DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest ????

Old Oak Tree

Latest ????

3 Bill Street / 37 Cooling Road

Frindsbury

37 Cooling Road 2019

Above photo 2019, kindly sent by Roger Newton, who says the building was somewhat changed in the 1970s, when some buildings at the back were removed and the extension added to the side.

Above tithe map dated 1830-40s. Showing 230 as the "Old Oak Tree," occupied by George Blackman, and 222 as the "Royal Oak," owned by John Gibbs, occupied by Mrs. Gascoyne.

Above O S map 1862. Notice the "Royal Oak" does not appear to be on the map.

Frindsbury map 1895

Above O S map 1895.

 

Maidstone Journal, February 1865.

George Hone, Landlord of the Royal Oak, Frindsbury fined 1 and 12 shillings cost for keeping beer house open during prohibited hours.

 

The property was subject to a conveyance dated 4 August 1897 between L B Biggs & J H Biggs and Budden and Biggs Brewery.

Ind Coope & Co Ltd purchased the pub from Budden & Biggs Brewery Ltd by conveyance and assignment dated 23 March 1931. The pub held a beer only license. The premises was referred to as the "Old Oak Tree" in the transaction.

Also Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd sold the property in 1954 with a covenant that it could no be used for selling alcohol.

 

LICENSEE LIST

HONE John Francis 1861-Sept/68 dec'd (also Brickmaker age 48 in 1861Census)

JOHNSON Henry 1881+ (also Labourer age 42 in 1881Census)

JONES Francis H 1901+ (also Carpenter age 36 in 1901Census)

CHAPMAN George 1938+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/OldOak.shtml

 

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML