Page Updated:- Tuesday, 04 October, 2022.


Earliest 1870

(Name from)

Fleur de Lys

Open 2020+

High Street


01732 832283

Fleur de Lys 1912

Above postcard, circa 1912, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Fleur de Lys 1920

Above postcard, circa 1920, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe. Also showing the "Brickmaker's Arms."

Fleur de Lys

Above photo, date unknown.

Above postcard, date unknown, showing the pub on the right, kindly sent by Mark Jennings.

Fleur de Lys sign 1991

Above sign, August 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


Built in 1855 by Thomas Baily and I believe was originally known as the "Baily Arms" before soon after opening in 1870 was renamed the "Fleur de Lis."


From the

Fleur-de-Lis and Fleur-de-Lis Cottages.

Thomas Baily built four cottages on the corner between the High Street and Lower Green in 1855. These four cottages were bought in 1870 by Bartum and Co., brewers of Tonbridge. Later in the same year the cottage nearest Lower Green was extended by a wing of similar design and with the adjacent cottage became a public house, taking a transfer of the licence once held by the "Porcupine" and later the "Goats Head." The two cottages to the east of the "Fleur de Lys" were later sold to Samuel Morley. At approximately the same time that Thomas Baily erected the four cottages in High Street, two of which were later extended as described. He purchased Home Farm at which time he rebuilt the front of the farmhouse and in the same year he built Laundry Cottage as a bakery.

Between 1911 and 1921 the licensees of the "Fleur de Lis Hotel" were Polly (nee Rumley) and James Henry Jones and where Beryl Pawsey (nee Jones) was born in 1920, although she was only 18 months when her parents moved from Leigh. When Polly and James Henry were licensees the "Fleur" was owned by the Dartford Brewery.

James Henry Jones and wife Polly 1911

Above photo circa 1911 showing licensees James Henry Jones and his wife Polly.




WESTON Luke 1881 (age 28 in 1881Census)

BING-FOORD Stephen R 1903+ Kelly's 1903

OFFEN George 1911 (age 66 in 1911Census)

JONES James Henry 1911-21

COATES Florence Mrs 1930-38+


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-