Page Updated:- Sunday, 06 March, 2022.


Earliest 1860-

Blacksmith's Arms

Latest 1973+

Finch Green

The Hoath


Blacksmith's Arms 1954

Above photo, 1954.

Blacksmith's Arms 1957

Above photo, 1957.

Blacksmith's Arms 1957

Above photo, 1957.

Blacksmith's Arms ledger
Blacksmith's Arms ledger


The pub was at one time, before it closed, a Charrington's tied house.


Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 22nd September 1860.


The application of John Furminger, of the "Blacksmiths Arms" beer house, Chiddingstone, was refused.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 21 September 1861.

Petty Sessions, Wednesday.

(Before T. F. Bailey, Esq., Major Scoones, H. T. Moore, and A. Potts, Esqs.)

Mr. Cripps supported and application of John Furminger, of the "Blacksmiths Arms," Chiddingstone, for a spirit licence. There was no opposition, and the licence was granted.


Kent & Sussex Courier 19 September 1879.


At the Tonbridge Petty Sessions, on Tuesday last, the license of the "Blacksmith's Arms," Chiddingstone, was transferred from the name of John Ferminger, deceased, to Thomas Ferminger, the brother.


Kent & Sussex Courier, Friday 20 October 1899.

John Matthews was charged on three charges, with a criminal assault on Harriet Harwood at Penshurst, on the 6th October; with endeavouring to commit a criminal offence; and with robbing her of a sovereign with personal violence.

Superintendent Styles withdrew the first charge.

Mr. A. H. Neve, solicitor defended.

The prosecutrix, and aged woman, said that she had been hop picking in the neighbourhood of Penshurst, and on 6th October she was at the "Blacksmiths Arms," and left about half past 5 in the evening, after she had seen the accused in the house, but they never spoke to each other. After leaving the house she went in the direction of Penshurst when the defendant, who was in charge of a brewers dray, overtook her, and offered to give her a lift to Penshurst. She gave up a blanket, a bundle of clothes, and some mushrooms. After he had got about 100 yards defendant asked her to get up in the dray which she did. The defendant shortly afterwards assaulted her. She jumped off the dray, when the defendant stopped the horse and drew the dray on the side of the road. The defendant came up to her struck her on the side of the jaw and knocked her into the ditch, after which he again assaulted her in an indecent manner. After this assault the defendant offered her money to say nothing about what had occurred, which he refused. The defendant got up in the dray, and she followed, and ask him to put her things down which he would not do. She followed the dray and when the defendant got some distance up, the accused stopped his horse, got down, knocked her down again, insulted her and she became unconscious, but when she regained her senses she got up and found the defendant driving his dry along the road. The accused got down when she overtook him and demanded her things, when the defendant threw her basket and bundles into the road, after which he stopped his horse, got down and for the third time assaulted her, and after tearing open her bodice, took her handkerchief containing two half sovereigns. After this the defendant kicked her three times on the legs and arms, after which he stuffed a handkerchief in her mouth. After that the defendant left, and some woman came and found her.

By Mr. Neve:- She left the "Blacksmiths Arms" at 5:30, and she would say that the defendant finally left her at about 6 as it was not dark. Before the alleged assault she was not showing people in the "Blacksmiths Arms" the bruises she had. Before the assault she had no bruises except some marks of abscesses, the result of a broken arm 3 years ago.

Mrs. Emily Faircloth, the wife of Mr. T. Faircloth, a wheelwright, of Finch Green, Chiddingstone, said on Friday night, the 6th October, she had been to Charcott to pay a visit to her brother, and was returning with her sister-in-law between 6 and 7 o'clock in the evening from Penshurst to Finch Green. As they approached Finch Green they heard a scream, but she could not then form an opinion whether it was a man or a woman's voice. After that they saw a bright light and heard some screaming as of people quarrelling. As they got to the corner of the Three Went Ways, she saw that a brewers dray passed her. She saw an old woman who was lying on the ground, who made a complaint and said. "Ladies, do help me. Do you know that man on the dray, as he's insulted me; threw my things all over the place, and I'm afraid he has broken my leg." The complainant was crying and very exhausted and her things were all over the place. Witness tried to help her up, but she could not do so, and went and got her help. When witness had got help the complainant was assisted away, but she did not see this done.

