Page Updated:- Monday, 14 February, 2022.


Earliest ????

King's Arms

Open 2021+

2 High Street


01634 717490

King's Arms locals

Above photo showing locals outside the pub, date unknown, kindly sent by Robin Begley.

King's Arms 1911

Above postcard, 2 April 1922, kindly sent by Robin Begley.

King's Arms 2001

Above photo, May 2001, kindly sent by Philip Dymott.

Photo taken 16 November 2012 from by Dayoff171.

King's Arms 2015

Above photo, February 2015, kindly sent by Roy Moore.

King's Arms sign 2015

Above sign, February 2015, by Roy Moore.


From CITIZEN (Gloucester, England), Thursday, November 08, 1928; pg. 9; issue 165.


Fire destroyed the "King's Arms," an old inn at Upnor, Rochester, early on Wednesday. Mr. B. Ballard, the licensee, and his wife escaped from their bedroom window by a rope of sheets tied to a bedpost.


Chatham News 22 December 1939.


Upnor Publican Who Was Recalled To The Colours.

Mr. Clare Frederick Coote, 50 years-old, licensee of the "King's Arms," Upnor, who was recalled to the Royal Marines at the outbreak of war, was drowned at Dover last week. A verdict of "Found Drowned" was returned at the inquest.

Mr. Coote had served in the Royal Marines for 25 years, prior to being recalled after a lapse of 11 years.

A native of Chatham, he entered the Royal Marines as a boy of 14, and retired at the age of 39. For about four years he was steward of the Homestead Club, Wigmore. Five years ago he became the licensee of the "King's Arms," and during that time had become very popular.

Mr. Coote was a member of the Magpie Leaf Lodge of the R.A.O.B. Upnor, and as a Freemason belonged to the Beacon Court Lodge, Gillingham.

He leaves a widow and four daughters.

Mr. Coote was buried with full Military Honours at Upnor Churchyard on Wednesday, when an escort of 100 Marines with the Royal Marine Band accompanied the cortage.

Many representatives of the Buffalo and Masonic lodges were also present.

The private mourners were the Widow; Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Dyson (son-in-law and daughter); the Misses M. Coote, J. Coote and B. Coote, (daughters); Mr. A. Wallace and Mr. and Mrs. Axby.

Over fifty beautiful floral tributes were laid at the graveside.


Chatham News 29 December 1939.


Inquest Reference to Note Left by Upnor Publican.


Reference to a note left by Care Frederick Coote, the fifty years old licensee of the "King's Arms," Upnor, who was found drowned in Dover Harbour was made at the Inquest last week at Dover Town Hall.

Beatrice Alice Coote, the widow, who gave evidence of identification, said that deceased served in the Royal Marines for 21 years, retiring about a year ago. He was called up again in September. She last saw him on Monday, December 11th when he left to return to his barracks at Chatham after leave. He seemed cheerful and had no worries.

The Coroner handed Mrs. Coate a note and she agreed that it was in deceased's handwriting.

The Coroner asked Mrs. Coate if there was any truth in that?

Witness: No.

The Coroner: He Imagined it?

Witness Yes.

The letter was not read out.

Victor Clark, 7, Camden-crescent, Dover, said that on December 14th he was in the harbour in charge of a motor boat when he saw the body of a man floating about 100 yards east of the Prince of Wales Pier. With the assistance of two naval men he got the body out of the water and took it to the Granville Dock. The body was fully clothed except for a hat.

Dr. J. R. W. Richardson, Police Surgeon gave evidence that death was due to drowning and that there were no injuries.

Thomas William Nobbs, porter, "Esplanade Hotel," said that deceased had lunch at the hotel on Tuesday, December 12th, and afterwards went into the lounge. He started reading a paper and fell asleep. Between 5 p.m. and 5.10 p.m. Coote came out and put on his hat. Witness said "You've had a nice sleep, old man," and deceased replied, " Yes, I feel all right now." Deceased seemed quite cheerful.

P.C. Hogben said that he searched deceased's clothing and found a note addressed to his wife. In the overcoat pocket was the late edition of an evening newspaper dated Wednesday, December 13th. Witness had made enquiries, but had been unable to trace the movements of deceased after 5 p.m. on Tuesday, December 12th.

Summing up, the Coroner said that he found death was due to drowning, and in view of the note left by deceased he could only find that he committed suicide and at the time the balance of his mind was disturbed. He expressed sympathy with the widow and family as did Mr. Hardman on behalf of the Admiralty.


Robert Strudwick 2021

Above photo, Robert Strudwick, 2021. Who is contemplating taking on the former "Hop and Rye" at Wainscott.



BYASS Cornelius 1847-51+ (age 73 in 1851Census)

HONE Henry 1851-58+ (also brick maker age 42 in 1851Census)

HONE Mary 1861 (daughter age 24 in 1861Census)

HUNT Henry 1862+

DAY John 1871-74+ (age 66 in 1871Census)

DAY David Thomas 1878-81+ (age 38 in 1881Census)

COUCHMAN Edwin 1901+ (age 44 in 1901Census)

LEANEY Edward 1903+ Kelly's 1903

LEANEY James E 1909+

SHAW Albert 1913+

BROWN Robert James 1918-22+

BALLARD Mr B 1928+

RAYNOR Albert 1930+

COOTE Clare Frederick 1934-Dec/39 dec'd

Last pub licensee had THOMAS Florence after WW2

Last pub licensee had CAULFIELD Albert Victor 1975+

STRUDWICK Robert 2021+


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-