Sort file:- Tunbridge Wells, January, 2023.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 08 January, 2023.


Earliest 1828-

Coach and Horses

Latest 1891+

31 Parade (The Pantiles)

Royal Tunbridge Wells

Coach and Horses entrance 2017

Above photo kindly taken and sent by Steve Glover, showing the entrance to the Coach and Horses Passage.

Coach and Horses Passage sign 2017

Above sign taken and sent by Steve Glover August 2017.


I am informed the "Coach and  Horses Inn" in the pantiles was connected to the area when it was used as a stables area. It seemed to be a lodgings for commoners, rather than the well to do people who frequented the area. Then when the Hotel was built, they built the "Sussex Shades" as a place that served the ales, rather than at the hotel.


Kentish Gazette, 14 May 1844.


April 30, aged 42, Mr. J Farley, formerly of the "Coach and Horses," Tonbridge Wells.


Dover Chronicles 9 January 1847.

Death from Drunkeness and Exposure to the Cold.

On Saturday last, an inquest was held at the "Coach and Horses," Tunbridge Wells, touching the death of a hawker, name Francis Clubb. It appeared that on the evening of Monday fortnight the deceased called at the "Cross Keys," being at the time intoxicated, with his son, a lad about 14 years of age. He called for a pint of beer, which was served him. When he drank it he took a pint of beer belonging to another party that was in the house, and an entire stranger to the deceased, and partook of a draught of that too. The stranger, as night naturally be supposed, did not approve of the liberty, and after some quarrelling a scuffle ensued, but no one there perceived that any blows were struck by either party. The deceased, however, fell across the table once or twice. Shortly after the deceased and his son prepared to start home to the "Coach and Horses," but he was so drunk that he was unable to walk, and consequently Piddlesden, the landlord of the "Cross Keys," laid him on some hay in the stable. It was a bitter cold night, and the deceased and his son had no covering over them, although Piddlesden said he gave them some horse clothes for that purpose, but when he went into the stables about 7 o'clock the next morning, they were in the manger. The deceased complained of great pain during the night. On the following day he was removed to the "Coach and Horses," and Mr. Blaxland bled him and used the usual restoratives, but he sank gradually, and about a week afterwards expired. At the inquest Mr. Blaxland gave it as his opinion that the deceased died of inflammation of the bowels, brought on from exposure to the cold, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly. Deceased was about 42 years of age, and had for a long time past lived a very irregular life.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 4 February, 1860.


On Thursday afternoon a fatal accident occurred to an elderly man, named Bellchambers, who had been in the employ of Messrs. Pickford, carriers, as a porter, for years. The deceased, about five o'clock, was leading a horse attached to one of Messrs. Pickford's vans down Frant Road, and on reaching a sharp descent at the entrance to the "Coach and Horses Inn" yard, the horse being startled ran off. The old man was dragged some distance, then fell to the ground, and was run over. The wheels passed across his chest, and the unfortunate man received injuries resulting in almost immediate death. he was conveyed to the "Coach and Horses Inn," where Mr. Henning, surgeon, attended , but the old man's injuries were beyond the reach of medical skill. he has left a widow and large family.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier. 29 August 1873. Price 1d.


Charles Hill was charged with begging in St. John's-road, on the preceding evening.

Mr. Llewellyn, chemist, of St John's, stated that on Saturday evening prisoner and another man entered his shop, the door of which was left on the jar. They begged for some powdered helibore. He refused to give it them, when prisoner became violent, refused to leave the shop, used bad language, and threatened to break every glass in the shop. At length prisoner went away, and when he (witness) had finished the prescription he was then engaged in making up, he followed prisoner and spoke to a police officer. Prisoner was drunk at the time. Prisoner said that he was extremely sorry for what he had done, but he was not aware that he had done what he was charged with. He had been a soldier, and had sunstroke in India, and when he had a glass of beer it took effect on him.

James Ford was then similarly charged. Mr. Llewellyn said that Ford begged for unction, and when he was refused he joined Hill in behaving in a violent manner, and threatening to break the glasses. Ford said that he wanted to buy a pennyworth of ointment.

James Ford was then charged with unlawfully damaging a ceiling at the "Coach and Horses Inn," on the preceding day (Sunday). Prisoner said he admitted throwing a stone, but he did not think that was the stone which damaged the ceiling. Mrs. Stringer, wife of the proprietor of the "Coach and Horses," stated that on the preceding afternoon, at about five o'clock, she was in the scullery, when some one threw a stone in through the open window. The stone struck the ceiling and knocked down the mortar from a space a yard square, and she received a cut on the head either from the plaster or the stone falling on her head. On looking through the window, she saw the defendant standing near the Com Exchange, with a stone in his hand, which he threatened to throw. Some one spoke to him and told him not to do so, and he did not throw the stone. Prisoner had, she believed, been in the kitchen and asked for a bed, and was told there was not one for him. Defendant said that he was in company with a friend, and lost sixpence down the sink, which they were looking for, when some one threw a quantity of dirty water on him. He was very much annoyed at this, and said that if any more water was thrown he should throw stones, and as more water was thrown, he did throw one stone. Mrs. Stringer did not see how defendant's statement could be correct, as she was alone in the house. Defendant said there were three young men in black clothes at the window, and one gave him a light for his pipe, and one other spoke to him about his coat. The Chairman asked how the men came in custody. Supt. Embery said that a complaint was made to the police, and Ford was arrested on the Lew, and afterwards Mr. Llewellyn spoke to P. C. Morgan, and Hill was taken into custody also. The Bench committed Hill to gaol for three weeks' with hard labour, and Ford for one month.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 6 February, 1880.


The following temporary authorities were also granted:- “Coach and Horses,” Parade, to George Brinder, in lieu of Henry Punyer.



EASTLAND Vigil 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

FARLEY John 1832-May/44 dec'd age 42 (age 38 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1832-34

HEAVER Benjamin 1858+

GROVES George 1861+ (age 41 in 1861Census)


PRUDENCE Mrs 1873-74+ Kent and Sussex Courier


PUNYER Henry to Feb/1880

BRIDGER George Feb/1880-82+ (age 39 in 1881Census)

JAMIESON Isaac 1891+ (widower age 75 in 1891Census)

GRAY Edwin H 1891+ (age 41 in 1891Census Pantiles)


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kent and Sussex CourierKent and Sussex Courier



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-