DOVER KENT ARCHIVES
PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 16 Dec 1940

Duke without a Head

Latest 1990

 

Wateringbury

Duke without a Head

Above photo circa 1960. Permission given from John Gilham.

http://wateringbury.blogspot.co.uk/

Duke without a Head sign 1987

Above sign left 1987.

Duke without a Head card

Above aluminium card issued May 1949. Sign series 1 number 27.

 

Below information by John Gilham.

The "Duke Without A Head," Wateringbury demolished in 1990. The pub stood on the outer edge of the village on the Tonbridge road. The name came about when the licence was transferred from the original "Dukes Head" the licence stated "Permission is given to remove the Duke's Head."

The renaming ceremony took place on 16th December 1940. The former "Dukes Head" is now a house and still stands in Pizen Well which was originally directly behind the new building.

 

The pub  closed became a fish restaurant, but has since been demolished.

 

LICENSEE LIST

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML

 

LINK to www.Pubshistory.com