Page Updated:- Tuesday, 24 May, 2022.


Earliest  1840-

Anchor and Hope

Latest 1862+



Anchor and Hope map 1874

Above map 1874 showing the location of the pub.


The following information has been taken from


The "Anchor and Hope" alehouse was situated at Lower Hope Point and served the increasing number of seamen and rivermen who frequented the number of jetties and mooring places along the Thames foreshore. According to an entry in Kelly's Directory of 1862 Hope Point had a small battery, built in 1796, that was converted into a public-house: the "Anchor and Hope," frequented the number of jetties and mooring places along the Thames foreshore.Margaret Germain 1831-88

The North Aylesford Petty Sessional Division Magistrates Court entry for 1840 shows that a Mr. John Huggins successfully applied for a victualler's licence which he held until May 1844 when it was transferred to Mr. Joseph Henry Germain (born 23rd October 1797.)

Mr. Germain lived on the premises with his wife, Sarah, and his 8 children. Unfortunately he died of Apoplexy (possible stroke or heart attack term was used to record sudden death) witnessed by his daughter Margaret (shown right) before the birth of William, his ninth child.

After his death in September 1857 his wife, whom he married on 9th May 1831 in Chatham, Sarah Ann Germain, ne้ Morling, became the licensee.

Joseph, after marrying Sarah, went to Canada where their first child Margaret was born. Whilst on their return to England Sarah gave birth to their second child, Joseph Colyton, on 5th November 1834 whist at sea.

Joseph Colyton died at the age of 11 in 1845 as did his younger brother Henry, who was aged 9.

There is no recorded record of any other licensee after 1862 so it appears that the Anchor & Hope ceased trading as an alehouse after this time. This was possibly due to competition from ‘The Shant Pottery Beerhouse' at the Johnson's Cement works site known as the "Masons Arms" or due to the building of the new alehouse, The "Canal Tavern," by the Pottery.

After the closure of the beer house the house became a private dwelling known as Hope House. Hope House, in 1918 was lived in by Mr. Shacklady who was the manager of the Curtis & Harvey Powder Works. It was a large house complete with tennis courts.



HUGGINS John 1840–44

GERMAIN Joseph Henry 1844–57 (age 54 in 1851Census)

GERMAIN Sarah 1857–62+




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-