Page Updated:- Tuesday, 04 October, 2022.


Earliest 1729

George Inn

(Name to)

Open 2022+

The Street (Forstal Road 1891Census)


01233 756 304

George Inn 1904

Above postcard, postmarked 1904.

George Inn 1951

Above postcard, circa 1951, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

George 2009

Above Google image, March 2009.

Photo taken 1 September 2010 from Jeremy Sage.

George sign 1951

Above sign 1951.

George Inn sign 2011George sign 2015

Above sign left, 2011, sign right, 2015.


The "George Inn" was originally built in 1576 during the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st and has been altered and added to over the centuries. A Richard Turk was first granted a licence to sell ale in 1729 and was granted a further licence to sell wine in 1743. It was at this time that the pub was officially registered as The George.

During the second world war the 127 Wing of the Royal Canadian Air Force Association was based near here and the pilots used he "George" as their local. When David Drew was landlord in the 70s and 80s he was an honorary "Red Indian" pilot and gathered mementoes and signatures of pilots. He displayed these around the pub and many can still be seen today.


Kentish Gazette, 25 January, 1870.


At the Ashford Petty Sessions on Tuesday last, before H. B. Walker, Esq., (Chairman), tha Earl of Mount Charles, E. C. Dering, and W. D. Walker Esqrs., Joseph Gore, the son of a farmer at Egerton, was brought up on a warrant charged with night poaching on the estate of Sir Edward Cholmoley During, Bart., at Pluckley. Mr. Dering withdrew from the Bench during the hearing of this case, which drew a large number of persons to the Court.

The prisoner asked to have the case adjourned, as he should be able to produce witnesses who would prove an alibi. He said he went down to Egerton Forstal at seven o'clock in the evening, and had several games of cards at the house of a young man named George Brunger. He then went to a beer-shop and had a pint of beer, and thence to the "George Inn" at Egerton-street, where he remained till twelve o'clock, and then went home to bed.

The mother of the prisoner said that her son was taken from the house and driven away in the night, so that there had been no time to get evidence to answer the charge.

The Bench decided to hear the evidence for the prosecution, and they could then decide whether an adjournment was necessary.

Robert Sage, under-keeper to Sir Edward Dering, deposed:- On Saturday night from a quarter to eight to a quarter past eight o'clock, I heard a gun fire in a piece of wood called Faggoter's Wood, in the parish of Pluckley, and belonging to Sir Eward Dering. I ran in the direction from which I heard the gun, and Richard Powle, who was with me, followed me up. When I was within sixty yards of the wood, I saw Gore come out of it.—

(Gore:- I was not there at all, so you could not see me come out).
Gore came about fifteen yards towards me, and as soon as he saw who it was he ran down the road, and I called out, "Stop him down the road." He then jumped the hedge and ran along a piece of wheat belonging to Mr. George Barnes, and I pursued him. I got within about fifteen or twenty yards of him, when he turned round und said, "Stand back you ------ or else I'll shoot you." He had a double barrelled gun in his hand. I replied, "All right, Joe; shoot and be ------. I am going to follow you up if I can." He then ran into a shave and I lost him.

By the Court:- I have known the prisoner for eight years, and I have no doubt whatever in my mind that it was him I saw and spoke to about five minutes before I heard the gun fire I saw Gore and a man named Clarke Wood coming in the direction from Gore's house towards this wood. I and Fowle laid up in the hedge, and they passed as. I heard one of them say, "There are some birds (meaning pheasants) gone up in the firs to-night."

Richard Fowle, deposed to the same effect. The observation about the birds was made by Gore, as witness knew Gore's voice. They went up and spoke to Clarke Wood (Gore having then left him in the road), and in reply to Sage, Wood said he did not know who it was who had passed. While Sage was pursuing the man who came out of the wood, he called out "Look out down the shave," and afterwards "Look out down Monday Boys Wood." Witness, who was following Sage up, accordingly ran towards Monday Boys Wood, and in a clover ley he saw Joseph Gore running. Witness got within two yards of Gore, who then turned round and pointed a gun at witness. Witness held a stick up to push the gun away, exclaiming, "It’s you, Joe, is it?" Gore then walked off in the direction of Monday Boys Wood. Witness had known the prisoner for seventeen or eighteen years, and had no doubt whatever about him. He was dressed in a twill jacket and cap.

Richard Buss, of Pluckley, labourer, was standing at his door with a lantern when he heard the gun fire, and in a moment or two some one coming down the road shouting "stop him." He called his employer, Mr. Barnes, and they joined in the chase. He heard the man they were pursuing tell Sage to stand back or he would shoot him, but he did not identify the man as the prisoner.

The magistrates adjourned the further hearing of the case until to-day; and the prisoner was liberated on bail, two respectable persons coming forward as his sureties in 50 each, and he also entering into his own recognizance in 50.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 2 July 1870.


At the Ashford Petty Sessions, on Tuesday last, Joseph Gore, son of a farmer at Egerton, and himself a married man, was summoned for assaulting Edward Turk. There was a large number of persons from Egerton and neighbourhood in court to hear the case. The complainant deposed that he was in the smoking room of the "George Inn," at Egerton, when defendant came and said he had heard Turk, wanted to fight him, and although he denied having done so. Gore seized him by the ear, twisted his head round and struck him several blows in the face, blacking his eye. A good many witnesses were called on each side, and it appeared that an ill-feeling existed between the parties in consequence of Turk having given certain information which had led to a charge of perjury being preferred against a person who had given evidence on Gore’s behalf, when the latter was charged with poaching a few months since. It was said that a man named Smith said Turk had told lies in the matter, and thereupon Turk pulled Smith’s nose, and Gore, in return, twisted Turk’s ear. Gore was fined 2 and 1 13s. 6d. costs, which he paid, and was also bound over, himself in 50 and two sureties of 20 each, to keep the peace for six months.


In December 2016 it changed name to the "Barrow House" but in 2022 it reverted back to its original name again.



TURK Richard 1729-43+ (age 35 in 1841Census)

AMOS Edward 1851-58+ (age 45 in 1851Census)

DAVIS David S 1861+ (age 34 in 1861Census)

ODDEN Edmund 1871+ (age 26 in 1871Census)

HARRISON Thomas 1881-1903+ (age 78 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

HARRISON Annie (daughter) 1911-18+ (age 48 in 1911Census)

WOOD Clarke 1930-38+

DREW David 1970s-80s


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-