Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, March, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 March, 2022.


Earliest 1706

Gloster Tavern

Latest ????

(Name to)

41 The Pantiles

Royal Tunbridge Wells


The "Gloster Tavern", also referred to as "The Gloster Inn" and "Gloucester Tavern", was named after Queen Anne's son The Duke of Gloucester, also referred to as the Duke of Gloster and which is referred to in accounts dating back to at least 1706.  He died in 1700. Dates of the taverns construction vary depending on what account you read. Most state it was built in 1706. One account from 1946 says it opened in 1708. There is a plaque on the building with the date of 1706.

The "Angel Inn" and the "Sussex Inn," are both situated in the Pantiles.

Research comes from a 1946 account but relies upon information relating to a 1801 map. It says " In 1801 the "Gloster Tavern" became a private hotel or boarding house. The following year the old "Gloster Tavern" was considerably enlarged and a handsome set of rooms, known as "the Lower Assembly Rooms" was added. This became a principal hostelry of the place, the other first class inn being the "Angels" afterwards called the "Kentish".

In 1801 the Gloster Tavern (1706) became a private hotel or boarding house and the old Sussex Tavern was considerably enlarged, and a handsome set of rooms, known as "The Lower Assembly Rooms," added. Now known as the Sussex Inn, this became the principal hostelry of the place, the other first-class inn being the Angel, afterwards called the Kentish. In 1804 the buildings adjacent to the Wells, now largely occupied by Boots the Chemists, and known as Bath House, were erected. The portico over the Spring, however, was not added until 1847.


From the Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser 10 December 1937.


How many people realise that the old "Gloster Tavern," named in the 17th Century after the young son of Princess Anne of Denmark (afterwards Queen of England,) still stands on the Pantiles, whose historic name is derived from an episode in the life of the same young duke? Whilst playing on the "Walks" the young Duke slipped and fell. His royal mother afterwards decided to leave 100 for the paving of what we now know as the Pantiles.

Nearly 250 years later few of us stop as we walk the ancient Pantiles to think of its past glories. Some of its ancient buildings still remain, however, and The Old "Gloster Tavern" is one of them. No longer do its fine old rooms echo to the ribald laughter of beaus and gallants, or to the merry chink of pewter, and all the hustle and bustle of the old days. But just as then it would have seen much of the fashions and modes of the times, so to-day the "Gloster Tavern," though a tavern in longer, bids fair to becoming once again a centre of fashion.

This time, however, it is fashion in furniture, style in furnishing, and everything that is required to make the 20th century home beautiful. Messrs. Kyrle and Co. of 39 and 41, The Pantiles, having realised the enormous opportunities of opening up this grand old bit of Tunbridge Wells, have this week restored the top floors of the Old Tavern to something of their former glory and we can once more walk up one of the loveliest old Jacobean staircases left to us, and see furniture and furnishings dedicated to the tastes of the present century.

The new-old showrooms are nothing if they are not distinguished, and they present for inspection some outstanding ideas of furnishing for every taste. Glassware and china are a treasure trove, and most important of all—things are moderately priced. One of the features of this exceptionally interesting establishment is its furnishing fabrics.

The "Gloster Tavern" in its new guise is well worth a visit from an historic point of view. But I doubt whether you will come away without a treasure of some sort, if it's only a new idea, for these abound in plenty.




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-