By Mr. Neve:- The woman would pass some 4 or 5 houses between the "Blacksmiths Arms" to the spot where he saw her. The road was pretty much used in the evening by people leaving off work, that was the reason that she went that way. There were cottages near where she found the complainant lying.

P.C. Douglas said that he received information of the assault on the 7th October from the complainant who was in a shed at the Grove. He at once called Dr. Wood, who was on the spot in 10-minutes. From what he said witness took the woman in a fly to the Tunbridge Wells General Hospital. The complainant, who could not put her foot to the ground, had to be lifted into the fly. From the Tunbridge Wells Hospital he conveyed her to the Tonbridge Union Workhouse Hospital. From enquiries he made he went to Hadlow the same evening and saw the prisoner and told him that he understood that he had assaulted a woman the evening before at Penshurst, and that he should arrest him for the offence. The defendant said that he would rather that he should summons him than lock him up, but he replied that he was unable to do so.

Sergeant Crowhurst said that he was with the last witness when he arrested the prisoner, and added that he was at Penshurst with a dray the previous evening, and gave an old lady a ride.

Dr. Wood, of Penshurst, said that he was in practice for his brother during his illness. On Saturday morning, the 7th Oct., he was called to a woman who was in a shed at Grove Place, Pensurst. he found the complainant whose right side of her face was bruised, her lips were swollen and abraded, there was a bruise on the back of the left ankle, leg, and thigh. There was also some bruising on the left fore arm. She complained of great pain, and could not stand because of the great pain in the left leg. He advised her removal to the Tunbridge Wells General Hospital.

By the Court:- He saw a blood stain on the complainant's vest, and also blood stains on a handkerchief in the complainant's possession.

Dr. Malden, Medical Officer at the Tonbridge Workhouse, said that he did not see the complainant till Monday October 9th, when he found her in the hospital. He examined her carefully and found extensive bruising on the left leg and thigh, and the left ankle was sprained and swollen. There were bruises on the inner side of the thigh. There were some bruises on her left arm and on her left side. The woman appeared to be suffering from exhaustion and was very weak. He treated her, and she had been in the hospital ever since, and she was unfit to appear here until this morning.

By Mr. Neve:- If the woman had been struck a violent blow on her chin on Friday he should have expected to have found evidence of it on Monday, but did not do so though the complainant called his attention to her chin.

The prisoner, who reserved his defence, was committed for trial at the ensuing Assizes, and the Bench offered to admit the accused to bail, himself in 20, and 2 securities in 10, and 1 and 20.


Kent & Sussex Courier, 6 May 1932.

Insurance of hired cars.

Costs of accident recovered from garage owner.

The insurance of a car which a garage proprietor borrowed from one man to hire to another, and which was involved in an accident, was discussed before his honour Judge Dumas at Tunbridge Wells County Court yesterday (Thursday). The plaintiff, who had already been sued in consequence of the accident, was Charles Channon, a young electrician, of High Street, Tonbridge, and he claimed 51 2s. 8d. from Harry Lloyd, garage proprietor, of Southborough.

Mr. F. S. Harris appeared for plaintive and Mr. H. Rix for defendant.

Mr. Harries said that in the case which came before his Honour at Tonbridge, judgement was given against Channon in a claim for negligence. He was ordered to pay 24 damages and 15 3s 10d. in costs, while his own costs amounted to 11 18s. 10d. He now claimed these amounts from Lloyd, from whom he hired the car which was concerned in the accident. Lloyd had borrowed the car from a Mr. Darlington, whose insurance policy did not cover its being hired to anyone else.

Cyril Darlington, of the "Blacksmiths Arms," Chiddingstone Hoath, said he bought the car from Lloyd, who borrowed it from him on a number of occasions to hire out. The car was insured for private hire through Lloyd, who was the agent of the insurance company. Lloyd knew that the insurance did not cover hire in the car to other people, but said it will be all right, as he had an insurance to cover it.

Plaintiff stated that he had hired cars from defendant for about two and a half years. Before the compulsory insurance came into force he paid 25s. a day, and afterwards Lloyd told him that the insurance will cost 5s. a day extra. Since then he had generally paid 30s. and had been under the impression that he was covered.

Following the accident he told defendant he was sorry he had messed the car up, and he replied:- "That's all right, old chap, you know it is covered by insurance.

Douglas Colin Tranter, Pembury Road, Tonbridge, said he was in the car with plaintive when the accident occurred. Later he heard Lloyds tell Channon that there was nothing whatever to worry about as the car was fully insured.

Giving evidence, Lloyd stated that at no time was anything said about paying 25s. for the car and 5s. extra for insurance.
In reply to his honour, he declared that he did not tell Channon after the passing of the Road Traffic Act that he would have to pay extra for insurance. On former occasions Channon had signed an insurance form.

His Honour:- Do you mean that cars could not be taken out on hire unless a special form had been signed?

Not unless the form have been signed.

Do you remember telling plaintive that it would be all right, as he was covered by insurance?

I cannot remember.

By Mr. Harries:- He was under the impression that Mr. Darlington's car was covered by insurance.

His honour gave judgement for plaintiff with costs.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 22 December, 1950.

Blacksmith's Arms beagles 1950

Above photo showing the Bolebrook Beagles who seemed to wag their tails a little faster than usual as they moved off from the "Blacksmith's Arms," Chiddinstone Hoath, on Saturday morning. Probably the snow, plus the excitement of the occasion caused the acceleration.

Fairwell presentation 1973

Above photo, July 1973, showing the goodbye presentation to the owner of the pub.


From the Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, 24 September, 1870.


The Petty Sessions were held on Tuesday before C. Powell, Esq., (in the Chair), A. Pott, Esq., Major Scones, Sir David Solomons, Bart., M.P. and J. G. Talbot, Esq., M.P.

In regards to the "Blacksmith's Arms," Chiddingstone, Mr. Cripps made an application on behalf of Mr. Ferminger, the landlord, that his house should be renewed.

The bench granted the renewal.


From the Courier, 25 April, 1930.


THE WEDDING of Miss Dorothy Grace Langridge, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Langridge, of 11, Chafford Cottages, to Mr. William Arthur Carey, and of Mrs. Carey, and of the late Mr. Carey, of "Blacksmith's Arms," Chiddingstone Hoath, took place at St. Peter’s, on Easter Monday, the Rev. J. F. Johnson officiating. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a green dress and hat, and carried a bouquet of narcissi and maidenhair fern. Miss Joan Doris Langridge (niece of the bride) was the only bridesmaid, and was dressed in daffodil yellow with hat to match. She carried a bouquet of daffodils, and received a bangle as her gift from the bridegroom. Mr. James W. Carey (brother of the bride-groom) was best man. A reception was held at the bride’s home, and later in the day the happy couple left for their new home at Yew Tree Cottage, "Blacksmith's Arms," Chiddingstone Hoath. Numerous presents were received.



FIRMINGER John Thomas 1860-Sept/79+ (also blacksmith age 62 in 1861Census)

TAYLOR Alfred 1881-82+ (age 33 in 1881Census)

COLLINS George 1891-1913+ (age 43 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1903

CAREY Mr pre 1930

DARLINGTON William 1930-32+

TOOGOOG Alfred T 1938+

HALL John & Edwina 9/Nov/1946-Oct/50


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-