DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Crayford, May, 2019.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 May, 2019.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1864-

Crayford Arms

Open 2006+

37 (17 in 1881Census) High Street

Crayford

Crayford Arms 1894

Above photo, circa 1894, kindly sent by Shaun Gardiner.

Crayford Arms 2006

Above photo 2006 by Dave Patten Creative Commons Licence.

Crayford Arms

Above photo, date unknown, kindly taken and sent by Brian Brockie.

Crayford Arms 2014

Above Google image, June 2014.

 

Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser 04 March 1872.

CRAYFORD. THANKSGIVING DAY.

The only celebration of this day were a special service in the parish church, and a display of coloured lamps at the "Crayford Arms."

 

(Information below from Brian Brockie, 2017.)

The pub dates from around 1864 when the site footprint was redeveloped and one half of the corner house built there was used as a beer shop and eventually emerged as a fully fledged pub. Originally built from a group of cottages, the building was further extended in 1936. Its current location is at number 37 (17 in 1881 Census). The arms depicted on the present sign are those of the Draper family who owned the manor of Howbury (Slade Green) until the early 17th century. The earliest known owners were Crowley’s, a Croydon brewery. In 1936, renowned local brewers Redfells, who extended the building further into Bexley Lane, owned the pub. In the 1980s, the British World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Lennox Lewis lived at the Arms and was known to have trained and boxed there.

 

LICENSEE LIST

BROWN Albert 1874+

WILKINSON William 1881+ (age 39 in 1881Census)

HENDEN Thomas 1891-96+ (age 30 in 1891Census)

BUTLER Arthur 1901+ (age 27 in 1901Census)

READLE George 1903+

COURT George Harry 1913-30+

HARPER Daniel Fras 1938+

http://pubshistory.com/CrayfordArms.shtml

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML