Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1849-

White Lion

Latest ????

(Name to)

Farnborough Common


White Lion 1865

Above photo 1865.

White Lion

Above postcard, date unknown.

White Lion 1905

Above postcard, 1905.

White Lion 1911

Above postcard, circa 1911, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Whyte Lion

Above postcard, date unknown. The spelling was given as "Whyte Lion" on the postcard.

Whyte Lion

Above photo, date unknown.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Tuesday 13 March 1849.

Inn and Posting House To Let.

The "White Lion," at Locksbottom, Farnborough Kent, 13 miles on the Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Hastings Road, with possession at Ladyday, consisting of the Inn, with yard. stabling, and coach-houses, together with the Tap, about 2 acres of meadow land, and good garden.

For further particulars and to treat for the same apply to Mr. William Stow, Land Agent, Farnborough, near Bromley, Kent.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Saturday 26 June 1869.

Extraordinary charge of assault.

William Whitehead, Arthur Whitehead, and Charles Edmunds, was severely charged with assaulting William Wilson, on Sunday evening, 20th June, and also with damaging his coat.

Mr. Alsop appeared for the defendants.

Prosecutor stated he was a bricklayer, residing at Masons Hill, Bromley. On Sunday evening, at 10 o'clock, he was at the "White Lion," Locksbottom, and met with defendants, and they had a dispute about some donkeys. He afterwards left them to go home.

On arriving at the "Plough Tavern," Bromley Common, he and his two friends went in and asked for some whisky, but as it was past 11 they were not served. His friends went on ahead, and he followed them. Shortly after William Whitehead overtook him, then turned around and whistled, and instantly "let drive at him" cutting his lip. The other defendants then came up, with several others not known, and they all pitched into him, tearing his coat completely in two.

Mr. Alsop cross-examined the complainant, setting up a defence that he had thrown a large flint stone at William Whitehead, and that he also took out a knife with the intention of stabbing him, at the same time cutting his thumb.

Prosecuted denied the statement, and called as a witness, Charles Julian, who said he resided at Bromley, and was in company
with his friend Wilson on the evening in question, and he could positively swear that his friend neither threw a stone nor had a knife with him. Witness also prove the assault as stated by prosecutor.

Joseph Whitmore, also residing at Bromley, who was present at the assault, identified William Whitehead as the first man who struck Wilson, and also identified the other two defendants as coming up after William Whitehead had whistled, both of them likewise striking the complainant. Complainants neither threw a stone or had a knife in his possession.

Mr. Alsop, on behalf of defendant, stated that on the previous evening, about 11:30, a great commotion was heard among some ducks in a pond belonging to Mr. Woodnough, proprietor of the "Plough Tavern." Mr. Woolnough jun., ran out and found the complainant Wilson lying down near the pond, and at the same time he saw a dog belonging to the complainant come out of the pond. He asked complainant what his intention was, and he instantly got up and walked away. Mr. Woolnough believing it was the intention of the complainant to steal his father's ducks called for assistance, and the defendant's instantly gave chase, and overtook complainant and his friends, which caused the disturbance in question.

Police constable J. Sims 23P, stated he was on duty at Bromley Common on the night in question, and heard a great disturbance. He went to the place where the row was and saw the defendant and complainant fighting. Defendant wanted to give plaintiff into custody for attempting to steal some ducks, but he used his own discretion and took defendants into custody for assaulting the complainant.

P.C. 376P., corroborated the last witness's statement, and said that he saw W. Whitehead on the top of the complainant, striking him, and the other defending, Arthur Whitehead, also came up and struck him while he was on the ground.

Mr. Walnut Woolnough was called for the defence, and stated that on the Sunday evening his uncle came in and said there was a dog in the pond after the ducks. He went out and saw the complainant lying down by the palings, about 5 yards from the pond. He asked complainant what he was doing, and he instantly jumped up and ran across the road. He called to the defendants, who at once gave chase, and that was the cause of the disturbance.

The court was then cleared, and on being reopened the chairman said the defendants stood convicted of assaulting a stranger from a distant County, who was in Bromley holding a respectable position; and it was fortunate for them that they had not individually accused the complainants of using a knife, for there was not the least evidence to prove such an accusation. William Whitehead would have to pay a fine of 1, 3 s. 4d. damages, and 3s. 2d. costs. Arthur Whitehead the same, and Edmunds, who was also present at the assault, 10s., with damages and costs.


From Maidstone and Kentish Journal, 24th January 1895.


On Friday afternoon, Mr Carter held an inquest at the "White Lion," Locksbottom, as to the death of a man named William Wood, who had died in the workhouse on Wednesday. Henry Wood, residing in a street of Clare Market, said the deceased, who was a blacksmith and Bell hanger, was 55 years of age. He lived at the "Foresters Arms," High Street, Beckenham; he has lived there for over 20 years. He last saw the deceased about a fortnight before Christmas; he was then in his usual health.

PC Wright, 247P, stationed at Beckenham, said at 9:45 a.m. on the 14th inst, he saw the deceased leaning against a fence in High Street, Beckenham. He went to him, and noticed that he was ill asked what was the matter. He said he had lost the use of his legs. Witnessed fetched the ambulance, and Dr. Stillwell, the divisional surgeon, was called. He ordered his removal to the workhouse infirmary, and this witness took him there in a cab at once. Deceased rambled that little but said he had been in a lodging house in Aspley Road, Penge. Deceased said he had pains in his legs, and said he was not in want of food. He said he had two brothers, but gave addresses which were empty houses. Witness had known the deceased 6 or 7 years.

By a Juryman:- Deceased did not complain of having been ill treated.

Daniel Dinan, gate-porter at the Union Workhouse, said when the deceased was brought to the house by the last witness, at 11:40 a.m., he seemed to be rambling, and gave the name of a son Robert, at Cooper Lane, Hannington, Norfolk, but the address was wrong. Elizabeth Amelia Green, day nurse at the Union Workhouse (male ward), said the deceased was brought to the ward at 11:55 a.m. on the 14th inst. He appeared unconscious, and never rallied. He died at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday. Dr Alexander Shannon, medical officer at the workhouse, said he saw the deceased at 10 a.m. on Monday. He was then in a deplorable half delirious condition. He was very dirty, his body was not emancipated. He rallied for a short time, but inflammation of the lungs came on, and he gradually succumbed. He said he had undergone much hardship, and his neglected condition bore that out. The corpes bore no marks and violence, but was covered with vermin bites. The internal organs, with the exception of the lungs, were healthy. They were old pleuritic adhesions, and considerable pneumonia of two of the three days duration; it had been coming on on the day he was admitted to the infirmary. He attributed death to exhaustion and inflammation of the lungs, occurring in an enfeebled condition. Pneumonia would arise from self neglect and exposure. The inability to move his legs would arise from rheumatism.

In answer to the coroner, the officer said that he had made enquiry at Clark Market, and at the beer house where the deceased lodged, and learns that he had been wandering about for 20 years.

Mr Gregory, master of the workhouse, said when the deceased was admitted he had two shillings 2d on his person. He was unconscious, and gave an address of a son at Norfolk, but a letter sent there had been returned to the Dead Letter Office.

The jury found verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.


As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation. Every email is answered and all information referenced to the supplier.

This page will be updated as soon as further information is found.




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-