DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1826

Eagle Tavern

Latest 1969

73 New Road

Gravesend

Eagle Tavern

Above photo date unknown. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

 

The building was demolished shortly after its closure in 1969 to become the site of Tesco's.

 

Black Eagle Journal.

T C Walter, died in 1964. His first licence was at the "Campbell Arms," Gravesend in 1906; then three other licences before moving to the Eagle in 1926; the Eagle has been occupied by his family since 1903. Mrs E R Woolley, his daughter has managed the Eagle for her father for the past 25 years

 

LICENSEE LIST

WARD Thomas 1832-40+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

WARD John R N 1855-82+ (age 36 in 1861Census)

CLARK Henry James 1891+

BYHURST William 1901-03+ (age 42 in 1901Census)

WHIFFEN Alfred 1913+

JOHNSTONE Andrew Paul 1922+

Last pub licensee had WALTER T C 1926+

WALTER Andrew C 1930-38+

http://www.pubshistory.com/EagleTavern.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML