DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Greenwich, October, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 14 October, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1826-

(Name from)

Sugar Loaf

Latest ????

6 (12) Billingsgate Street

Greenwich

Sugar Loaf

Above photo, circa 1900, kindly sent by Richard Evans. Showing the staff of Mr. Huntley, the coal merchant, waiting for the doors of the "Sugar Loaf" beerhouse in Billingsgate Street to open, while others pose nonchalantly for the camera. The beerhouse is dirty and neglected - even its pub sign has gone. Beside the pub is the beginning of the narrow alleyway, Dark Entry, also known as Sugar Loaf Alley, which led to Brewhouse Lane.

Greenwich map 1893

Above map 1893 showing the location of "Fubb's Yacht." "Sugar Loaf," "Ship Tavern."

 

A John Watts listed here in 1826 is also mentioned as having the "Black Jack and Shovel" on 1823 so he either moved from that establishment or changed the name of the premises.

 

 

LICENSEE LIST

Last pub licensee had WATTS John Giles 1826-32+

STOCKWELL C J 1852+

PAYNE Christopher Sept/1854-Aug/1855 West Kent Guardian

RAYNES Philip Aug/1855-58+

FORREST William Sexton 1861-74+ (also waterman age 45 in 1861Census)

HOWELL Robert G to May/1881+ (age 44 in 1881Census) Kentish Mercury

SHAKESPEARE William May/1881+ Kentish Mercury

MAKEPIECE Robert 1882+

SCOTT Harry 1891+ (age 43 in 1891Census)

BROWN George 1896+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/SugarLoaf.shtml

 

CensusCensus

Kentish MercuryKentish Mercury

West Kent GuardianWest Kent Guardian

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML