Sort file:- Sheerness, September, 2023.

Page Updated:- Thursday, 07 September, 2023.


Earliest 1828-

Navy Arms

Latest 1883+

Sheppey Street

Blue Town



From the Maidstone Gazette and West Kent Courier, 2 February, 1827.

To Brewers, Publicans, and others.

Blue Town, Sheerness.

To be sold by auction, by J. Attwater, on Thursday the 15th day of February, 1827, at the "Upper White Horse Inn," Sheerness, at 2 o'clock in the Afternoon, by order of the executors of Mr. E. Mackett, deceased.

A leasehold estate, in four lot.

Lot 1. Comprises all that substantially brick built public house and premises, called the "Navy Arms," desirably situated in the centre of a thickly populated neighbourhood, and now in full and free trade, containing seven good square rooms, an excellent dry cellar, with stable and out-houses detached, at an improved rental of 45 per annum.

Lot 2. Is a substantially brick built Tenament, adjoining Lot 1, containing two rooms, a back court, and out-houses, realizing a rental of 3s. 6d. per week.

Lot 3. Two timber and tiled-built Tenements, with two rooms to each, at a joint rental all of 7s. per week.

Lot 4. Two Stables, on a plot of ground 17 ft. 7 in. By 90 ft. adjoining Lot 1.

The whole are built on a piece of ground 60 ft by 90 ft.


From the West Kent Guardian, 1847.

The coroner held an inquest at the "Anchor and Hope," on the body of William Scott, aged forty, seaman, belonging to Her Majesty's Ship "Ocean," who was killed in a fight with Peter Maxwell, another seaman between three and four o'clock on the previous Sunday morning, at the "Navy Arms," alias "The Never" (so called from never being closed, night or day) public house. It appeared in evidence that at the above time there were from twenty to forty persons in the taproom of the above house (some females amongst them) that more than one fight took place previous to the above, which proved fatal, that both parties were intoxicated, and that deceased first began by hitting Maxwell in the face. The jury returned a verdict of "Manslaughter" against Maxwell who was immediately committed to Maidstone gaol for trial at the next assizes. Several offices of the service were in attendance, and complained much of the want of better regulations amongst the public houses.


From the Kentish Gazette, 28 March 1848.

Manslaughter at Sheppey.

Peter Maxwell, 28, indicted for the manslaughter of William Scott, at Minster, in the Isle of Sheppey.

Sir Walter Riddle conducted the prosecution; and Mr Robinson defended the prisoner.

William Ladd deposed, that he resided at Sheerness, and was in the "Navy Arms" public house, on the night of the 17th October, in company with 20 other person's among whom were deceased and prisoner; diseased struck the prisoner three times with his hand, and prisoner returned the blows and a fight ensued; deceased laid down on the settee and appeared to be hurt, but did not make any complaint; a black man offered him some rum which deceased was unable to take, and the man said he was dying; there was a light in the room during the fight which was afterwards but out; deceased began to fight.

Cross-examined:- Prisoners did not want to fight but deceased took off his frock and insisted upon the prisoner fighting; they fell several times, but witness did not see any heavy blows truck; they were both drunk.

Thomas Watts, who was at the "Navy Arms" on the above night, stated that there were forty persons in the room, several of them were fighting before the contest between deceased and prisoner; deceased commenced the fight and they had two heavy falls, one of which was in the fireplace, there were no heavy blows, both men being too drunk.

John Lawson deposed, that saw the prisoner strike deceased a blow behind the left ear, from the effects of which he fell under the fireplace, and was unable to fight after; surgeon was then sent for.

Cross examined:- Deceased was a shipmate with him on board the "Ocean;" had been in the "Navy Arms" five or six hours, and had had a little to drink.

Mr. Heathorn White, surgeon, who made a post mortem examination of the head of the deceased, stated that he discovered a bruise behind the left ear, and on opening the skull and examining the brain found an effusion of blood at the basis, which might have been produced by blow, and was sufficient to cause death; he believed that apoplexy supervening on drunkenness would have produced the appearances on the brain; did not think the appearances behind the ear could have been caused by a fall.

Cross examined:- When he first examined the body he saw no external marks of violence; had the blow been caused by a fall against some hard substance there would have been a contusion of the skin; excitement during drunkenness would be likely to cause sudden death; the appearance he said must have been occasioned by blow; there were no bruises or fracture on any other parts of the body.

Mr Robinson address of jury for the prisoner.



Southeastern Gazette, 27 September 1853.

SITTINGBOURNE. Adjourned Licensing Meeting.

Monday being the adjourned annual licensing meeting, the magistrates were engaged a long time in issuing the licenses.

Sir Hammond applied for a license to the "Navy Arms" at Sheerness, the license of which was taken away a few years since, on account of the misconduct of the keeper.



Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 25 September 1855.

At the petty sessions on Monday, before the Rev. Dr. Poore and the Rev. G. B. Moore, licences of several innkeeper's in the district of Sittingbourne were renewed.

Charles Hammond, applied for a licence to sell excisable liquors by retail, but was refused.


From the Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 16 September, 1856.

Mr. Stephenson also appeared to support the following applications:-

Patrick Lockney, "Rose, Shamrock and Thistle," High Street, Blue Town, Sheerness; John Mills Chambers, "Good Intent," Blue Town, Sheerness; Charles Hammond, "Navy Arms," Blue Town, Sheerness.

The notices having been duly proved, the applications were referred to the Sittingbourne bench for consideration at the adjourned sittings on the 15th instant.


South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 26th January 1858.

Sittingbourne. Petty sessions, Monday.

(Before the Rev. J. Poore, D.D., chairman, Sir John Tyldn, E. Twopenny, Esq., Rev. G. B. Moore, W. Bland Esq., and J. D. Dyke, Esq.)

Charles Hammond of the "Navy Arms Inn," Sheppey Street, Sheerness, was fined 20s., costs 9s., for keeping his house open for the sale of beer, on Sunday morning the 3rd inst.


Faversham News, Saturday 24 November 1883.


The "Navy Arms," Sittingbourne from Oliver Clark to William Bailey.




BOWMAN T 1824+

GIBSON Thomas 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

MATTHEWS Thomas 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

TONG William 1840-47+

HAMMOND Charles (Sir) 1853-58+

HAMMOND Mary Ann 1861-62+ (age 50 in 1861Census)

CLARK Oliver to Nov/1883

BAILEY William Nov/1883+


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-