Page Updated:- Friday, 22 April, 2022.


Earliest ????

Ferry House Inn

Open 2022+

Harty Ferry Road


01795 510 214

Ferry House Inn 1955

Above photo, circa 1955, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ferry House Inn 1956

Above drawing, circa 1956, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ferry Inn

Above postcard, date unknown, kindly sent by Debi Birkin.

Ferry Inn 1970

Above photo taken from the still of a film circa 1970.

Photo taken 20 August 2011 from by Dayoff171.

Ferry House Inn

Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Garth Wyver.

Ferry House Inn sign 1986

Above sign, August 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Ferry Inn Advert

Above advert, date unknown. By kind permission of Trevor Edwards.


Dover Express, Friday 1 May 1914.

Explosives factory in the Isle of Sheppey.

An explosives factory is to be established at Harty, Isle of Sheppey, by Messrs. Noble (Limited). The site selected is about 3 miles from the Naval Aerodrome and Royal Aero Club's flying grounds at Eastchurch. The Company has applied to the Board of Trade for permission to construct a pier extending about 1,400 feet below high water south east of Bells Creek, at the western end of hearty, and a pier extending about 1,700 feet west of the "Ferry House," Harty, in a southerly direction across the Lily Banks into the middle of the channel of the Swale, turning eastward parallel to the course of the channel for about 700 feet. It is stated that the factory will give employment to about 1,500 hands.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 17th August 1946.

Country Magazine, Isle of Sheppey.

A bar of a centuries old inn, situated on the banks of the River Swale in the Isle of Sheppey, became a B.B.C. studio on Sunday for the broadcast of "Country Magazine Program."

It is the "Ferry House Inn," Harty, and apart from the people on the island and yachtsman who sail up the Swale, few others know of its existence, as it is on the marshes four miles from the nearest road.

Local legends have it that the in was the haunt of smugglers that Mr. Marshall Pollock, who owns it, has found nothing to confirm this.

It was originally built to house workers from the farms on the marshes round about, and in the bar where this broadcast took place you can still see the lodgers' lockers where they kept their food and a stoves on which they cooked it.

The "Ferry House" kept its name from the ferry which runs between Harty, Isle of Sheppey and Faversham (Kent,) on the mainland.

Joe Dane has been a ferry man for many years. Listeners heard stories of "Dirty Crossings" from Joe who also remembers a former landlady at the inn, waiting at the foot of the stairs at closing time to collect the four pence from the lodgers before they retired.

Dane also talked about the bird life on the marshes, where teal, wild duck and other birds abound.

Other speakers included a farmer from the marshes, Mr. Marshall Pollock, a ship-builder from Faversham, who brought the "Ferry House" in 1937 to popularize the Swale among yachtsman, and several other local characters.

These were brought to the microphone by John Snagge, and the music under the direction of Francis Collison, was provided by two fiddles, a concertina and a piano. The folk song in this programme was one which Collison discovered on the Isle of Sheppey and was called "Tarry Trousers."


From an email received 21 June, 2017.

My mother told was that when a child she and cousins went for a boat ride from Elmley, (her uncle was ferryman) along the Swale, they got caught in a squall and had to pull up at the "Ferry House." The inn wasn't occupied. Uncle broke the window and they stayed the night until the sea calmed. This would've been in the early 1920s.

In the late 1950s the Short Bros Flying Boat "Golden Hind" was on display on the water outside the pub. It had broken adrift from Rochester and was aground at the slipway near "Ferry House."

Golden Hind flying boat

Garth Wyver.

Blackheath NSW.




MARSHALL George 1858-61+ (age 64 in 1861Census)

MARSHALL Richard 1903+ Kelly's 1903


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-