DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Monday, 06 December, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1901-

(Name from)

Pier Hotel

Open 2020+

Albion Place

Lower Upnor

01634 717317

https://whatpub.com/pier

Pier Hotel 1907

Above postcard between 1907 and 1911.

Pier Hotel 1910

Above photo, circa 1910.

Pier 1914

Above photo, 1914, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Pier Hotel 1935

Above postcard, circa 1935, kindly sent by Shaun Frayne.

Pier 2015

Above photo, February 2015, kindly sent by Roy Moore.

Pier sign 2015

Above sign, February 2015, by Roy Moore.

 

From the London Gazette, 4 June, 1869.

Near Rochester, Kent:- Desirable Freehold Estate for investment or occupation, situate in the parishes of St. Mary, Stoke, Hoo, Halstow, and Upnor, in the rich farming district of the Hundred of Hoo, comprising numerous farms, with capital farm houses, premises and labourers' cottages, enclosures of accommodation land, and the "Bell Inn," St. Mary's, containing together 1,436 acres of superior arable, pasture, meadow, and marsh land, plantation, &c., with possession. Also the well known extensive Cement Works at Upnor, on the River medway, with Upnor Lodge, The "Jolly Sailors' Inn," 2 dwelling-houses, shop, 29 cottages and garden ground, woodland &c., containing altogether 28A, 2R, 19P., let on lease to Messrs. Hilton at 324 per annum.

 

Mr. Robert Lake Cobb (of the firm of H. and R. L. Cobb), has been appointed by the Vice-Chancellor Sir John Stuart to sell by auction, at the Mart, Tokenhouse-Yard, near the bank, London, on Friday, the 23rd day of July, at twelve for one o'clock in the afternoon, in 19 lots, pursuant to an order of the High Court of Chancery, made on the matter of Arthur Davies and in the cause of Davies v. Atkinson, valuable freehold estates ion the Hundred of Hoo, near Rochester, divided as follows:-

 

Lot 19. The extensive freehold Cement Works on the banks of the River Medway at Lower Upnor, with the "Jolly Sailors' Inn" or "Pier Hotel"; 2 dwelling -houses, shop, and 29 cottages; also Upnor Lodge, with extensive lodge; about 25 acres of meadow land, ballast bank, garden, ground, and woodland, &c., containing together 50A. 1R. 24P.

 

The name changed from the "Jolly Sailor" some time after 1901 and looking at the photos of the buildings they have obviously changed a bit since 1911, but it is suggested that it is still on the same site.

Ind Coope & Co Ltd purchased the pub from Budden & Biggs Brewery Ltd by conveyance and assignment dated 23 March 1931. The pub held a full license. At the same time they also purchased the adjoining land and garden.

 

LICENSEE LIST

TURNER Edward Clifford 1901-03+ (age 48 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

WALL Horace 1913+

WARD William 1918+

WATERS Horace 1922+

SAGEMAN Philip John 1930+

WADHAMS James 1938+

BLACKMAN George (1935/45ish)

https://pubwiki.co.uk/PierHotel.shtml

 

CensusCensus

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML