worked as an electrician and played local league darts from the age of 15.

New Year's Day 2018 saw him beat 16-time world champion Phil Taylor 7-2 in the Power's last match before retiring to win the PDC world title and pocket 400,000.

His latest success means he sits among the likes of Taylor, Michael van Gerwen and Gary Anderson as a double winner.

It also marks his first title victory since the Brisbane Darts Masters in August last year.

Cross told the PDC website: "It feels amazing. I'm lost for words - so happy that I've won this title.

"It was a weird game. I went so far in front and towards the end I switched off, so the double 16 to put me 17-13 up was what won it for me.

"Michael played great darts all week but he struggled on doubles tonight and it made me more edgy. He came back well but I had to stay calm."

His semi-final against Daryl Gurney had seen him fight back from 14-7 and 15-9 down to win eight consecutive legs and take the match 17-15.

Cross first started out with Edenbridge team The "Swan" and Cowden's The "Fountain," playing in the Edenbridge & Oxted League on a Monday.

He also honed his craft in the Sevenoaks Charity Darts League on a Tuesday as well as the Crawley Friday Darts League.



SIMMINS George 1858+

HOLLANDS Henry 1862+

KING Robert to June/1873 Next pub licensee had Kent and Sussex Courier

STEMP Jesse June/1873-Jan/74 Kent and Sussex Courier

COOK Joseph Jan/1874+ Kent and Sussex Courier

NOYES George 1881-91+ (also bricklayer age 60 in 1881Census)

BINGHAM Jesse 1903+ Kelly's 1903

GRIMES William 1913-22+

GRIFFIN Rhonda to Sept/1928 Kent and Sussex Courier

PIPER Stanley Warren Oct/1928+ Kent and Sussex Courier

KING Alfred to Mar/1934 Kent and Sussex Courier

PIPER Stanley Warren Mar/1934+ Kent and Sussex Courier


Kent and Sussex CourierKent and Sussex Courier

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-